Author Topic: Falcon Heavy - NASASpaceflight member meetup  (Read 71479 times)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Re: Falcon Heavy - NASASpaceflight member meetup
« Reply #40 on: 01/09/2018 12:51 am »
I know Dixie Crossroads got mentioned a few times, but to help cover the bases, I want to throw Zarrella's in Cape Canaveral out there too.

neither of those please.  There are some better places.  After all, this is not space hipbreakers.
At first I read that as Space Hipsters (the FB group) but now I am just wondering what you mean... slippery floors? A lot of bar fights?

I rather liked Rising Tide, which was Marek C's suggestion when we got together last week...
« Last Edit: 01/09/2018 01:01 am by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
« Reply #41 on: 01/09/2018 01:14 am »
I know a few locations, don't know if they're any good for a meetup. Are we looking to stay close to Port Canaveral?
« Last Edit: 01/09/2018 01:14 am by Orbiter »
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline DigitalMan

• Liked: 1178
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #42 on: 01/09/2018 02:42 am »
Count me in too

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #43 on: 01/09/2018 02:50 am »
I know Dixie Crossroads got mentioned a few times, but to help cover the bases, I want to throw Zarrella's in Cape Canaveral out there too.

neither of those please.  There are some better places.  After all, this is not space hipbreakers.
At first I read that as Space Hipsters (the FB group) but now I am just wondering what you mean... slippery floors? A lot of bar fights?

I rather liked Rising Tide, which was Marek C's suggestion when we got together last week...

Lar?   ::)
Hipbreakers?  ???
As in the crowd for whom that is the most likely failure mode and biggest worry?  :o
"Senectitude"  :)

(Check out today's A.Word.A.Day.)
« Last Edit: 01/09/2018 02:58 am by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

« Reply #44 on: 01/10/2018 04:30 am »
I am so glad I found this discussion! I am planning on coming down to watch the launch with my old man. When I was a kid I found a book of his called "Footsteps on the Moon" on a book shelf and I've been hooked on space ever since. Been looking forward to this rocket ever since it was announced. We would be coming in from Chicago and don't know anyone in the area. I was hoping some NSF folks might be up for a gathering. Count us in for any pre/post launch festivities! I'll keep tabs on this thread and look forward to whatever shakes out.

Offline Lostmojo

• Shanghai
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #45 on: 01/10/2018 06:07 am »
Wish I could be there, too bad I live on the other side of the planet from where FH launches.

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 561
  • Likes Given: 400
« Reply #46 on: 01/10/2018 04:26 pm »
I will be there unless it slips a lot and my work project doesn't. I live in Orlando so it is an easy trip. If we have people coming into OIA (MCO) I can suggest hotels, restaurants, meetup locations, etc. as I live just a few miles away. Might be open to carpooling some people too, but I have to find out if my car is already full of local fans.

Offline mdeep

• NSF Photographer
  • Tampa Bay
  • Liked: 1138
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #47 on: 01/10/2018 07:36 pm »
Really everything in Port Canaveral is a safe bet.

« Reply #48 on: 01/10/2018 07:46 pm »
i've never been to the cape. What would those of you who have been there say is the closest and most optimal public place to catch a launch and landing?

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #49 on: 01/10/2018 08:32 pm »
i've never been to the cape. What would those of you who have been there say is the closest and most optimal public place to catch a launch and landing?

This is the ultimate resource:
http://www.launchphotography.com/Delta_4_Atlas_5_Falcon_9_Launch_Viewing.html

Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach is going to be your best bet if you want to catch the landing. The best spot to catch both launch and landing appears to be just off Rt 401, just outside the air force base gates and across the street from SpaceX launch control, HERE
« Last Edit: 01/10/2018 08:34 pm by Lars-J »

Offline leetdan

• Space Coast
  • Liked: 323
  • Likes Given: 282
« Reply #50 on: 01/10/2018 09:10 pm »
I think the secret's out about 401, it's going to be absolutely slammed come FH time.  I haven't been by in awhile -- last time I was there it looked like they were adding fill, as if they were going to widen the shoulder.  Carpooling wouldn't be a bad idea either way.

« Reply #51 on: 01/10/2018 09:47 pm »
After flying around Google Earth a bit I found that 401 location is clearly labeled "ROCKET LAUNCH VIEWING"! So, yea I agree with you that it will probably be a mob scene around there. But if it is a public area and the best place to take it all in might be worth the hassle.

« Last Edit: 01/10/2018 09:48 pm by CeeJayDugan »

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
  • Liked: 4868
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #52 on: 01/11/2018 02:52 am »
After flying around Google Earth a bit I found that 401 location is clearly labeled "ROCKET LAUNCH VIEWING"! So, yea I agree with you that it will probably be a mob scene around there. But if it is a public area and the best place to take it all in might be worth the hassle.
Further west along the road is the best. If you are just before the curve, you will be able to see the stop of stage one after it lands.
« Last Edit: 01/11/2018 02:55 am by Michael Baylor »

Offline Ike17055

• Liked: 198
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #53 on: 01/11/2018 04:31 am »
Is it safe to assume Exploration Tower is not an option?

Btw, I just got back from 10-day holiday vacation at Cape and missed the FH on the pad by about one hour. I am prepped to fly back down from PA once a date is set, assuming I can book flight without trouble.  If there is a get-together, I would certainly enjoy attending.

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #54 on: 01/11/2018 04:51 am »

Btw, I just got back from 10-day holiday vacation at Cape and missed the FH on the pad by about one hour. I am prepped to fly back down from PA once a date is set, assuming I can book flight without trouble.  If there is a get-together, I would certainly enjoy attending.

You might want to book a trip for a week or so (if you can), once the first launch date is announced. Arrive the day before, and then you have several days there in the likely situation that the launch could slip several days.

I'm personally going to be in Orlando for two days in early February for a business trip, I might get lucky. :D But I don't have an option to stay longer, gotta get back to work.
« Last Edit: 01/11/2018 04:52 am by Lars-J »

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
« Reply #55 on: 01/12/2018 06:07 pm »

I've not tried out exploration tower yet, but on google earth it appears that there is a silo directly between it and the landing pad so you might not be able to actually see the stage touch down. That, and it has limited space so I'm not sure how the crowds will work out.

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
« Reply #56 on: 01/12/2018 06:12 pm »
How is the landing from the Jetty Park Pier? Looks good on maps but having been to the park it is pretty low compared to the surrounding land but I've never gone out onto the pier.

I usually go to 401, but as others have noted, it has been getting pretty packed just for regular F9 launches. There are some dirt mounds by the road that I used to climb up, but now I get yelled at by sheriffs when I do that. There aren't any signs saying I can't, but whatever.

So for FH I'll probably go the Pier for a good landing view, or to Playalinda to hear the rumble of that beast (will probably wear clothes though). Or if there is a meetup somewhere I might go see some of you usernames in real life.

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #57 on: 01/13/2018 03:40 am »
How is the landing from the Jetty Park Pier? Looks good on maps but having been to the park it is pretty low compared to the surrounding land but I've never gone out onto the pier.

I usually go to 401, but as others have noted, it has been getting pretty packed just for regular F9 launches. There are some dirt mounds by the road that I used to climb up, but now I get yelled at by sheriffs when I do that. There aren't any signs saying I can't, but whatever.

So for FH I'll probably go the Pier for a good landing view, or to Playalinda to hear the rumble of that beast (will probably wear clothes though). Or if there is a meetup somewhere I might go see some of you usernames in real life.

I've never seen a landing in person, but Jetty Park seems to have a pretty good view...

Image 1 source: https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/6tny4a/hold_onto_your_hats_falcon_9_landing_from_jetty/
Image 2 source: https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/7k0jni/launched_and_landed_falcon_9_and_dragon_each_fly/

You might have a more unobstructed view by being slightly south of the pier on the beach, as picture 2 shows. (looks like it is halfway between jetty park and the Cocoa beach pier)
« Last Edit: 01/13/2018 03:58 am by Lars-J »

Offline TripD

• Peace
  • Liked: 851
  • Likes Given: 677
« Reply #58 on: 01/13/2018 05:21 pm »
That 2nd pic seems amazingly close!

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #59 on: 01/13/2018 08:16 pm »
That 2nd pic seems amazingly close!

It wouldn’t look anywhere close like that in real life. It must have been taken with a pretty strong telephoto lens - probably ~300mm+, which makes things look a lot closer than in real life.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography