Author Topic: Submerged rocket launches and their environmental/noise impact - Sea Dragon  (Read 1306 times)

Offline plainstuds

• nowhere
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
I have been interested in the sea dragon rocket for awhile. i have been reading a lot about it recently. while reading all of the discussions about the sea dragon, one thing never gets discussed. people do not talk about what kind of affect it can have on marine life. so when it comes to a rocket in the size of sea dragon, how will it affect marine life? is there any way to solve it if the noise of the rocket becomes an issue? the idea behind it is simple compared to other rockets and submerged/underwater launches seem like a great way to launch. you would not have to build a big land tower and other support systems for it, the water will take care of everything. but a rocket that size will create so much noise pollution for the life under the water. or will it not? any thoughts? this is one aspect of submerged launches i would love to learn more about. also what problems other than noise can there be for marine life under the water with rockets like sea dragon launching?
« Last Edit: 01/05/2018 07:54 AM by plainstuds »

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 453
  • Likes Given: 1053
My grand father used to kill fishes by firing his riffle underwater. I just can imagine that a Sea Dragon would cause a lot of havoc amid the marine fauna, for miles and miles. Whales, fishes, would get a bad moment.
...you have been found guilty by the elders of the forum of a (imaginary) vendetta against Saint Elon - BLAAASPHEMER !

Offline tdperk

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 53
Sea life which can move is used to dealing with unacceptably noisy things by moving away.

Make louder and louder noises in the hours prior to launch.   They leave.

Offline plainstuds

• nowhere
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
I have posted this same question on the r/rocketry subreddit. seems like generally, they all say that any sea dragon or big submerged launch will not affect marine life in a significant way compared to the thing already going on in everyday life. things such as constant military sonar and ships and submarines. especially since these things are much for of an everyday thing compared to an infrequent rocket launch.

here is the reddit link

https://www.reddit.com/r/rocketry/comments/7oa0u2/sea_dragon_submerged_rocket_launches_and_their/

Tags: