Author Topic: Falcon Heavy - NASASpaceflight member meetup  (Read 9755 times)

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 2547
  • Likes Given: 405
Falcon Heavy - NASASpaceflight member meetup
« on: 01/03/2018 06:29 PM »
Hey all!

So while we don't have a definitive date yet for Falcon Heavy's debut, there's been considerable interest expressed in having an NSF member meet up for dinner/drinks before launch.

So I'm kicking off this thread.

Details will follow once we have a target launch date (including restaurant options and when/with what to contact me so I can make reservations).

Offline brihath

• Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: Falcon Heavy - NASASpaceflight member meetup
« Reply #1 on: 01/03/2018 06:54 PM »
I am definitely interested, as long as there are no other conflicts with my schedule.  I live about 15 miles east of Tampa, so it would be about a two hour drive for me.  I will keep checking this thread for developments regarding the scheduled date. 

Offline kslagle

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: 01/03/2018 06:55 PM »
Thank you for setting this up.  All I have wanted to do for as long as I can remember is see a launch.  At 47, its time to drop everything and make it happen.  I assume hotels and such fill up quickly, any expert advice on travel logistics?  I get that this will be an expensive, last-second airline ticket at least, but hopefully I will be able to find a rental car and room somewhere?

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 2504
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #3 on: 01/03/2018 07:00 PM »
Like the Shuttle never went away, a NSF meet-up.... did a few of those from 2008 to 2011, so depending on the launch date you can count me in as well, lets see how old you guys became ;)

Offline Comga

• Liked: 1342
  • Likes Given: 1091
« Reply #4 on: 01/03/2018 07:13 PM »
Thank you for setting this up.  All I have wanted to do for as long as I can remember is see a launch.  At 47, its time to drop everything and make it happen.  I assume hotels and such fill up quickly, any expert advice on travel logistics?  I get that this will be an expensive, last-second airline ticket at least, but hopefully I will be able to find a rental car and room somewhere?

Not a local so no specifics but....

1 Go!  Do it.
2 Be prepared to wait out delays.  Every time I have gone, most of the people have left after the first scrub.  Persist.
3 Unless there are lots of delays, the launch should occur before high season, which is when Spring Breaks start, I believe.  Things shouldn't be that tight for cars and rooms.  There's always something.
4 Get a ticket with frequent flier miles if you can, which can sometimes be turned back in, or on SouthWest, where they can be converted to credit that is good for a whole year from when you first bought them.
5 Don't post.  Don't take photos during launch or landing. (Unless photography is really your thing.) Others will take amazing photos. Just soak it in. Focus on the experience.    Feel the roar of the engines and the sonic booms. (Double triple, with some luck!)
6 Go!  Enjoy.

edit: Will this thread double as an observing tips thread, too?
« Last Edit: 01/03/2018 07:15 PM by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2541
  • Likes Given: 1917
« Reply #5 on: 01/03/2018 07:20 PM »
Til end of summer last year I'd think this would have be a totally nuts idea. Expected months to close on a launch once on pad.

But given the more rapid pace of assembly and fit checks ... might happen.

Guess I've assumed that FH would been much like DIVH, which often made Shuttle look like a rapid response vehicle ...

Offline ZachS09

« Reply #6 on: 01/03/2018 07:28 PM »
To be honest, it would be cool to participate in this gathering, but as I have a busy semester starting next week, I will be unable to meet up.

But there's a chance that I will view the launch from a different location by myself with a few other Embry-Riddle students.
"Liftoff of Falcon 9: the world's first reflight of an orbital-class rocket."

Offline mdeep

• Photographer
  • Tampa Bay
    • Mike Deep Photography
  • Liked: 243
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: 01/03/2018 08:06 PM »
I know Dixie Crossroads got mentioned a few times, but to help cover the bases, I want to throw Zarrella's in Cape Canaveral out there too.
Mike

Offline posigrade

• Boston, MA
« Reply #8 on: 01/04/2018 01:49 AM »
5 Don't post.  Don't take photos during launch or landing. (Unless photography is really your thing.) Others will take amazing photos. Just soak it in. Focus on the experience.    Feel the roar of the engines and the sonic booms.

Too true. I went to the totality line in SC for the eclipse this summer, and got some amazing photos. I certainly would have taken it in better if I'd just put down the camera.

Trying to figure out how to get down for the launch, or at least the first few scrubs, but Boston's a hike. Hopefully we'll get a WDR in the next week after Zuma, and some more info.

Online MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 805
  • Likes Given: 1515
« Reply #9 on: 01/04/2018 01:52 AM »
The launch I want to get together with you guys for is the Lunar Falcon Heavy mission; if and when it happens...
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline jon.amos

• Orlando, Florida, USA
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 269
« Reply #10 on: 01/04/2018 01:52 AM »

This is near Orlando, cars, rooms, dining, entertainment to wait out delays and keep non rocket nerd family entertained are plentiful and realiitivly inexpensive.

Count me in if work allows.
“The light bulb wasn’t invented by continuously improving the candle…it was about understanding what the job to be done was and then stepping back to look for solutions to solve this”

« Reply #11 on: 01/04/2018 02:27 AM »
I'd absolutely love to join in the fun, but it's quite the trip from PA, and school is important.
Proud creator of Ian's Paper Model Rocket Collection:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42383.0

Offline WindnWar

• South Carolina
  • Liked: 217
  • Likes Given: 1199
« Reply #12 on: 01/04/2018 03:04 AM »
I plan to be there for the launch so count me in, I'll be driving down from SC. Did that a few times for shuttle launches, once made the trip 3 times to see a scrub 2 times before finally seeing a launch. Was a lot of fun!

I've yet to be down for a Falcon launch and landing yet but there is no way I'm going to miss this. Will probably bring the Sony FS5 with me to get the launch in 4k.

Offline ClayJar

• Baton Rouge, LA, USA
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #13 on: 01/04/2018 12:33 PM »
I went to see the last launch of Discovery (and got to see a launch without delays... well, without delays during my trip).  Told work that I'd be back "after", but I *had* to see at least one Shuttle launch in person.  I'm thinking about heading over from Baton Rouge for the Falcon Heavy, but I'll have to play it by ear (currently re-roofing my house by myself, with a few interior walls torn out to add to the fun).  I had 12 weather-scrubbed days in an 18-day Christmas break, so I'm way behind schedule, but then again, maybe I *need* to go, as I've already totally exhausted all my bad luck. ;D

Don't post.  Don't take photos during launch or landing. (Unless photography is really your thing.) Others will take amazing photos. Just soak it in. Focus on the experience.    Feel the roar of the engines and the sonic booms. (Double triple, with some luck!)

I heartily agree with this, but with one small change:  Take one picture.  That's what I did with Discovery, and it feels good to have one objectively worthless but subjectively sentimental photo.  I get to look at all the great shots from everyone else, and there with them is my one "point generally toward the launch and press the button once" shot to show that I was there.  8)

Offline mattstep

• Iowa, USA
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 1244
« Reply #14 on: 01/04/2018 01:51 PM »
I am planning on going and would be interested in meeting some folks. My current plan is to drive from Iowa once the static fire is complete and the first attempt date seems relatively firm. Not going to miss this one!

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 503
  • Likes Given: 254
« Reply #15 on: 01/04/2018 03:44 PM »
I'm on FL West coast in winter, so assuming it happens before mid-April, I'd drive over.  Blackout dates for me would be Feb spring break when family comes here to visit.
I've always expected a Feb launch; may well miss that if things go smoothly...end Jan.
“When it looks more like an alien dreadnought, that’s when you know you’ve won.”

Offline WindnWar

• South Carolina
  • Liked: 217
  • Likes Given: 1199
« Reply #16 on: 01/04/2018 04:18 PM »
I went to see the last launch of Discovery (and got to see a launch without delays... well, without delays during my trip).  Told work that I'd be back "after", but I *had* to see at least one Shuttle launch in person.  I'm thinking about heading over from Baton Rouge for the Falcon Heavy, but I'll have to play it by ear (currently re-roofing my house by myself, with a few interior walls torn out to add to the fun).  I had 12 weather-scrubbed days in an 18-day Christmas break, so I'm way behind schedule, but then again, maybe I *need* to go, as I've already totally exhausted all my bad luck. ;D

Don't post.  Don't take photos during launch or landing. (Unless photography is really your thing.) Others will take amazing photos. Just soak it in. Focus on the experience.    Feel the roar of the engines and the sonic booms. (Double triple, with some luck!)

I heartily agree with this, but with one small change:  Take one picture.  That's what I did with Discovery, and it feels good to have one objectively worthless but subjectively sentimental photo.  I get to look at all the great shots from everyone else, and there with them is my one "point generally toward the launch and press the button once" shot to show that I was there.  8)

That Discovery launch was the one I saw, it was postponed several times due to various problems with the ET and the day of launch was almost scrubbed due to a range computer issue. It ended up going off with I think 6 seconds left in the launch window. Was worth the multiple trips.

Online Jakusb

• NL
  • Liked: 307
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #17 on: 01/04/2018 04:29 PM »
I would love to take a short holiday and watch the launch, and of course meet up for dinner.
Little challenge, as I live in Europe and have to book a flight and have to manage it with the family...
As soon as the date gets more firm, I will do my best to figure out a way to be in FL for several days from opening of launch window.
Will be a serious challenge, but if there is any chance I will take it.

Offline tdrb6115

• Prague, Czech Rep.
    • drb.cz
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #18 on: 01/04/2018 04:49 PM »
I would love to take a short holiday and watch the launch, and of course meet up for dinner.
Little challenge, as I live in Europe and have to book a flight and have to manage it with the family...
As soon as the date gets more firm, I will do my best to figure out a way to be in FL for several days from opening of launch window.
Will be a serious challenge, but if there is any chance I will take it.
I thought I can resist but right now I am not sure at all, it is a bit of a challenge to get there from central Europe but should be worth it

Offline laszlo

• Liked: 163
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #19 on: 01/04/2018 05:05 PM »
Put an HD digital video cam (preferably with a good telephoto) on a tripod. Aim at the pad and flight path. Make sure you have a large empty SD card. When they start fueling, start the camera and watch the show with eyeballs (and maybe binoculars). After the show, pick through your thousands of frames of photos and find the good one.

Have fun guys.

Online cscott

• Liked: 1843
  • Likes Given: 658
« Reply #20 on: 01/04/2018 05:33 PM »
I've got good seats for the STP-2 mission, thanks to the light sail Kickstarter... But I'm still considering packing up at short notice and trying to see this inaugural launch.  We'll see how work and family responsibilities and airfares work out when the launch draws nigh.

I might be bad luck, though---the last launch-and-NSF-meetup I attended was for SES-9 in Feb 2016 and I managed to pay KSC $$$ for two scrubs in a row.  I'm thinking the public beach near jetty park would be the right thing this time; it should have a great view of the dual landing.

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 1445
  • Likes Given: 2056
« Reply #21 on: 01/04/2018 05:46 PM »
I plan on being there for the launch (assuming it doesn't slide over and over).

I guess we need to know an approximate launch time to determine a restaurant meet up, or other location for the actual launch.
Bring the thunder Elon!

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #22 on: 01/04/2018 05:53 PM »
How many do you think might attend - I might have a very interesting solution!
It's all in the data.

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 328
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #23 on: 01/04/2018 06:04 PM »
I'm interested.  I live in East Alabama, and it is about a 8-10 hour drive.  I'm retired, so no problem with timing.  Was planning on a winter vacation sometime around mid-January anyway. 

Would like to know more concrete times, so I or all of us can get hotel/motel arrangements. 
« Last Edit: 01/04/2018 06:07 PM by spacenut »

Online cscott

« Reply #24 on: 01/04/2018 06:21 PM »
Generally I'd suggest Fishlips for a meetup location. The ASDS and support navy ought to be out at sea, but it's pretty close to SpaceX launch & landing control, so folks could nip over for a visit.

There's not a core erected outside the LCC yet, is there?

Offline wes_wilson

• Armchair Rocketeer
  • Florida
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 94
« Reply #25 on: 01/04/2018 07:09 PM »
Interested.  I live in Tampa and plan to drive over to see it assuming I'm not traveling for work when the date gets firmed up.

@SpaceX "When can I buy my ticket to Mars?"

Online Michael Baylor

• Liked: 338
« Reply #26 on: 01/06/2018 03:05 AM »
I'm thinking the public beach near jetty park would be the right thing this time; it should have a great view of the dual landing.
For any NSFers without media credentials, I recommend this site: https://www.google.com/maps/@28.4154883,-80.623802,16.47z

You will have a clear unobstructed view of the pad and a better view of the landing. You want to see the pad for this launch. Due to the high risk, it will be nerve wracking watching it (hopefully) clear the FSS.

Additionally, because the road is elevated above the water, you should be able to see the top half of each stage after landing.

The only drawback is that it technically says "no parking." I am not aware of there ever being any issues. But, if you don't want to risk it just park at the port and Uber the rest of the way.

The only spot that could be better is if KSC offers some additional viewing locations. The NASA Causeway would be amazing. It splits the distance between pad and landing zones. However, it's typically not open to the public. That being said, this is the most exciting launch at KSC since the final Shuttle mission, so they might add some additional viewing locations. Keep an eye out!

As for me, unfortunately I won't be able to attend anything. I was going to fly in for the launch, but due to the delay it will take place while I am at college. I am very jealous of all of you.  >:(
« Last Edit: 01/06/2018 03:07 AM by Michael Baylor »

Offline CyndyC

« Reply #27 on: 01/06/2018 04:55 PM »
Will it be considered acceptable if in the middle of any technical discussions someone pulls out his or her phone and Googles some or all of what was just said, instead of or before contributing to the discussion? I'm sure some of the most knowledgeable people here are dependent on Google occasionally, but probably not as often or as much as some others. I'm asking for a friend  ;)
"Joy to the world!" -- G.F. Handel

Offline Comga

« Reply #28 on: 01/07/2018 02:31 PM »
Can anyone here say if Kars Park is open to the public?
Streetview doesn't show any gates or signs that limit driving at least to the gate.
This was the official launch viewing site for New Horizons.
It is decently close to both LC-40 and LZ-1 with pretty clear lines of sight.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Online cscott

« Reply #29 on: 01/07/2018 03:16 PM »
Will it be considered acceptable if in the middle of any technical discussions someone pulls out his or her phone and Googles some or all of what was just said, instead of or before contributing to the discussion? I'm sure some of the most knowledgeable people here are dependent on Google occasionally, but probably not as often or as much as some others. I'm asking for a friend  ;)
Certainly!  A little thought before speaking is always appreciated.  I've always appreciated that forums allow a slightly better ratio of thought to speech. It would a shame if a face-to-face meetup eroded that ratio.

Offline visionik

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #30 on: 01/08/2018 02:38 PM »
Count me in.  I live in Orlando.

I also have two 80 amp Tesla chargers and one 40 amp on-site if any Tesla owners drive down and need some charging.

-J

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 169
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #31 on: 01/08/2018 03:38 PM »
I live on Merritt Island, so I will be going meet up or no.  I'd be glad to get together with anyone who gets down here.

KARS Park is not open to the Public. 

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 5786
  • Likes Given: 3880
« Reply #32 on: 01/08/2018 06:46 PM »
I was hoping to catch something when I was down there over NYE, but all I caught was a cold. I am looking at how to make it happen...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 2547
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #33 on: 01/08/2018 06:57 PM »
How many do you think might attend - I might have a very interesting solution!

I honestly have no idea.  I plan to put out the formal call for "Let me know who's coming and how many in your group" once Static Fire is done and we have a target launch date.

Offline C5C6

• Regular
  • Córdoba - Argentina
    • programaespacial.com
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #34 on: 01/08/2018 07:17 PM »
Count me in!

Offline TrueBlueWitt

• Space Nut
  • Mars in my lifetime!
  • DeWitt, MI
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #35 on: 01/08/2018 07:26 PM »
I'm going to try to make it down for this one, have to check flight options once timeline firms up.

Online GORDAP

• St. Petersburg, FL
  • Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #36 on: 01/08/2018 08:22 PM »
I'll probably try to come over from the FL west coast, if/when it looks like a launch is actually probable that day.

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 503
  • Likes Given: 254
« Reply #37 on: 01/08/2018 11:00 PM »
I'll probably try to come over from the FL west coast, if/when it looks like a launch is actually probable that day.

Yup. I'm just south of Tamper and will go unless it's the days my family visits.
“When it looks more like an alien dreadnought, that’s when you know you’ve won.”

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9873
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #38 on: 01/09/2018 12:16 AM »
I know Dixie Crossroads got mentioned a few times, but to help cover the bases, I want to throw Zarrella's in Cape Canaveral out there too.

neither of those please.  There are some better places.  After all, this is not space hipbreakers.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9873
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #39 on: 01/09/2018 12:17 AM »
All in

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 5786
  • Likes Given: 3880
« Reply #40 on: 01/09/2018 12:51 AM »

neither of those please.  There are some better places.  After all, this is not space hipbreakers.
At first I read that as Space Hipsters (the FB group) but now I am just wondering what you mean... slippery floors? A lot of bar fights?

I rather liked Rising Tide, which was Marek C's suggestion when we got together last week...
« Last Edit: 01/09/2018 01:01 AM by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 388
  • Likes Given: 913
« Reply #41 on: 01/09/2018 01:14 AM »
I know a few locations, don't know if they're any good for a meetup. Are we looking to stay close to Port Canaveral?
« Last Edit: 01/09/2018 01:14 AM by Orbiter »
Attended space missions: STS-114, STS-124, STS-128, STS-135, Atlas V "Curiosity", Delta IV Heavy NROL-15, Atlas V MUOS-2, Delta IV Heavy NROL-37, SpaceX CRS-9, SpaceX JCSAT-16, Atlas V GOES-R, SpaceX SES-11.

Offline DigitalMan

• Liked: 41
« Reply #42 on: 01/09/2018 02:42 AM »
Count me in too

Offline Comga

« Reply #43 on: 01/09/2018 02:50 AM »

At first I read that as Space Hipsters (the FB group) but now I am just wondering what you mean... slippery floors? A lot of bar fights?

I rather liked Rising Tide, which was Marek C's suggestion when we got together last week...

Lar?   ::)
Hipbreakers?  ???
As in the crowd for whom that is the most likely failure mode and biggest worry?  :o
"Senectitude"  :)

(Check out today's A.Word.A.Day.)
« Last Edit: 01/09/2018 02:58 AM by Comga »

« Reply #44 on: 01/10/2018 04:30 AM »
I am so glad I found this discussion! I am planning on coming down to watch the launch with my old man. When I was a kid I found a book of his called "Footsteps on the Moon" on a book shelf and I've been hooked on space ever since. Been looking forward to this rocket ever since it was announced. We would be coming in from Chicago and don't know anyone in the area. I was hoping some NSF folks might be up for a gathering. Count us in for any pre/post launch festivities! I'll keep tabs on this thread and look forward to whatever shakes out.

Offline Lostmojo

• Shanghai
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #45 on: 01/10/2018 06:07 AM »
Wish I could be there, too bad I live on the other side of the planet from where FH launches.

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 286
  • Likes Given: 200
« Reply #46 on: 01/10/2018 04:26 PM »
I will be there unless it slips a lot and my work project doesn't. I live in Orlando so it is an easy trip. If we have people coming into OIA (MCO) I can suggest hotels, restaurants, meetup locations, etc. as I live just a few miles away. Might be open to carpooling some people too, but I have to find out if my car is already full of local fans.

Offline mdeep

• Photographer
  • Tampa Bay
    • Mike Deep Photography
  • Liked: 243
« Reply #47 on: 01/10/2018 07:36 PM »
Really everything in Port Canaveral is a safe bet.
Mike

« Reply #48 on: 01/10/2018 07:46 PM »
i've never been to the cape. What would those of you who have been there say is the closest and most optimal public place to catch a launch and landing?

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 2836
  • Likes Given: 1787
« Reply #49 on: 01/10/2018 08:32 PM »
i've never been to the cape. What would those of you who have been there say is the closest and most optimal public place to catch a launch and landing?

This is the ultimate resource:
http://www.launchphotography.com/Delta_4_Atlas_5_Falcon_9_Launch_Viewing.html

Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach is going to be your best bet if you want to catch the landing. The best spot to catch both launch and landing appears to be just off Rt 401, just outside the air force base gates and across the street from SpaceX launch control, HERE
« Last Edit: 01/10/2018 08:34 PM by Lars-J »

Offline leetdan

• Space Coast
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #50 on: 01/10/2018 09:10 PM »
I think the secret's out about 401, it's going to be absolutely slammed come FH time.  I haven't been by in awhile -- last time I was there it looked like they were adding fill, as if they were going to widen the shoulder.  Carpooling wouldn't be a bad idea either way.

« Reply #51 on: 01/10/2018 09:47 PM »
After flying around Google Earth a bit I found that 401 location is clearly labeled "ROCKET LAUNCH VIEWING"! So, yea I agree with you that it will probably be a mob scene around there. But if it is a public area and the best place to take it all in might be worth the hassle.

« Last Edit: 01/10/2018 09:48 PM by CeeJayDugan »

Online Michael Baylor

• Liked: 338
« Reply #52 on: 01/11/2018 02:52 AM »
After flying around Google Earth a bit I found that 401 location is clearly labeled "ROCKET LAUNCH VIEWING"! So, yea I agree with you that it will probably be a mob scene around there. But if it is a public area and the best place to take it all in might be worth the hassle.
Further west along the road is the best. If you are just before the curve, you will be able to see the stop of stage one after it lands.
« Last Edit: 01/11/2018 02:55 AM by Michael Baylor »

Offline Ike17055

• Liked: 45
« Reply #53 on: 01/11/2018 04:31 AM »
Is it safe to assume Exploration Tower is not an option?

Btw, I just got back from 10-day holiday vacation at Cape and missed the FH on the pad by about one hour. I am prepped to fly back down from PA once a date is set, assuming I can book flight without trouble.  If there is a get-together, I would certainly enjoy attending.

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #54 on: 01/11/2018 04:51 AM »

Btw, I just got back from 10-day holiday vacation at Cape and missed the FH on the pad by about one hour. I am prepped to fly back down from PA once a date is set, assuming I can book flight without trouble.  If there is a get-together, I would certainly enjoy attending.

You might want to book a trip for a week or so (if you can), once the first launch date is announced. Arrive the day before, and then you have several days there in the likely situation that the launch could slip several days.

I'm personally going to be in Orlando for two days in early February for a business trip, I might get lucky. :D But I don't have an option to stay longer, gotta get back to work.
« Last Edit: 01/11/2018 04:52 AM by Lars-J »

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
« Reply #55 on: 01/12/2018 06:07 PM »

I've not tried out exploration tower yet, but on google earth it appears that there is a silo directly between it and the landing pad so you might not be able to actually see the stage touch down. That, and it has limited space so I'm not sure how the crowds will work out.

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
« Reply #56 on: 01/12/2018 06:12 PM »
How is the landing from the Jetty Park Pier? Looks good on maps but having been to the park it is pretty low compared to the surrounding land but I've never gone out onto the pier.

I usually go to 401, but as others have noted, it has been getting pretty packed just for regular F9 launches. There are some dirt mounds by the road that I used to climb up, but now I get yelled at by sheriffs when I do that. There aren't any signs saying I can't, but whatever.

So for FH I'll probably go the Pier for a good landing view, or to Playalinda to hear the rumble of that beast (will probably wear clothes though). Or if there is a meetup somewhere I might go see some of you usernames in real life.

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #57 on: 01/13/2018 03:40 AM »
How is the landing from the Jetty Park Pier? Looks good on maps but having been to the park it is pretty low compared to the surrounding land but I've never gone out onto the pier.

I usually go to 401, but as others have noted, it has been getting pretty packed just for regular F9 launches. There are some dirt mounds by the road that I used to climb up, but now I get yelled at by sheriffs when I do that. There aren't any signs saying I can't, but whatever.

So for FH I'll probably go the Pier for a good landing view, or to Playalinda to hear the rumble of that beast (will probably wear clothes though). Or if there is a meetup somewhere I might go see some of you usernames in real life.

I've never seen a landing in person, but Jetty Park seems to have a pretty good view...

Image 1 source: https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/6tny4a/hold_onto_your_hats_falcon_9_landing_from_jetty/
Image 2 source: https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/7k0jni/launched_and_landed_falcon_9_and_dragon_each_fly/

You might have a more unobstructed view by being slightly south of the pier on the beach, as picture 2 shows. (looks like it is halfway between jetty park and the Cocoa beach pier)
« Last Edit: 01/13/2018 03:58 AM by Lars-J »

Offline TripD

• E. Clampus Launchus
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #58 on: 01/13/2018 05:21 PM »
That 2nd pic seems amazingly close!

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #59 on: 01/13/2018 08:16 PM »

It wouldn’t look anywhere close like that in real life. It must have been taken with a pretty strong telephoto lens - probably ~300mm+, which makes things look a lot closer than in real life.

Online cscott

« Reply #60 on: 01/16/2018 02:01 PM »
I suspect the photographer was pretty far up and back on the beach as well, to put enough distance between himself and the beachgoers that he could get them both in the same perspective-compressed shot.  A great shot by a news-agency photographer looking to put a human-interest shot on the front page.  The amateur photographers and non-camera-wielding viewers appear to be crammed up on the shoreline, where they might get slightly more pixels on their sesnors/retinas but no context to their shots.

I'm thinking that the difference in the tree line, making the landing site less obstructed, is actually due to the photographer being back and up (a dune?) on the beach.  If you're right at the water's edge, your altitude would be in fact a few feet *less* than on the jetty further north, and so the treeline would probably appear similar.

There's a rooftop viewing location at jetty park; it might be worth watching from there rather than trying to cram onto the pier to be a few hundred feet closer.
« Last Edit: 01/16/2018 02:03 PM by cscott »

Offline Comga

« Reply #61 on: 01/16/2018 05:05 PM »

It wouldn’t look anywhere close like that in real life. It must have been taken with a pretty strong telephoto lens - probably ~300mm+, which makes things look a lot closer than in real life.

From a  link on the Reddit page, it's just down the beach from the pier at Jetty Park.
« Last Edit: 01/16/2018 05:05 PM by Comga »

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #62 on: 01/16/2018 05:58 PM »

From a  link on the Reddit page, it's just down the beach from the pier at Jetty Park.

Keep reading the reddit thread, a bit down the photographer corrects him that he was further south, below Cherie Down Park.
« Last Edit: 01/16/2018 05:59 PM by Lars-J »

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 169
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #63 on: 01/17/2018 01:01 AM »
I will probably watch the launch/landing from along the SR 528 Causeway on Merritt Island at the North Banana River Exit.  (first picture)  The Causeway is circled in yellow (you can get off the road at several places by just driving off onto the shoulder.  You will see cars parked all along the way.  Its best to not stop on the road, but it happens a lot.  There are some places by the bridge abutments you can park.  Its about 20 km to the pad.

An excellent alternative spot is on Cape Canaveral from the beach in the vicinity of Cherry Down Park (second picture - circled in black).  Be careful where you park, the Canaveral Police are sometimes pretty aggressive.  Since school is in session, best not to park in the school.  It is not so good for the lift off from 39B (but it did offer excellent views of Delta II Launches) and it has a nice view of the whole cape for the landing.  (Third Picture.)  It is further away of course than Jetty Park, but you do get a nice view.
« Last Edit: 01/17/2018 01:02 AM by mike robel »

Tags: