Author Topic: Blue Origin Manufacturing site in Florida  (Read 190510 times)

Offline oliversl

• Costa Rica
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 14
Re: Blue Origin Manufacturing site in Florida
« Reply #60 on: 02/22/2017 11:54 pm »
Photos from this Sunday Feb 22, 2017 after SpaceX CRS10 launch.

Google Maps link

imgur mirror: http://imgur.com/a/MMaNn
« Last Edit: 02/23/2017 12:03 am by oliversl »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81676
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #61 on: 02/25/2017 06:01 pm »

Offline kendalla59

• Portland, Oregon
  • Liked: 140
  • Likes Given: 179
« Reply #62 on: 03/07/2017 10:39 pm »
I had a chance to visit KSC last week, and the Blue Origin building was right there on the road to the visitor's center. That was a very cool, and unexpected, thing to see. The bus ride also took me past 39A and 39B. There is a lot of excitement on the space coast these days.

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 543
  • Likes Given: 604
« Reply #63 on: 03/07/2017 10:52 pm »
The takeaway from this is the development of commercial space means that the days of reliance on government space are ending - commercial space is more sustainable and less subject to the whims of politicians.

Finally the engineers (Bezos) and physicists (Musk) are in charge again. It only took what, 90 years (since Goddard), but now the engineers and physicists are a lot wealthier. Thank you, Internet!

Mike Griffin is an engineer too. Yet, *he* gave us Constellation/SLS. A large organization has its own survival logic, and logic overrides, it mysteriously trumps everything else, even sound engineering or financial considerations, even when many people inside it understand that it is wrong. Even if the leadership, by all indications, should be capable of understanding that it is wrong.
« Last Edit: 03/07/2017 10:52 pm by gospacex »

Offline meberbs

• Liked: 3379
  • Likes Given: 777
« Reply #64 on: 03/08/2017 05:25 am »
The spaceflight now article on Bezo's announcement includes an interesting tidbit I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere:

The New Glenn’s primary base will be at Cape Canaveral, where Blue Origin is constructing a cavernous rocket factory just outside the gates of NASA’s Kennedy Space Center. Blue Origin has started preliminary earthmoving work for a launch pad at Complex 36, a former Atlas rocket facility at nearby Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, and plans to install an engine test stand at neighboring Complex 11.
Emphasis mine.

This sounds like they have started some work on the pad site itself, since they are well past earth moving on the production facility. It would be interesting to see what exactly they are doing at the pad. Also, if they have started earth moving, it presumably means that they have also gotten some environmental construction permits, which might have interesting info in them if someone knows where the database is to look them up.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8802
  • Likes Given: 7821
« Reply #65 on: 03/19/2017 12:42 pm »
Blue Origin Factory | March 18 2017

Updated 3/21/1027: YouTube video has been removed by the user.
« Last Edit: 03/22/2017 01:38 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online Eer

• Liked: 468
  • Likes Given: 913
« Reply #66 on: 03/19/2017 01:06 pm »
Blue Origin Factory | March 18 2017
... removed link to youtube...

I'm trying to imagine the site facility management weekly status meeting after this was published this weekend.  So much for perimeter control.
« Last Edit: 03/19/2017 01:07 pm by Eer »
From "The Rhetoric of Interstellar Flight", by Paul Gilster, March 10, 2011: We’ll build a future in space one dogged step at a time, and when asked how long humanity will struggle before reaching the stars, we’ll respond, “As long as it takes.”

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 2506
  • Likes Given: 2211
« Reply #67 on: 03/19/2017 03:18 pm »
Wow. Hope nobody has to see a judge for trespassing. I watched this fairly carefully, figure I might as well before it gets taken down. I don't see an area big enough to assemble a New Glenn in there, or a bunch of them.

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #68 on: 03/19/2017 03:34 pm »
Yes there do appear to be quite a lot of internal supports and small spans. However, when the video goes around the back I think the rear portion of the building may be more open. Clearly they will have room for NG somewhere! Time will tell where that is.

Offline meberbs

• Liked: 3379
  • Likes Given: 777
« Reply #69 on: 03/19/2017 04:00 pm »
Yes there do appear to be quite a lot of internal supports and small spans. However, when the video goes around the back I think the rear portion of the building may be more open. Clearly they will have room for NG somewhere! Time will tell where that is.
There is plenty of room for New Glenn if you compare the current video to the original renderings. I attached a screenshot from the video where they drove around back. You can see buildings on the left and right with a big empty space in between.

The original renderings show the large hanger as sandwiched between the 2 buildings. If you click to enlarge the first picture in this post, you can see the taller supports on the one side of the building that will be for the central hangar. (This view is from the exact opposite side as the screenshot I attached.)

Offline Navier–Stokes

• Liked: 720
  • Likes Given: 6766
« Reply #70 on: 03/19/2017 04:05 pm »
There is plenty of room for New Glenn if you compare the current video to the original renderings. I attached a screenshot from the video where they drove around back. You can see buildings on the left and right with a big empty space in between.

The original renderings show the large hanger as sandwiched between the 2 buildings. If you click to enlarge the first picture in this post, you can see the taller supports on the one side of the building that will be for the central hangar. (This view is from the exact opposite side as the screenshot I attached.)

For reference, here is the facility as rendered in the New Glenn video (screencap courtesy of Ars Technica).

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 2506
  • Likes Given: 2211
« Reply #71 on: 03/19/2017 04:11 pm »
Got it. Also wondered why there was crane track only on one side. Thought I was looking at two buildings,  not one very large one. Nice.

Matthew.

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #72 on: 03/19/2017 04:39 pm »

I saw this construction site on the same weekend (albeit from the road during daytime) and the parts already up are NOT going to be the biggest or tallest parts, according to architectural sketches we have seen.  Those will be in the middle, to the right of what is standing, as seen from the road. 

edit:  That screen capture looks to be rotated about ninety degrees counterclockwise from the sketches.
« Last Edit: 03/19/2017 04:40 pm by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #73 on: 04/05/2017 05:44 pm »
.@NASAKennedy's Bob Cabana shows @blueorigin rocket factory taking shape during #33SS panel. #SpaceSymposium

https://twitter.com/b0yle/status/849668537320968192

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #74 on: 04/06/2017 08:43 am »
Construction is progressing on Blue Origin's 750,000-square-foot facility being built at Exploration Park on NASA Kennedy Space Center property in Florida. Blue Origin will use the factory to manufacture its two-stage super-heavy-lift New Glenn launch vehicle and launch the vehicles from Space Launch Complex 46 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

Photo credit: Blue Origin
Jacques :-)

Offline Navier–Stokes

« Reply #75 on: 04/11/2017 12:55 am »
Imgur album with some good pictures from today, courtesy of aftersteveo on r/BlueOrigin.
« Last Edit: 04/11/2017 12:58 am by Navier–Stokes »

Offline Beittil

« Reply #76 on: 05/29/2017 09:49 pm »
A very good friend of mine is on vacation with his wife in Florida this week and I gave the poor fellah some homework on his KSC day ;)

Thought you guys might enjoy my assignment to him :) Picture's are from today, no more then 2 hours before time of post.
« Last Edit: 05/29/2017 10:21 pm by Beittil »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #77 on: 06/06/2017 06:49 am »
Worker recovering from fall at Blue Origin rocket factory

James Dean | FLORIDA TODAY
Updated 11 hours ago
An electrician is recovering from a more than 20-foot fall that forced a pause in construction late last month of Blue Origin’s rocket factory at Kennedy Space Center’s Exploration Park on Merritt Island.

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/2017/06/04/worker-recovering-fall-blue-origin-rocket-factory/368918001/

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #78 on: 07/03/2017 03:51 pm »
At Cape Canaveral, @JeffBezos' @blueorigin has made incredible progress on their orbital rocket factory. Shot with my wheel man @JRouRouRou

https://twitter.com/nova_road/status/881901592374587394

Offline Navier–Stokes

« Reply #79 on: 07/20/2017 05:43 pm »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWxp6MjgTrP/
jeffbezos Manufacturing facility for the heavy-lift New Glenn launch vehicle is coming along nicely. #BlueOrigin #ReusableRockets #LaunchLandRepeat #GradatimFerociter

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography