Author Topic: What would be a good “dual” side mount shuttle derived architecture?  (Read 1582 times)

Offline infocat13

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0

It should make since in development costs, operational costs, capability , and industrial base.
Tall order there. you may make trades here.
My take on it is dual launch side mount
1 cargo
2 EDS
3 and crew on EELV
a three launch architecture.

Development costs? $ 6 billion as per  the June 17 presentation minus the crew on side mount. Add human rated EELV development costs and “tanker” capability for the EDS and EDS docking with the payload on orbit.  Are my assumptions right here?  Or Wrong?

Capability? The EDS on a second side mount  with LEOR with cargo restores original reference mission ( mass not volume) and maybe restores the LEO mission beyond the Moon. Is this a good assumption? Or not?

Operational costs might be higher then Direct. Two vehicles for payload  and EDS and Third EELV for crew launch costs. However at last we would see a drop in EELV costs that would benefit the planetary and earth observation community's and DOD.

Industrial base ? Good for EELV base good for SSME  and J2X follow on justifies  later in the decade the 5 segment SRB. All of these exist or are about to and represent sunk costs.many of these items can be used on Ares light/Ares IV/Direct/ follow on to the side mount beast ;D

One more assumption please!
Budget!

The DR ride scenario is in effect shuttle to 2014 ,ISS to 2020 but we have a budget somewhat higher then 2010. This is why we have gone with with the side mounted beast but we are unhappy with the commissions assumptions in the chart as to missions.

the rest here is rambling on my part.....................
Ask the NASA administrator to spend the development savings up in the latter part of the decade on a high launch tempo for this launch architecture. How to do this? 
Mass produce up front things needed for operational needs down the road. for example order 300 SSME's but get a good price build them in a two year contract. Store  them!
Identify other side mounted shuttle derived components that could be mass produced and stored as off the shelf?

Altair
I am a member of the side mount amazing people universe however I can get excited over the EELV exploration architecture amazing people universe.Anything else is budgetary hog wash
flexible path/HERRO

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography