Author Topic: Black Mirror: USS Callister  (Read 3294 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Black Mirror: USS Callister
« on: 01/04/2018 01:51 PM »
British dark comedian, Charlie Brooker wrote it. Hopefully available to all on Netflix as really something.

Not for kids. Don't be fooled by the promo. It's everything The Orville hoped it could have been....had it been far, far darker.

Online nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 178
Re: Black Mirror: USS Callister
« Reply #1 on: 01/04/2018 01:55 PM »
I've not seen any black mirror, I've been waiting until I can start at the beginning and watch it evolve. Is it ok just to jump in and watch this or is it better to start at the beginning? I think each episode is stand alone, right?

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #2 on: 01/04/2018 02:05 PM »
I've not seen any black mirror, I've been waiting until I can start at the beginning and watch it evolve. Is it ok just to jump in and watch this or is it better to start at the beginning? I think each episode is stand alone, right?

Yep, this is absolutely standalone.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3417
  • Likes Given: 803
« Reply #3 on: 01/04/2018 09:33 PM »
They're really obsessed with "cookies" this season.
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? Well... have you heard of Zeno's paradox?

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #4 on: 01/05/2018 11:52 AM »
That sure was a freaky-good episode.

Some rumblings they might spin it off to a standalone series.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #5 on: 01/09/2018 12:27 PM »
That sure was a freaky-good episode.

Some rumblings they might spin it off to a standalone series.

I really hope so. I'm already invested in the crew, unlike The Orville. ;)

Offline Dao Angkan

• Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #6 on: 01/09/2018 07:57 PM »
Without spoiling it, how is Black Mirror to someone that hasn't watched it before? Appealing to fans of the Twilight Zone? I have a long haul flight later this week so looking for something to watch on the journey (I guess this episode at least, along with the latest Discovery will kill some time).

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #7 on: 01/09/2018 08:40 PM »
Yeah, don't watch season 1 episode 1 and you'll be fine.
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? Well... have you heard of Zeno's paradox?

Offline sanman

• Liked: 574
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #8 on: 01/10/2018 07:27 AM »
I saw the "USS Callister" episode and found it to be okay, but nothing special.

It takes a sharp poke at the Trek nerd fan culture, but seems to mainly skewer the introverted nerd personality with a macabre portrayal.

Reminds me of some other famous short fiction, like the Twilight Zone episode "It's a Good Life", the Outer Limits episode "The Sand Kings", and even James Joyce's short story, "Counterparts". Those may be worth checking out too, if this show tickled your fancy.

I guess I just didn't construe it as space sci-fi, since it makes it clear from the start that it's more Matrix-like.
« Last Edit: 01/18/2018 11:32 AM by sanman »

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 471
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #9 on: 01/10/2018 12:18 PM »
Yeah, don't watch season 1 episode 1 and you'll be fine.

I just saw that one... Quite compelling viewing, tho I am glad we didn't see everything!

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #10 on: 01/10/2018 09:33 PM »
For anyone who doesn't do subtext well, season 4 of Black Mirror is about:

E1: Digital privacy at work.
E2: Digital privacy of your children.
E3: Digital privacy and crime.
E4: Digital privacy and dating.
E5: Who knows... maybe the proliferation of fake news and Twitter bots or something?
E6: Digital privacy in medicine and the justice system.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6956
  • Likes Given: 4746
« Reply #11 on: 01/11/2018 12:00 AM »
Just watched it ...not sure I see how it could be spun off into a series but it was interesting. The usual stuff that programmers laugh at as impossible, but that's OK.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Norm38

• Likes Given: 660
« Reply #12 on: 01/17/2018 04:15 PM »
I'm hit or miss on Black Mirror episodes.  That dark universe they inhabit makes me really mad and just makes me want to get off this rock.
But the Callister episode was really good.  Even knowing the twist, I want to re-watch it.  There are a few points where a healthy suspension of disbelief is necessary, but the pacing, tension, suspense of the episode is great.

Offline Norm38

« Reply #13 on: 01/17/2018 04:42 PM »
And I just saw this pop up on Facebook (which means the internet is spying on me :))
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/black-mirror-director-wants-spinoff-series-for-season-4s-uss-callister?__source=Blastr_Vayner_Syfy_Facebook&utm_source=
facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=blackmirrorspinoff
&utm_term=genre_interest&utm_content=link_ad

(massively long URLs makes the internet cry - Chris).
« Last Edit: 01/18/2018 01:17 AM by Chris Bergin »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #14 on: 01/17/2018 05:26 PM »
And I just saw this pop up on Facebook (which means the internet is spying on me :))

How? I asked before, but still want to know.... how would that even work? If you're in a simulation, every episode ends with Deus Ex Machina, I think.
« Last Edit: 01/18/2018 01:17 AM by Chris Bergin »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Norm38

« Reply #15 on: 01/17/2018 06:28 PM »
^^^Well, and I'll give the SPOILERS tag:

At the end they say "We're in the Cloud" and run into a spaceship controlled by some gamer.  So I could create a scenario around that.  They're in the cloud, but they're not tied to some player account, they're not being saved and don't have a backup.  They're rogue code.  And if they get killed in the simulation, they're gone.
There could even be a TRON type element where the system recognizes there is rogue code and tries to capture/destroy them.  So they have to deal with the dangers of the in-game elements, dangers from hostile players, and dangers from the system itself.

So then what is the story arc?  To try and escape the simulation?  Or to just live the best lives possible they can.  (But would they age?)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #16 on: 01/18/2018 12:32 AM »
yeah, forgot about the rogue part. thanks

Offline Bynaus

• Planetary Scientist
  • Switzerland
  • Liked: 308
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #17 on: 01/20/2018 10:53 PM »
Agree on "hit and miss" with Black Mirror, and in my view, this was a hit (although I'd say that a majority of the episodes are good, clever, although they also tend to get into my head - can't watch more than one or two per evening).

I'd watch a "USS Callister" spin-off mini-series (although the ship is really ugly ;) ). So many possibilities: // SPOILER // like the characters getting in touch with their real world selves, the crew interacting with human players & getting the universe organized, what happens to Daly, does he ever get out and if so, what happens then, what is the very long term future of this universe, etc.

Tags: