Author Topic: NASA Langley confirms they are working to confirm the Widom/Larsen LENR theory  (Read 81456 times)

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline bad_astra

• Liked: 316
  • Likes Given: 553
The google DOC is from the MFMP experimenters. That's the raw data. Go with that.
"Contact Light" -Buzz Aldrin

Offline bad_astra

This test is not independent and use strange testing methods.
More here http://news.newenergytimes.net/2013/05/21/rossi-manipulates-academics-to-create-illusion-of-independent-test/

One wonders though why Rossi is not taking a patent. Obviously he does not want to reveal what exactly he is doing. Does he believe, nobody can duplicate his success?

Patent Granted:
https://animpossibleinvention.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/us9115913b1.pdf

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1062
This test is not independent and use strange testing methods.
More here http://news.newenergytimes.net/2013/05/21/rossi-manipulates-academics-to-create-illusion-of-independent-test/

One wonders though why Rossi is not taking a patent. Obviously he does not want to reveal what exactly he is doing. Does he believe, nobody can duplicate his success?

Patent Granted:
https://animpossibleinvention.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/us9115913b1.pdf
Very broadly formulated patent, explicitly does not mention any non chemical reactions.

Offline bad_astra

If you google NSWCDD-PN-15-00408 you can find the NAVSEA presentation presented at an IEEE meeting by Dr. Louis DeChiaro.

The presentation seems fairly up to date. The images of some sort of LENR powered shuttle on slide 21 is new to me, though.

Offline tchernik

• Liked: 315
  • Likes Given: 641
If you google NSWCDD-PN-15-00408 you can find the NAVSEA presentation presented at an IEEE meeting by Dr. Louis DeChiaro.

The presentation seems fairly up to date. The images of some sort of LENR powered shuttle on slide 21 is new to me, though.

Very nice document.

It very much looks like this is for real.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115

Very nice document.

If it were for real, they'd have no problem producing electricity. Have a box that produces tens of kilowatts of electricity, hooked up to an electrical meter, and making money.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline birchoff

• United States
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 95

Very nice document.

If it were for real, they'd have no problem producing electricity. Have a box that produces tens of kilowatts of electricity, hooked up to an electrical meter, and making money.

guess I would love to understand your definition of "real". Because my definition of real doesnt mean it has to be immediately useful. By your definition nuclear fission shouldn't exist since there was a period of time that it wasnt doing anything useful, much less generating electricity.

LENR/Cold Fusion's problem has always been every academic investigator treating it like a gold mine. In a way it would have been better if it wasnt so easy to forsee a commercial use case for it. Because then it could actually get the proper research treatment, with methods publicly released and a focus more on sharing knowledge and less on making a quick buck.

Offline MP99

Very nice document.

They claim to have a customer using the heat in a commercial process.

Cheers, Martin

Offline bad_astra

Very nice document.

"They" have over fifty million dollars in combined funding from Woodford Equity and Cherokee Investment Funds after two years of dilligence. "They" are not really trying to impress Joe Schmoe

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136

Very nice document.

"They" have over fifty million dollars in combined funding from Woodford Equity and Cherokee Investment Funds after two years of dilligence. "They" are not really trying to impress Joe Schmoe

Referencing the investment of venture capitalists is the worst form of "appeal to authority", a logical fallacy.
By definition, venture capitalists try to find endeavors in fields outside of their expertise, which is monetary, in which to invest.  Even the best have poor batting averages, although there are many reasons for that more common than that the physics doesn't work.
« Last Edit: 10/06/2015 07:08 pm by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline bad_astra

Woodford Equity Income Fund is not venture capital. On the other hand, the US Navy is also testing (see the NAVSEA presentation). More information on that is apparently forthcoming, and will probably be more interesting than anything yet mentioned, including a way to replicate Pons and Fleischman.

I'm not interested in this thread getting into the whole debase on Andrea Rossi. There have been persons with agenda's who have tried in the past to derail conversations regarding LENR on here, and succeeded. Rossi is by far not the only person working on this, and his group is not even working on space related applications.

NASA is clearly continuing to work on this, as is NAVSEA, and  that is worth discussing.

My guess is the effect is from quantum tunneling in metal hydrides requiring a Ni, Pd, or Pt catalyst.
« Last Edit: 10/06/2015 07:50 pm by bad_astra »

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1062
I agree with Robotbeat and remain skeptical. Rossi and his invention have been around for a while. His stories often contradict each other over time. There is still no accepted theory to fully explain the function of the device.

Offline AdrianW

• Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 262
There is still no accepted theory to fully explain the function of the device.

Independent of everything else, this is by far the weakest of all arguments. You don't need a theory to observe or reproduce an effect. We could observe and reproduce electrical sparks before we could explain them; heck, we could observe and reproduce fire tens of thousands of years before we could explain it.

There are good reasons to be skeptical of Rossi, but this is not one of them.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
I agree with Robotbeat and remain skeptical. Rossi and his invention have been around for a while. His stories often contradict each other over time. There is still no accepted theory to fully explain the function of the device.

You're attempting to drag it back to one person when there are more involved in this than just him.
« Last Edit: 10/07/2015 08:22 pm by Star One »

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 2092
  • Likes Given: 3200
And to be clear.  Cherokee Investment owns the technology and the company Industrial Heat, and has so for a few years now.  Rossi was assigned the US patent and he is a technical advisor to Cherokee.  It's not Rossi who is claiming to have a working fusion reactor at a commercial customer's site, it's Cherokee.  Cherokee is a US company based in NC.  They are subject to U.S. fraud laws, and they are making some very specific performance claims at this time (such as the patent application data) that would destroy them if it were willingly fraudulent.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/techflash/2014/10/raleigh-investor-darden-still-bullish-on.html

They are still playing things close to the vest, as are all the other fusion players because the competitors and thieves are circling.  I imagine they are working on reliability, long term testing, and manufacturing so that when they do go "general availability" with a product they can consistently deliver it.

A 1mW/ $1 million fusion reactor sitting in a shipping container and generating heat for an industrial customer is a big f-ing deal, and the applications for space flight and the world in general can't be overstated.  It's because the possibilities are so huge that we're all getting worked up whenever that sometimes-crook, sometimes-inventor Rossi shows up in the news.
« Last Edit: 10/07/2015 02:13 pm by sghill »
Bring the thunder!

Offline bad_astra

Well, in this case I think the possibility that NRL has been replicating Fleishman and Pons repeatedly is a far bigger matter. There just isn't information yet, to do anything but speculate.

Offline WBY1984

• Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 140
Another thread discussing fringe topics with a whole load of fuzzy data? I lurk here mostly, but I hope topics like this isn't a sign of where this site is headed.

Offline flymetothemoon

• Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 214
Another thread discussing fringe topics with a whole load of fuzzy data? I lurk here mostly, but I hope topics like this isn't a sign of where this site is headed.

This is the advanced concepts forum.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography