Author Topic: House on Mars  (Read 1360 times)

Online Eric Hedman

• Liked: 267
  • Likes Given: 233
House on Mars
« on: 11/11/2016 03:08 AM »
The Daily Mail has an article about a Mars concept house on display at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich until next Wednesday:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3924260/Your-future-house-Mars-Martian-home-reveals-life-like-red-planet.html

If anyone goes to see it, please post your pictures and your comments.

Offline Hanelyp

• Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 252
Re: House on Mars
« Reply #1 on: 11/15/2016 04:06 AM »
Based on photos on the linked page:

- The shell appears to be fairly primitive masonry, which for engineering purposes is commonly assumed to have zero tensile strength.
- While internal pressure might be countered by weight of a shell, the depicted shell is an order of magnitude too thin for that.
- Given that the outer masonry shell can't contain internal pressure by tensile strength or weight, and presuming the designers haven't goofed big time, I have to assume that the liner contains the pressure.  The masonry shell would serve as protection from dust storms and other mechanical threats, and provide some radiation shielding and insulation.

Offline Rei

• Iceland
  • Liked: 188
  • Likes Given: 58
Re: House on Mars
« Reply #2 on: 11/16/2016 02:03 PM »
If it's inner-pressure supported, then I'd expect that big window to be bowed outward.  Unless that's supposed to depict a cutaway and not an actual window.

The plants therein are all houseplants, not crops, and are receiving light levels that would be bad even for a houseplant, let alone a crop plant.  Even if they were crops and were brightly lit by a multi-kilowatt array, that's only enough area to get you an occasional snack.

Those stairs are a terrible waste of space and mass over a simple ladder.

I can't even guess what those "stability wings" are supposed to accomplish. Did he think they were buttresses?

No comments at all about how the basic dome is supposed to be transported / assembled.  No comments about how earthmoving is supposed to be done or about how the "microwave sintering" system is supposed to function.  It's supposed to have a basement - nothing about how it's supposed to be dug, leveled, compacted, sides shored up, etc. Or about how the foundation in general is supposed to work.

I'm seeing a lot of issues in general here.  I looked up the designer/builder... appears he's a science writer, but I can't find any info about whether he even has a degree in any scientific field.  He lists no actual scientific work in his resume.
« Last Edit: 11/16/2016 02:09 PM by Rei »

Tags: Mars habitat