Author Topic: LIVE: Chinese CE-5-T1 (Chang'e 5 precursor) - CZ-3C/G2, Xichang - Oct. 23, 2014  (Read 176441 times)

Offline plutogno

• Toulouse, France and Milan, Italy
  • Liked: 119
  • Likes Given: 7
recent report that the CE-5-T1 orbiter has completed 4100 orbits of the Moon.
http://www.chinaspaceflight.com/satellite/Deepspace/CE5T1/CE5-T1.html
and a couple of pics from the wide angle and narrow angle camera

Offline Phil Stooke

• Canada
  • Liked: 248
  • Likes Given: 0
It's good to see that this mission is still active and collecting data.  It appears that several sites have been imaged for use as the Chang'E 5 landing site, apparently all in northern parts of Oceanus Procellarum.  I should point out that these two images are the same ones released last fall, not new releases.

This LPSC abstract:

http://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2016/pdf/1758.pdf

identifies two possible sites at Mons Rumker, a volcanic plateau.  However, these are probably extra sites, not official candidates.  Similar extra sites in Sinus Iridum were described but not used for Chang'E 3.  I personally consider the most likely sites to be in areas of the youngest basalts, such as south of Aristarchus, widely considered to be very high priorities for sampling and a huge scientific coup for China.  However, I have been known to be wrong before.
« Last Edit: 02/10/2016 04:21 AM by Phil Stooke »

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 343
Manfred Memorial Moon Mission (4M): development, operations and results of a privately funded low cost lunar flyby

FUTURE PLANS
Building on the success of 4M and the Chinese Lunar Exploration Program, the next step has to be planned.
Another mission to the moon is planned for 2018 and we already booked a place on it.
The planned trajectory is  similar  to that of Chang’e 5T1, albeit much better controlled.
The current plan is a scientific mission with the  objective to study the far magnetosphere and magnetopause, and, possibly, the detection of near-Earth objects.
Our plan right now is to use our rugged and successful extended Triton-1  platform, which
presently is in commercial service on other missions.
An option with electrical propulsion is depicted in Figure 8. To realize this we are welcoming partners and
investors to join our endeavor
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 301
  • Likes Given: 368
Manfred Memorial Moon Mission (4M): development, operations and results of a privately funded low cost lunar flyby

FUTURE PLANS
Building on the success of 4M and the Chinese Lunar Exploration Program, the next step has to be planned.
Another mission to the moon is planned for 2018 and we already booked a place on it.
The planned trajectory is  similar  to that of Chang’e 5T1, albeit much better controlled.
The current plan is a scientific mission with the  objective to study the far magnetosphere and magnetopause, and, possibly, the detection of near-Earth objects.
Our plan right now is to use our rugged and successful extended Triton-1  platform, which
presently is in commercial service on other missions.
An option with electrical propulsion is depicted in Figure 8. To realize this we are welcoming partners and
investors to join our endeavor

What's this "Much better controlled" bit? Chang'e 5T went off as planned and everything ended up where it was supposed to.  Nothing wrong with the control.
"There is nobody who is a bigger fan of sending robots to Mars than me... But I believe firmly that the best, the most comprehensive, the most successful exploration will be done by humans" Steve Squyres

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 343
What's this "Much better controlled" bit? Chang'e 5T went off as planned and everything ended up where it was supposed to.  Nothing wrong with the control.
They talk about that in the doc. 4M was attached to LV upper stage, not to service module or the return capsule.

The launcher's trajectory was very accurate. However, since 4M was located on the last stage, its trajectory had some uncertainties. The main reason was that it is common practice for all launchers to vent their tanks after they are depleted.

Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 301
  • Likes Given: 368
They talk about that in the doc. 4M was attached to LV upper stage, not to service module or the return capsule.

The launcher's trajectory was very accurate. However, since 4M was located on the last stage, its trajectory had some uncertainties. The main reason was that it is common practice for all launchers to vent their tanks after they are depleted.

That's explains it better, thanks
"There is nobody who is a bigger fan of sending robots to Mars than me... But I believe firmly that the best, the most comprehensive, the most successful exploration will be done by humans" Steve Squyres

Offline elakdawalla

• Liked: 4
recent report that the CE-5-T1 orbiter has completed 4100 orbits of the Moon.
http://www.chinaspaceflight.com/satellite/Deepspace/CE5T1/CE5-T1.html
I'm late to this news. The article linked here also seems to mention Chang'e 2 in a polar orbit, and that Chang'e 5 will be switching from an orbit of 43 degrees inclination to a 90 degree inclination orbit -- am I reading it correctly? Does the mention of Chang'e 5's future orbit refer to Chang'e 5 T1 or to the future Chang'e 5 relay satellite?

Offline Moon Rabbit

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 34
sorry for bumping up this old thread but thought it to be the most relevant place to ask...
Is the CE-5-T1 service module (aka orbiter) still active? Based on the last few post in the thread, it was still orbiting round the Moon back in February 2016. Has it crash into the Moon?
« Last Edit: 10/17/2017 04:56 PM by Moon Rabbit »
The Mercury Seven - Carpenter, Cooper, Glenn, Grissom, Schirra, Shepard, Slayton. “Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” - Carl Sagan

Offline Phil Stooke

• Canada
I have not seen any news on the current status of CE-5-T1.  I think we would have been told if it had impacted, so I assume it is still in orbit.  Any news would be very welcome. 

Offline SmallKing

• Zhejiang, China, the Earth
  • Liked: 180
  • Likes Given: 212
sorry for bumping up this old thread but thought it to be the most relevant place to ask...
Is the CE-5-T1 service module (aka orbiter) still active? Based on the last few post in the thread, it was still orbiting round the Moon back in February 2016. Has it crash into the Moon?
Yes, it is still alive
Scott Tilley‏ @coastal8049  Oct 8
More
 China's Chang'e 5 T1 is still active. Rough obs/calc show orbital period about 132 minutes and 800Km altitude
@ChinaInSpace @Spaceflight101
https://twitter.com/coastal8049/status/916976512112324610
Some are bound for happiness, some are bound to glory, some are bound to live with less, who can tell your story?

Offline DF2MZ

• Liked: 12
Chang'e-5T1 is alive in lunar orbit and can easily be received on 2 s-band frequencies (sometimes one, sometimes both) as soon as the moon is visible and the orbiter is not behind the moon. At least one of the beacons is always on. Of course nobody knows if the thing is doing anything except beaconing. Here is a spectrogram from Dec. 1st, 2017 showing a full pass in front of the moon. The vertical lines are receiver artifacts.

Offline Phil Stooke

• Canada
Thanks for this - very useful. 

Tags: