Author Topic: Salyut-7, the movie, now on Amazon Prime  (Read 9255 times)

Offline Skylab

• Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 55
Salyut-7, the movie, now on Amazon Prime
« on: 12/18/2017 07:40 pm »
The semi-accurate Salyut-7 film is now available on Amazon Prime UK (and perhaps elsewhere).

http://amzprime.maft.uk/info/B077TKLQST/s
« Last Edit: 12/18/2017 07:40 pm by Skylab »

Offline flyright

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 716
  • Likes Given: 1882
Re: Salyut-7, the movie, now on Amazon Prime
« Reply #1 on: 12/19/2017 01:06 am »
Thanks for pointing this out. I've been hoping it would show up on Amazon Prime.
I just verified it is available in the U.S. as well.

Offline punder

• Liked: 1827
  • Likes Given: 1436
« Reply #2 on: 12/19/2017 04:45 pm »
We watched it last night on Amazon Prime, in the US. Excellent film, with just a few off notes (e.g. the Shuttle subplot and depiction, the obligatory needy/angry wife, the early pointing out of vacuum silence that isn't carried forward). But overall, wonderful. Totally convincing microgravity scenes.

So, the toy you always see hanging in the Soyuz descent module--that started with this mission? I really need to read up on Salyut 7.

Thanks for posting!!

Offline flyright

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 716
  • Likes Given: 1882
« Reply #3 on: 12/19/2017 11:17 pm »
This was a fun movie to watch. The special effects are good, and the true story that inspired this fictional account is pretty amazing. The fictional parts do bring into focus the very real fears and paranoia on all sides during the Cold War.

NSF has a good thread for more information on the Salyut-7 rescue: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=35657.0

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #4 on: 12/20/2017 02:18 pm »
Not on global Prime Video. Region lockouts suck.  :(

Offline ICEINK

« Reply #5 on: 12/21/2017 01:11 am »
   On Saylut-7 : Frank X. Cassella
5.0 Stars  out of 5 starsSpaceflight Drama Real Life on Amazon
December 19, 2017
Great Directing, Director: Boris Khlebnikov Excellent work. Excellent interaction with CGI and set design. Great Actors and ActressesSeamless in putting you the observer right up in space along side the Cosmonaut's and Russian Mission Control. This movie captures a real life drama of losing the Saylut 7 and all of it's secrets to their counter parts in the US Space Program. This film portrays more than that of a countries struggle to to be the best and keep it's state secrets. This movie shows what Cosmonauts and their families struggles with in living life in a risky business being a part of the Space Program in Russia and their life and death decisions of how to survive with the overwhelming odds of making the Salyut Space Station livable. This movie is a must for sci-fy fans alike and more. The story line keeps you riveted to what is going to happen next and how they will survive and get back to their loving families and friends. This is a must for spaceflight fans showing the artistic mastery of Cinematography.
Frank X Cassella
KB1IFX

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #6 on: 01/07/2018 04:26 am »
I just watched this and really like it. Well-made.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #7 on: 01/07/2018 04:39 am »
I've encountered the French Blu-Ray that only has French subtitles! So the Amazon video version has confirmed English subtitles, yes?
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #8 on: 01/07/2018 04:40 am »
Yes.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #9 on: 01/07/2018 06:54 am »
I wish they'd release it on DVD and Blu-ray with English subtitles. We can't get Amazon video in New Zealand :(
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #10 on: 01/21/2018 07:48 am »
I remember reading about this mission when I was a teenager. The temperature gauge wasn't working, and so they had to spit and see how long it took to freeze, in order to estimate the temperature.

Here's the (subtitled) trailer for the movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6537238/

The year is 1985. The unmanned Soviet space station Salyut 7, which is in low Earth orbit, suddenly stops responding to commands from the Control Center. If the space station - the pride of Soviet space engineering - falls from the sky, not only will it damage the image of the country, it will also be a disaster bringing untold casualties. To investigate the failure and prevent the catastrophe, people must be sent to the station. Yet no one in history has ever attempted to dock an uncontrolled vehicle in space. To this day, this mission is considered to be the most technically challenging in the history of space exploration.
« Last Edit: 12/17/2018 02:14 am by sanman »

Offline ICEINK

« Reply #11 on: 01/21/2018 07:50 am »
Great movie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frank X Cassella
KB1IFX

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #12 on: 02/10/2018 05:35 am »
I really enjoyed this, despite some inaccuracies. An interesting Russian point of view as well.

Amazing visual effects and attention to technical detail. (besides the details they get wrong)  ;) But well worth it if you have Amazon Prime.

Offline Cheapchips

• UK
  • Liked: 861
  • Likes Given: 1931
« Reply #13 on: 02/10/2018 05:43 am »
I enjoyed this too. The visual effects / zero g stuff was phenomenal.  Worth a watch that basis alone.  It's well made all round though.

And I always enjoy nationalism from non-western countries in movies for some reason.  I've no idea why. I find that ridiculous and irritating in US and British movies. :-)
« Last Edit: 06/26/2018 10:37 am by Cheapchips »

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
« Reply #14 on: 02/11/2018 09:34 am »
It works as a movie, but not as a true description of what happened. Beautiful imagery and gritty-looking CGI combined with over-the-top dramatization. The encounter at the very end is just ridiculous.

Offline eeergo

« Reply #15 on: 06/26/2018 09:37 am »
Just watched this movie during a KLM flight, as I couldn't find it subtitled in the "usual" channels and my Russian listening isn't up to the task.

I'm not a fan of dreamlike reality reinterpretations where real facts are intermingled with absurd fantasy (even if they carry a valid symbolism) with no way of knowing which part is which - so if you're into that, my review probably doesn't carry much weight.

Spoilers ahead, by the way.

I was truly puzzled at my ignorance of the history of Salyut-7 when I started seeing a real soldering experiment I knew about had had a suit puncturing event. Even if it was overblown for the movie, I was shocked not to have read about it, but I figured it was one of those Cold War incidents that didn't get reported and Western analysts either got wrong or glossed over in the 90s, perpetuating it. UFO/blue ghostly lights sightings were also not mentioned in any archive I could find, but that could very well be a poetic license - although it's central to the movie. MMOD strikes as the motivation for the Salyut-7 loss of control was apologetic to the true nature of the failure at best, but ok sure.

Then Challenger came about. It's fine, they probably had their concerns, and the "empty payload bay" could just be paranoia. Some inaccuracies in the Soyuz launch (with silly car acrobatics to lead it in), but nothing major.

Halfway in, things got more bizarre. I didn't know the freezing temperatures had caused such a major flooding of the station (certainly not with water pouring out from behind panels), but I had read about the crew donning winter clothes to get some warmth while working, and the grueling conditions they worked through.

Then there was a fire?! When?! This certainly had to be a nightmare induced by the cosmonauts' illness, I thought, maybe combined with the vodka. Turns out half of the station (and the Soyuz!) gets melted by a huge blaze, and the way to put it out was to depressurize the Station from the inside, while an EVA was happening (and donning the second Orlan in about 30 seconds)! This is definitely not real, the dream hypothesis must be true (à la Vremya Pervikh when they hallucinate in the Voskhod).

Things get weirder by the second, with a delirious semi-burned cosmonaut wanting to open the aft Salyut hatch and being forcefully retained, Challenger launching indeed empty, plans being drawn up -and getting extremely close to actually getting implemented- to deorbit/ASAT the Station to avoid having it sequestered by the Shuttle, and a trippy EVA being improvised in a few minutes during LOS with MCC-M to try to nudge the adamantium sun tracker baffle which just got bent during an MMOD strike out of the way. Good stuff for a nightmare, but this was dragging on and I was watching the movie time remaining out of the corner of my eye, not understanding how they were going to sort this mess out in the few minutes before the end. Shuttle (with closed PLB doors) pops in just as they break the (apparently bad-quality adamantium) bolts holding the baffle in place, regaining power just as the Supreme Soviet was about to IS them out of the way, and a surreal salute follows.

Sure enough, no hallucination involved, all sold as a plausible story! And the movie ends with (very nice, OTOH) historical footage of Soyuz T-13, making it seem even more factual to somebody who hears about Salyut-7 for the first time. This is terribly deceptive IMO. The movie was visually stunning and well-directed - but the unnecessary fantasy (the rescue of Salyut-7 didn't need inventing such antics to be worth a movie) blew it for me.
-DaviD-

Offline Oersted

« Reply #16 on: 07/02/2018 01:48 pm »
eeergo, I believe that the soldering incident in the beginning is free fantasy as well.

Fun fantasy movie, but it is unfortunate that many viewers (especially in Russia) will think it is a documentary.

It is as far from a truthful re-telling of events as most Hollywood fare,.. - i.e. very far.

Offline thammond

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: 07/05/2018 03:22 pm »
eeergo, I believe that the soldering incident in the beginning is free fantasy as well.

Fun fantasy movie, but it is unfortunate that many viewers (especially in Russia) will think it is a documentary.

It is as far from a truthful re-telling of events as most Hollywood fare,.. - i.e. very far.

The welding incident isn't "pure fantasy", as there was a welding experiment performed on one of the earlier expeditions to Salyut 7 by Svetlana Savitskaya (the 1st historical female EVA).  But I could not find any information about a suit puncture during the experiment, so guessing that part was made up.

Some of the storylines are completely fictional while some such as the welding incident are based on a historical fact, but greatly embellished in true Hollywood style.

One item of curiosity though is just how difficult/dangerous was the docking attempt in reality?

Offline Oersted

« Reply #18 on: 07/06/2018 10:40 pm »

The welding incident isn't "pure fantasy", as there was a welding experiment performed on one of the earlier expeditions to Salyut 7 by Svetlana Savitskaya (the 1st historical female EVA).  But I could not find any information about a suit puncture during the experiment, so guessing that part was made up.

That is what I meant by the soldering incident being pure fantasy. There was no suit puncture.

Offline maint1234

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #19 on: 11/29/2018 12:13 am »
Nice movie. Seemed so much more realistic than the hollywood sci fi movies. Obviously not 100 % true to actual events but was surprised by the quality of the visuals.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography