Author Topic: LEGO Saturn V set  (Read 88791 times)

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
Re: LEGO Saturn V set
« Reply #60 on: 06/01/2017 02:48 pm »
Hello everybody,
yep, with the Saturn 5 LEGO has obviously hit the bull's eye.
I have already ordered it yesterday, should come in the next days.

And this is Felix Stiessen, one of the two fan designers of the LEGO NASA Apollo Saturn V, at the signing event at the LEGO Store in Shopping City Süd located in Vienna, Austria.

Source: ideas.lego.com
Thanks and congratulation Felix!!!

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #61 on: 06/01/2017 07:13 pm »
Went to the Lego store after my first work shift, it was already sold out!
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #62 on: 06/01/2017 08:08 pm »
I'm very tempted to get one... and then a couple more, so I can build/mod all the proposed Saturn V derivatives next to each other in a glorious display.  ;D

Offline lele

• France
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #63 on: 06/01/2017 08:48 pm »
I ordered one on the Lego website, but it's already out of stock. I suppose I'll have to wait a few weeks.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #64 on: 06/01/2017 08:53 pm »
Officially this kit isn't out until Thursday, but I heard on Friday that John Lewis (UK department store chain) had it available for online order, with collection in local store branches. Sure enough it showed up as available for £109.99 (the UK RRP) with next-day collection from the JL in town. Ordered it, picked it up Saturday afternoon, and spent about 6 hours that evening and yesterday building it.

I've chronicled my build here, with photos:

http://major-clanger.dreamwidth.org/693539.html

It's an amazing kit. Within the limits of what you can achieve with Lego, it's remarkably accurate. It's also very impressive - not only is it huge (about 1:110 scale) but it's very solid. I like the option of displaying it horizontally, either in one piece or split into stages.

It looks like John Lewis sold out of them in the UK in about two days. The online Lego store should have it later this week, but I'd move quickly if you want one - this is clearly a very popular kit!

Great photos!  And FYI, your Airfix model is painted like the movie Apollo 13's Saturn V was!  Screen accurate!

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #65 on: 06/01/2017 08:54 pm »
I'm very tempted to get one... and then a couple more, so I can build/mod all the proposed Saturn V derivatives next to each other in a glorious display.  ;D

At least a Skylab!

Offline Darren_Hensley

• System Software Engineer, MCTP, NGC, Ft Leavenworth Ks
  • Captian(ret) USS Pabilli, Timefleet, UFP-TIC
  • Alamogordo NM
    • H-10-K Enterprises
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #66 on: 06/02/2017 12:24 am »
Mine is on back-order, should be here on the 16th Jun. I'm just fine with that.
BSNCM Devry, MAITM Webster, MSSS & MSAP SFA
H-10-K Enterprises Gateway Station

Offline eweilow

« Reply #67 on: 06/02/2017 07:46 am »
Got mine yesterday by walking into the local LEGO store and buying one... It is tempting to build it now, but I have to wait until after my last exam for the year on Monday :D

They had one built in the store and it was so smooth. Very neat.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81617
  • Likes Given: 36928
« Reply #68 on: 06/02/2017 08:57 am »
The fantastic (and large, 33MB) instruction manual is now on-line:

https://lc-www-live-s.legocdn.com/bigdownloads/buildinginstructions/6207578.pdf

A nice bit of Apollo and Saturn V info included too.

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #69 on: 06/02/2017 11:12 am »
Ordered mine today morning and it said it will deliver July 5th. But I get it as a present for my self anyway a bit later, so not a big deal. I would have to watch the unopened box the entire time otherwise.

The building instruction manual looks fantastic! I hope some internet community comes up with a launch mount and tower set. I doubt LEGO will sell it, but I want to showcase it vertically on the desk in my office.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #70 on: 06/02/2017 11:33 am »
Nice to get confirmation from the instructions that the lunar lander fits inside the fairing.

Offline Semmel

• Germany
« Reply #71 on: 06/02/2017 05:20 pm »
Lar, I have a question for you (or anybody who knows). Suppose I want to build the service tower for the Saturn V. How would I do that? If someone came up with a design[1], is there a way to buy the required LEGO pieces? I have not seen such a service on the LEGO home page.

[1]: I understand the developers of the Saturn V have already done that. But LEGO doesnt sell the sets..

Offline Navier–Stokes

• Liked: 720
  • Likes Given: 6766
« Reply #72 on: 06/02/2017 05:34 pm »
My set was on backorder but just shipped today :).

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #73 on: 06/02/2017 07:53 pm »
Lar, I have a question for you (or anybody who knows). Suppose I want to build the service tower for the Saturn V. How would I do that? If someone came up with a design[1], is there a way to buy the required LEGO pieces? I have not seen such a service on the LEGO home page.

[1]: I understand the developers of the Saturn V have already done that. But LEGO doesnt sell the sets..

Actually there is on the LEGO home page! Replacement parts under the Customer Services heading at the bottom of the page. At least it's on the UK LEGO website and once on the 'buy parts' page Germany is one of the countries listed where the service is provided.

One issue though is that you need the part design numbers. For sold sets they're listed in the instructions.

Offline Semmel

• Germany
« Reply #74 on: 06/03/2017 08:29 am »

Actually there is on the LEGO home page! Replacement parts under the Customer Services heading at the bottom of the page. At least it's on the UK LEGO website and once on the 'buy parts' page Germany is one of the countries listed where the service is provided.

One issue though is that you need the part design numbers. For sold sets they're listed in the instructions.

Thank you, I didnt look into the customer service section. But once I started browsing around.. its.. fantastically expensive! Woooow! A simple 2x12 beam .. 0.5 Euros! I didnt found any of the holed latice bricks, but I cant imagine that they are much cheaper. That would put the service tower and launch mount in the order of 1000 Euros. Thats completely out of the question. I guess this shop makes sense for replacing individual bricks that got lost, as it is probably intended. Not to buy bricks by the kilos for some demanding build like the service tower.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #75 on: 06/03/2017 11:20 am »

Thank you, I didnt look into the customer service section. But once I started browsing around.. its.. fantastically expensive! Woooow! A simple 2x12 beam .. 0.5 Euros! I didnt found any of the holed latice bricks, but I cant imagine that they are much cheaper. That would put the service tower and launch mount in the order of 1000 Euros. Thats completely out of the question. I guess this shop makes sense for replacing individual bricks that got lost, as it is probably intended. Not to buy bricks by the kilos for some demanding build like the service tower.

Another alternative is the aftermarket. Assuming you know what parts you need, (the set designers have done a tower and a crawler) you can go to bricklink.com ... there are 3000+ sellers there. Bricklink will let you upload a wantlist and help you determine which seller(s) are best suited to fill your needs. But you have to have an idea of the parts wanted.

I don't know that the set designers have released their design in the form of LDD or LDraw files... I haven't been following that closely. Hope that helps.

I have two on backorder (so far).
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Semmel

• Germany
« Reply #76 on: 06/03/2017 01:01 pm »
Assuming the designers release their design, then it will probably very hard to get the required elements from the market, many people will want to have it. Well, let's see :)

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #77 on: 06/05/2017 06:10 pm »
I couldn't resist, and bought the set. First Lego purchase for myself. Last build for me was the Super Car ( http://www.technicopedia.com/8880.html ) in 1996...

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
« Reply #78 on: 06/05/2017 09:32 pm »
Some celebs have uploaded build videos..

Scott Manley:

One ½ of Mythbusters:

With my 5-y.o. kid we are progressing very well. I hand over the pieces and she looks through the manual and puts them together. She loves it!

First stage internals we finished the day we got the set, which is full of really ingenious solutions. It is a SNOT build ("studs not on top"), and when you go through it you just keep marvelling at the way it is designed...

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #79 on: 06/06/2017 03:49 am »
In LEGO land,  the coolest kids build with SNOT.  (I remember when that term was invented)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography