Author Topic: Boeing plans to beat SpaceX to Mars  (Read 4677 times)

Offline Eric Hedman

• Liked: 331
  • Likes Given: 258
Boeing plans to beat SpaceX to Mars
« on: 10/05/2016 06:32 PM »
Boeing CEO Dennis Mullenburg says they plan to beat SpaceX to Mars in the follow article (videos included):

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/05/technology/boeing-mars-spacex-elon-musk/index.html

Offline smfarmer11

• Blacksburg
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 56
Re: Boeing plans to beat SpaceX to Mars
« Reply #1 on: 10/05/2016 06:41 PM »
He said that the first people will get to Mars using a Boeing . This most likely refers to the SLS through its utilization by NASA as how Boeing would "get there first."

Online Pipcard

• Liked: 123
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #2 on: 10/05/2016 07:23 PM »
Compared to SpaceX's optimism, Boeing is currently more conservative about the expected timeframe for a human Mars landing (mid-late 2030s), especially in regards to "proving ground" tests. So I'm guessing he's thinking that ITS fitting everything into one vehicle, using large-scale Mars ISRU, etc. is too ambitious and low-TRL to be practical, and that it will be delayed a lot. I'm not sure whether he'll be right or not.

(image source)

« Last Edit: 10/05/2016 07:45 PM by Pipcard »

Offline Eric Hedman

• Liked: 331
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #3 on: 10/05/2016 07:54 PM »
It's nice to see a little competitive spirit building.  I think that just might help push whoever gets there first to move a little faster than they otherwise would.

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 552
  • Likes Given: 275
« Reply #4 on: 10/06/2016 04:31 PM »
At least they're paying attention. The plans and intent of Boeing/NASA are so radically different from SpaceX that it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Boeing is a loyal supplier and will change with NASA and NASA is sensitive to politics and public opinion. Now they are still flags and footprints in the distant future but that may change.

Online Hobbes-22

• Acme Engineering
    • Acme Engineering
  • Liked: 148
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #5 on: 10/06/2016 04:38 PM »

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 2908
  • Likes Given: 3783
« Reply #6 on: 10/06/2016 04:56 PM »
"Boeing CEO Dennis Mullenburg says they plan to beat SpaceX to Mars"

GOOD!

Elon Musk was asking for both competition and cooperation on getting to Mars, so it's nice to see Boeing throwing their hat into the ring.

Now if only NASA could pay them to do this it might actually happen, since I doubt they are speaking only for themselves, and I think they are assuming "Boeing" to be "NASA going to Mars using Boeing-built hardware".

Still, it's good to see.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline TakeOff

• Liked: 81
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #7 on: 10/08/2016 01:22 PM »
Elon Musk's Mars colonial plan requires huge unsolved financing. Maybe ULA confidently knows that the US government won't provide SpaceX with any help beyond today's rate. Because they want their own SLS+Orion+everythingthatismissing not to be outcompeted. I think ITAR blocks SpaceX from any foreign cooperation. So Dennis Mullenburg seems to be making a safe bet, given status quo policy. And no revolutionary market change, which seems unlikely now shortly after the second Falcon 9 failure with lost payload. However, after rain there's sunshine and maybe things will change to the better for SpaceX next.
« Last Edit: 10/08/2016 01:26 PM by TakeOff »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1859
  • Likes Given: 183
Boeing plans to beat SpaceX to Mars
« Reply #8 on: 10/08/2016 05:03 PM »
I gave up on the thread I started on this as I could not find online a decent source, preferable a video of the speech this guy made so we can see what he actually said rather than second hard reporting. I searched the Atlantic website and came up with nothing. I see the OP has done better than me. And after all that it's a throw away comment at the end of an interview and that's it. It's clear now he's referring to SLS and not some grand plan of Boeing's own design unlike Space X's fancy pipe dream.
« Last Edit: 10/08/2016 05:17 PM by Star One »

Offline Khadgars

• Long Beach, California
  • Liked: 213
  • Likes Given: 609
« Reply #9 on: 10/08/2016 05:29 PM »
Of course he is referring to SLS, Boeing is the main contractor for it.  SLS is 2 years away from its first flight. 

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1859
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #10 on: 10/08/2016 05:51 PM »
Of course he is referring to SLS, Boeing is the main contractor for it.  SLS is 2 years away from its first flight.

I was expecting more than just that the way it was reported in some quarters.

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 692
  • Likes Given: 6230
« Reply #11 on: 10/08/2016 09:11 PM »
Boeing CEO Dennis Mullenburg says they plan to beat SpaceX to Mars in the follow article (videos included):

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/05/technology/boeing-mars-spacex-elon-musk/index.html

He would, wouldn't he?

So what company (private capital) resources do we know Boeing is spending on this effort to "beat SpaceX to Mars"?
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 182
  • Likes Given: 359
« Reply #12 on: 10/09/2016 03:41 AM »

He would, wouldn't he?

So what company (private capital) resources do we know Boeing is spending on this effort to "beat SpaceX to Mars"?

Funding is probably the biggest advantage Boeing has over Spacex and most of it's assets are in stable investments.
Another advantage SLS is a lot farther along then ITS.
One is where the Saturn V was in 1966 the other is still mostly at the concept stage.
Though Spacex can beat them unmanned with Red Dragon but  Boeing has already been involved in Mars missions.
« Last Edit: 10/09/2016 05:04 PM by Patchouli »

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4082
  • Likes Given: 5600
« Reply #13 on: 10/09/2016 12:45 PM »

And 20 away from Mars.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 692
  • Likes Given: 6230
« Reply #14 on: 10/09/2016 06:32 PM »

He would, wouldn't he?

Funding is probably the biggest advantage Boeing has over Spacex and most of it's assets are in stable investments.
One is where the Saturn V was in 1966 the other is still mostly at the concept stage.
Though Spacex can beat them unmanned with Red Dragon but  Boeing has already been involved in Mars missions.

I believe you may have failed to state one of your key presumptions.  As we all learned in Philosophy 101, must understand unstated presumptions of the other party before you can really get the rhetoric straightened out.

I have not seen any answer, or any source, where Boeing is substantially doing anything on Mars with their own private capital. If I'm wrong about that, please provide a source.

So it would appear that your conclusion that the Boeing "funding is probably the biggest advantage Boeing has over Spacex" is not actually talking about Boeing-provided funding, but rather, US government funding to Boeing.  Am I incorrect on this?
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Offline mulp

• merrimack, nh
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #15 on: 10/10/2016 05:02 AM »

He would, wouldn't he?

I believe you may have failed to state one of your key presumptions.  As we all learned in Philosophy 101, must understand unstated presumptions of the other party before you can really get the rhetoric straightened out.

I have not seen any answer, or any source, where Boeing is substantially doing anything on Mars with their own private capital. If I'm wrong about that, please provide a source.

So it would appear that your conclusion that the Boeing "funding is probably the biggest advantage Boeing has over Spacex" is not actually talking about Boeing-provided funding, but rather, US government funding to Boeing.  Am I incorrect on this?
Boeing, ULA, Lockheed, have more capital in lobbyists and more jobs to bribe members of Congress with to get laws that direct all tax dollars their way.

Tags: