Author Topic: Pad 39A - Transition to SpaceX Falcon Heavy debut - Thread 3  (Read 310529 times)

Online russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 907
  • Likes Given: 509
Re: Pad 39A - Transition to SpaceX Falcon Heavy debut - Thread 3
« Reply #680 on: 01/06/2018 03:06 PM »
Launching from SLC-40.  Will be interesting to see if any F9 launch from 39A in the first half of 2018.

Why wouldn't they?
I believe because of the not insignificant amount of work required to reconfigure the frame back to a single stick (and then back again for the next FH launch).
actually conversion back and forth is relatively quick and straight forward. FH post launch evaluation and pad inspection and the unknowns post FH-01 is the main reason of uncertainty for 39A schedule.

Offline quagmire

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #681 on: 01/06/2018 03:14 PM »
Launching from SLC-40.  Will be interesting to see if any F9 launch from 39A in the first half of 2018.

Why wouldn't they?

SpaceX needs to finish the modifications to 39A once Falcon Heavy lifts off on its first flight( finish taking down the RSS, install CAA, extend the FSS, add hammerhead crane). I don't remember reading anywhere if the extension of the FSS and hammerhead crane is still in the works or where in the priority list it is for SpaceX. I imagine the priority for SpaceX with 39A is finish taking down the RSS and then getting it ready Dragon v2/crew demo mission. The extension of the FSS and the crane depends on if SpaceX still sees money to be made for Air Force missions that require vertical integration. I just don't know if SpaceX would want to do that post-CAA installation. But it does look like the CAA will be installed on the RSS's hinge point according to the renders. So it would be out of the way for those modifications.

39A's utilization will now drastically decrease with 40 back up. So unless needed to help with the manifest, 39A will only be used for FH, crew missions, and missions that require vertical integration if that is still in the plans.

Online IanThePineapple

Why wouldn't they?

SpaceX needs to finish the modifications to 39A once Falcon Heavy lifts off on its first flight( finish taking down the RSS, install CAA, extend the FSS, add hammerhead crane). I don't remember reading anywhere if the extension of the FSS and hammerhead crane is still in the works or where in the priority list it is for SpaceX. I imagine the priority for SpaceX with 39A is finish taking down the RSS and then getting it ready Dragon v2/crew demo mission. The extension of the FSS and the crane depends on if SpaceX still sees money to be made for Air Force missions that require vertical integration. I just don't know if SpaceX would want to do that post-CAA installation. But it does look like the CAA will be installed on the RSS's hinge point according to the renders. So it would be out of the way for those modifications.

39A's utilization will now drastically decrease with 40 back up. So unless needed to help with the manifest, 39A will only be used for FH, crew missions, and missions that require vertical integration if that is still in the plans.

I haven't seen anything new about extending the FSS or adding a crane in a while, maybe they decided not to, or just use a heavy-duty construction crane.
Proud creator of Ian's Paper Model Rocket Collection:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42383.0

Offline quagmire

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #683 on: 01/06/2018 03:37 PM »

Why wouldn't they?

I haven't seen anything new about extending the FSS or adding a crane in a while, maybe they decided not to, or just use a heavy-duty construction crane.

Me neither. But I think the hype/attention has been on FH and COTS that no one has bothered to ask about their original plans for the mods for 39A in relation to the extension and adding a hammerhead crane.

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 4382
  • Likes Given: 281
« Reply #684 on: 01/06/2018 03:54 PM »

Or, something like this.
 I know where they can find one.
« Last Edit: 01/06/2018 03:54 PM by Nomadd »

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #685 on: 01/08/2018 04:06 AM »
What is the status or modifications of LC-39A looking right Now any pics. Available too show. Same ohh same ohh. 

Offline BadgerLegs

• North Carolina Sandhills
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #686 on: 01/09/2018 12:45 AM »
Grazing the #FalconHeavy hashtag on Twitter.

First picture credit: Elliott Skeer‏ @SkeerRacing - 8 Jan 2018

2nd picture credit: Dave Borinski - 28 Dec 2017
« Last Edit: 01/09/2018 08:30 PM by BadgerLegs »

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #687 on: 01/09/2018 01:00 AM »

Itís getting ready for a static fire

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 313
  • Likes Given: 364
« Reply #688 on: 01/09/2018 03:30 AM »

What was the date on those tweets?  I think those photos must be from days ago, certainly the vertical one, because over in the main FH Demo updates thread, it was shown being lifted up to vertical (halfway there) tonight under darkness.

Also, see my signature below on how to properly post photos from Twitter here :)
« Last Edit: 01/09/2018 03:33 AM by ChrisC »
How to embed photos from outside sources (e.g. Twitter)
NASA TV in HD:  history and FAQ (from 2007-2010 startup period)

Offline Inoeth

CRS-14 launching from SLC-40.  Will be interesting to see if any F9 launch from 39A in the first half of 2018.

I guess it'll depend on how long it takes to install the Crew Access Arm for the Dragon 2 demo missions?  still, I can't see it taking that many months if they've shut the pad down after FH for a while....  If FH launches right at the end of January/beginning of February, that still leaves the rest of Feb, March, April- should be plenty of time to do any modification, and Demo 1 is in what, July now? So I'd think that they'd do some launches in the remaining months between FH, Crew Arm instillation and DM 1...? Especially if they actually want to reach the goal of 30 launches or so for the year...

Offline TheFallen

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 147
« Reply #690 on: 01/09/2018 04:12 AM »

The top image is from January 8, the bottom image is from December 28 (though the Falcon Heavy is once again vertical at 39A as we speak)

Offline BadgerLegs

• North Carolina Sandhills
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #691 on: 01/09/2018 08:20 PM »
What was the date on those tweets? ... Also, see my signature below on how to properly post photos from Twitter here :)
I put attribution and dates in there. Didn't realize the need for attribution.

Online stcks

• Liked: 203
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #692 on: 02/13/2018 02:12 AM »
Interesting, SpaceX brought out their medium-sized 39A crane on Feb 10 or 11. Was gone today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfEINHihSnM/?taken-at=218732609

Huh? those are clearly taken a few months ago.. The RSS still has its legs in those pictures.

Online vaporcobra

• Tacoma, WA
  • Liked: 1459
  • Likes Given: 1870
« Reply #693 on: 02/13/2018 03:05 AM »
derp... Been a long week/Monday

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 660
  • Likes Given: 1064
« Reply #694 on: 03/08/2018 12:54 AM »
Any recent photos of work at 39A?

Iím curious about the status of any remaining parts of the RSS.
SpaceX, just a few things planned for 2018: FH, Starlink Prototypes, Block 5, Dragon 2, Increased launch rate.

Online vaporcobra

• Tacoma, WA
« Reply #695 on: 03/08/2018 01:44 AM »
Been a whole lot of crane activity around the RSS and TEL base lately. Photos are chronological and dates posted are in the filenames.

Last two are bonus pics of the two different booster transport methods side by side :D
« Last Edit: 03/08/2018 01:46 AM by vaporcobra »

Offline DecoLV

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #696 on: 03/08/2018 06:48 PM »
Grass! That's new. I guess the grass is on the pad ramp is always greener on the other side of Falcon Heavy. ;D

Online vaporcobra

• Tacoma, WA
« Reply #697 on: 03/10/2018 02:51 AM »
Big chunk of the RSS came down sometime in the last 48ish hours. Not much of it left at this point :)
« Last Edit: 03/10/2018 02:55 AM by vaporcobra »

Offline shuttlefan

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #698 on: 03/20/2018 02:07 PM »
Big chunk of the RSS came down sometime in the last 48ish hours. Not much of it left at this point :)

That RSS must be totally gone by NOW. (?)

Offline Roy_H

• Liked: 246
  • Likes Given: 1404
« Reply #699 on: 03/21/2018 08:09 PM »

That RSS must be totally gone by NOW. (?)

I don't think it will ever be totally gone, just smaller with the crew access arm mounted on it.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk

Tags: