Author Topic: "Fly me to the Moon", Sunday 9pm, Fox  (Read 12638 times)

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 966
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
Re: "Fly me to the Moon", Sunday 9pm, Fox
« Reply #1 on: 12/09/2012 03:27 am »
I'm glad that for the anniversary they aren't re-airing "Conspiracy Theory: Did We Land on the Moon?". This special looks like it might be good so I've set my DVR to record.
« Last Edit: 12/09/2012 04:14 am by manboy »
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1953
  • Likes Given: 1142
« Reply #2 on: 12/09/2012 04:23 am »
Why do they have to air this at the same time the Green Bay Packers are playing?  ;D >:( :( :o ??? ::) :-\ :'(

I guess one will have to be recorded for later viewing.

Offline SpaceWeaselUMICH

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: 12/09/2012 05:19 am »
Why do they have to air this at the same time the Green Bay Packers are playing?  ;D >:( :( :o ??? ::) :-\ :'(

Good thing my Lions aren't worthy of primetime; or indeed, my viewership.   ::)

Looks pretty good. I will definitely be watching. Missed it by 20 years and it still makes me feel nostalgic.

Seems like a good break from exam studying.
« Last Edit: 12/09/2012 05:22 am by SpaceWeaselUMICH »

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #4 on: 12/09/2012 05:49 am »
I'm glad that for the anniversary they aren't re-airing "Conspiracy Theory: Did We Land on the Moon?". This special looks like it might be good so I've set my DVR to record.

Did Fox actually air that?

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
« Reply #5 on: 12/09/2012 06:14 am »

Yep.

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/foxapollo.html

EDIT: After some research I found it wasn't aired on "Fox News" but on "Fox" (the channel that shows The Simpsons, American Dad, football...).
« Last Edit: 12/09/2012 06:20 am by manboy »
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline wkann

« Reply #6 on: 12/09/2012 06:17 am »

Almost forgot about the Sunday Night game. It's a tough decision, Packers or Space?  ???
"It's our destiny to explore. It's our destiny to be a space-faring nation."- Eugene Cernan

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #7 on: 12/09/2012 07:11 pm »

Yep.

EDIT: After some research I found it wasn't aired on "Fox News" but on "Fox" (the channel that shows The Simpsons, American Dad, football...).

they put it up on utube or anything?

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
« Reply #8 on: 12/09/2012 10:42 pm »

Yep.

We've gone off topic but here it is.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
« Reply #9 on: 12/10/2012 12:19 am »
Just a heads up, the special airs in forty minutes.

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1953
  • Likes Given: 1142
« Reply #10 on: 12/10/2012 12:31 am »

Almost forgot about the Sunday Night game. It's a tough decision, Packers or Space?  ???
Now that the game is about to start, it's the Packers.

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #11 on: 12/10/2012 12:31 am »

Funny... that is exactly the attitude that the public at large had during the Apollo 17 mission.

Offline SpaceWeaselUMICH

« Reply #12 on: 12/10/2012 01:58 am »
Good show.

The best part was hearing the astronauts talk about it. :D

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #13 on: 12/10/2012 01:59 am »
I have to say- that special was pretty darned good. VERY few errors, lots of astros. Well produced.

Offline wkann

« Reply #14 on: 12/10/2012 02:10 am »
Fox did a great job with this special, they didnt really discuss the issues that our space program has today. They focused on Apollo, and its legacy.
(Also, Go Pack Go!!!!!!) :)
"It's our destiny to explore. It's our destiny to be a space-faring nation."- Eugene Cernan

Offline Proponent

« Reply #15 on: 12/10/2012 02:20 am »

Yep.

Wow.  I just scanned that video, and it is offensive rubbish.  It begins with a disclaimer suggesting that viewers make their own decisions as to whether the Moon landings were faked but then fails to present essentially any of the reams of evidence rebutting the conspiracy theorists.  It even drags in the Apollo 1 astronauts with footage from the last minutes of their lives, absurdly implying without any evidence whatsoever that they were murdered to prevent them from revealing that Apollo was a hoax.

Fox regularly drapes itself in the American flag, yet here it chooses to defecate on that flag.  It is utterly disgusting and destructive.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
« Reply #16 on: 12/10/2012 02:59 am »

Yep.

Wow.  I just scanned that video, and it is offensive rubbish.  It begins with a disclaimer suggesting that viewers make their own decisions as to whether the Moon landings were faked but then fails to present essentially any of the reams of evidence rebutting the conspiracy theorists.  It even drags in the Apollo 1 astronauts with footage from the last minutes of their lives, absurdly implying without any evidence whatsoever that they were murdered to prevent them from revealing that Apollo was a hoax.

Fox regularly drapes itself in the American flag, yet here it chooses to defecate on that flag.  It is utterly disgusting and destructive.
You're mixing up Fox and Fox News. I believe Fox is pretty apolitical.

Offline Proponent

« Reply #17 on: 12/10/2012 03:15 am »
Same ownership.  Though regarding Fox News, I wouldn't say I'm exactly reassured by the fact that it carried Glenn Beck.
« Last Edit: 12/10/2012 03:17 am by Proponent »

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #18 on: 12/10/2012 04:55 am »
Glenn Beck's been gone for quite awhile now.

And I also have to give kudos to Fox News over its space coverage the last couple of years: while CNN, BBC and Sky News scarcely bothered to cover them, Fox News reliably had Shuttle launches and landings and some good commentary on the missions in between.
« Last Edit: 12/10/2012 04:58 am by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Proponent

« Reply #19 on: 12/10/2012 04:59 am »
Yeah, but by what standard did Fox News ever justify carrying his show?

Offline wkann

« Reply #20 on: 12/10/2012 05:39 am »
It's worth noting that Fox News Channel is one of the few (if not only) news channel that shows almost every rocket launch LIVE (if there broadcasting a live news show.) Most other new channels won't give any Air Force/ DOD Atlas V or Delta IV launch any air time.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7823
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #21 on: 12/10/2012 10:16 am »
Glenn Beck's been gone for quite awhile now.

And I also have to give kudos to Fox News over its space coverage the last couple of years: while CNN, BBC and Sky News scarcely bothered to cover them, Fox News reliably had Shuttle launches and landings and some good commentary on the missions in between.

I am no fan of Fox either, because they blatantly politicize almost everything. (And in the interest of fairness, yes, MSNBC does the same thing in the other direction, and CNN is just, well, lame.*)

But Fox does seem to be pretty decent when it comes to covering spaceflight. They're just about the only cable news network that does cover it. And there is indeed a major difference between the news network and the entertainment network in terms of political slant.

As for that Moon hoax conspiracy show, I think that it's not worth shedding too many electrons over. Whenever somebody does a public opinion poll on the subject, there is always at least 5% of the population that believes the Moon landings were faked. But there is at least 5% of the population that believes any nutty thing you ask them, and probably more. And why should we be more upset about people believing this particular nutty idea than any of the many nutty ideas that people believe? There's a small percentage that believes Obama was born in Kenya, that the 9/11 attacks were conducted by the CIA, that angels are real, or that they have a decent chance to win the PowerBall lottery.

*(Yeah! A footnote!) In 2011 I got up and turned on CNN and my computer. On the Washington Post website there was a report that North Korea had attacked a South Korean island. I was shocked. This could mean war! But CNN wasn't discussing that. They were discussing something related to Michael Jackson. I turned to Fox News and they were discussing the attack. I thought that was rather telling.

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
    • Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #22 on: 12/10/2012 01:37 pm »
I watched it last night. For the Apollo history buff, there was nothing new. Most of the archival footage has been seen elsewhere. However, it was good to see some of the old guys, and I do mean old guys! Frank Borman is looking older than his years honestly. Maybe it was the lighting on his face. With Neil's passing this summer, I think many of us are wondering how much longer will the world have these treasures who walk among us.

Offline MrTim

• Liked: 21
« Reply #23 on: 01/10/2013 07:29 am »
Give it a break.

Fox News Channel (FNC) != Fox Entertainment  ::)

They have a common corporate parent (sort of like GE and NBC and MSNBC) but are very different corporate entities. Fox Entertainment airs the Simpsons (which have often mocked FNC) and Glee and aired/cancelled Firefly. FNC, on the other hand, does a good but imperfect (still better than most other channels) job of space reporting. They like to cut-into their programs to show even unmanned launches; they seem eager to air any good spaceflight video that they can get. It'd be nice if Musk, Boeing, Blue Origin and SNC would invite them in and give them tours; they'd get great publicity and Fox News would actually air it (might even make specials). Unfortunately, there has been such a concerted effort by the Obama administration and their allies to insist that people should not watch FNC that the commercial spaceflight guys are probably all afraid to get too friendly with FNC. Personally, I am attracted to any news outlets that the politicians are desperate to have me not watch.....  ;)

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7823
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #24 on: 01/10/2013 01:24 pm »
Er, you're replying to a post made a month ago and that has since been responded to over a dozen times. You should read the rest of the thread.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography