Author Topic: The Orville premiere on Fox  (Read 16533 times)

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3103
  • Likes Given: 743
Re: The Orville premiere on Fox
« Reply #120 on: 12/10/2017 01:08 AM »
However, I really liked the next to last show.

A blue Rob Lowe.
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? Well... have you heard of Zeno's paradox?

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 1194
  • Likes Given: 785
« Reply #121 on: 12/10/2017 01:13 AM »
However, I really liked the next to last show.

A blue Rob Lowe.

No, not that one. New Dimensions, episode 11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Orville
« Last Edit: 12/10/2017 01:53 AM by yg1968 »

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 578
  • Likes Given: 685
« Reply #122 on: 12/10/2017 03:09 PM »
I like the show for the most part but the last show seemed like another "ode to atheism" (you need to get rid of religion in order to invent warp drive seems to be the message). I wished McFarlane would stop with his atheism preaching. However, I really liked the next to last show.

They're really only copying a running theme in Star Trek, which can be summarised as: "Even if God exists, a truly healthy interstellar society neither wants nor needs a deity (indeed, that such a being would be intrinsically unneeded and harmful)."
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Online sanman

• Liked: 498
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #123 on: 12/11/2017 06:28 AM »
I like the show for the most part but the last show seemed like another "ode to atheism" (you need to get rid of religion in order to invent warp drive seems to be the message). I wished McFarlane would stop with his atheism preaching. However, I really liked the next to last show.

They're really only copying a running theme in Star Trek, which can be summarised as: "Even if God exists, a truly healthy interstellar society neither wants nor needs a deity (indeed, that such a being would be intrinsically unneeded and harmful)."

I remember in the opening shot of the episode it said it was written by Seth MacFarlane (apparently he wrote most of the episodes - though not all).

Perhaps the title was a little blunt, and the social messaging a little heavy-handed. But I found the idea of them witnessing the evolution of a planet's civilization in big jumps to be interesting. Orson Scott Card made use of relativistic travel for this in his Ender novels. They used some kind of cheap Treknobabble for the explanation in this episode - it's too bad they couldn't come up with a relativistic explanation for the time jumps.

There's a Japanese anime made by Hideaki Anno called "Gunbuster", which uses relativistic travel very poignantly to provide a really great ending - I was actually expecting this episode of The Orville to end similarly, but instead it kind of ended on a rather limp note.

Offline Dao Angkan

• Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #124 on: 01/09/2018 07:21 PM »
So this debuted on Fox in the UK with 0.66m viewers (over 7 days), which is pretty good for a minor channel like Fox (their only other show to chart that week was the heavily advertised "The Walking Dead" with 1.35m). Unfortunately it didn't make the Top 30 for the next few weeks as this was the holiday period where non-regular programmes such as family movies took up some of the places.

For some perspective, the latest season of Red Dwarf ranged from 0.8m - 1.14m viewers on the channel "Dave", which commissioned it (still hopeful for another season or two with those numbers).

Also: Gunbuster is awesome, it still holds up to this day.
« Last Edit: 01/09/2018 07:38 PM by Dao Angkan »

Tags: