Author Topic: World's Largest Model Rocket, 1/10 scale Saturn V, to Launch Apr. 25  (Read 49806 times)

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 102

For those in the Washington DC - GSFC - Wallops Island area:

The world's largest model rocket, a 1/10 scale Saturn V, will attempt to launch this Sat. April 25. Fascinating article, and it mentions the high-power engines needed to lift this 36 ft. tall behemoth.

http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/2829/30/

The event is open to the public at 10am, in Price, Maryland on the eastern shore - about a 1.5hr drive east from Washington, and 2 hrs  north of Wallops.

Interesting note: unlike the original, this Saturn V will have approx. 5:1 thrust-to-weight ratio, so it should head skyward in a 'rapid fashion' ! 
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
I've firmed up my plans, and will attend the launch of the 1/10th scale Saturn V tomorrow.  Whatever shaky video I bring back I'll post (once I figure out how to post it).

A bit surprising that there's no NASA support. They have supported model rocketry before (I attended the Robert Goddard 75th anniversary event at GFSC, which included model rocket launches).

Here's a link to a nice general news article & video (Baltimore CBS affiliate).
http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/2846/31/

Side note:  The builder and his Saturn V attended an event at the U.S. Space and Rocket center in Huntsville this past February.  The attending Apollo astronauts were very impressed with his rocket. They all autographed the command module's boost protective cover.  It's since been painted over with automotive clear coat to preserve the signatures.

David
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX
    • Challenger 498 NAR Section
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
While we're waiting for word on how the 1/10 scale Saturn - V launch
went, here's a couple of You Tube videos of other large scale modroc
launches you all might be interested in:

Giant Vostok

Giant N-1

Both launches are, of course, high power model rockets.  Didn't get to
see these personally, but on video, they look just as fantastic!
« Last Edit: 04/25/2009 06:04 pm by dwmzmm »
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Online jabe

• Regular
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 12
from jeff fousts twitter

Successful launch! Will upload some photos when I get home later. Plenty of people taking video, don't know where/when it'll appear.

so check his twitter and others I'm sure for updates
« Last Edit: 04/25/2009 06:45 pm by jabe »

Offline rocketguy101

• Strib's Rocket Page
  • Liked: 244
  • Likes Given: 888
Some shots Friday night on RP
http://www.rocketryplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=123536&postcount=24

and, as reported above a text book flight is reported there.
David

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5

Offline Fequalsma

• Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 1
Wow!  Very cool.  Took off like a scalded dog, she did!
F=ma

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
Someone should have filmed that with a high speed camera so at normal playback speed it would look like a real Saturn V, too!

Offline rocketguy101

• Strib's Rocket Page
« Last Edit: 04/25/2009 08:53 pm by rocketguy101 »
David

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
It landed standing up?  Isn't that like tossing a coin and having it land on its edge?

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX
It landed standing up?  Isn't that like tossing a coin and having it land on its edge?

According to the information from the launch site, they had very little
(or no) wind.  That, combined with the fact that the SIC/SII section must be pretty heavy, makes it possible for it to land upright.  I've seen
some HPR do that and even a few of my "small" model rockets have landed upright when the conditions are just right. 
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
Well it was an exciting and impressive launch. Particularly the sound, it was amazingly loud, and long (I'm used to the brief "pfffft!" sound of many a small Estes rocket from my teenage years).

I've got some nice post-launch photos to share. Most folks left the area after the three sections landed, but I headed towards the landing area to see if they'd let anyone up close - and they did.  All in all, it was well worth the trip!

David

This pic: yours truly + Saturn V. Launch is only minutes away. (and yes, I'm the only fool wearing a long sleeve shirt. Trying to avoid sunburn! :) )
« Last Edit: 04/25/2009 11:27 pm by Alpha Control »
Space launches attended:

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
The exhaust trail after launch:

« Last Edit: 04/25/2009 11:28 pm by Alpha Control »
Space launches attended:

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
The Saturn appeared to fall to a nearly horizontal position after motor burnout (causing those near me to exclaim "Uh-oh!", but then the separation pyros fired and the Saturn separated into three sections.

They were the Mainstage section (SIC/SII combined), the 2nd section (S-IVB), and the 3rd section (CSM+launch escape tower).  The 2nd section was supported by one chute, while the Mainstage appeared to have three chutes.  It looked to me that the 3rd section was somehow entangled in the Mainstage chute's lines, but I don't know if that's correct or if they were designed to stay connected.

(1st shot) Approaching the ground:

(2nd) Mainstage about to land:

(3rd) And a vertical touchdown!
« Last Edit: 04/25/2009 11:44 pm by Alpha Control »
Space launches attended:

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7826
I found this in You Tube, with close ups through entire flight to touchdown and replay in slow-motion.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
I found this in You Tube, with close ups through entire flight to touchdown and replay in slow-motion.

That's the best launch video yet, with excellent parachute coverage!
Space launches attended:

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
Up close: The "ground crew" performing post-landing servicing.

If you look closely near the top portion of the S-IC stage, right where the area of black paint begins, you can see a black "rocket cam" fairing.  I walked up to it and could clearly see a camera lens pointed in the nadir direction. Hopefully this video will be posted somewhere, as it should be quite interesting.

« Last Edit: 04/26/2009 01:45 am by Alpha Control »
Space launches attended:

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
The Mainstage standing upright, slightly covered by its parachutes.

Space launches attended:

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
Close-up of the S-IC stage base.  Some of the "F1" fairings were damaged by the impact with the ground. Overall, considering how intricate this 1/10 scale Saturn V is, the impact damage seemed minimal to me. I suspect that the final word in this department belongs to Steve Eves, though.
Space launches attended:

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
S-IVB Ground Ops.

Space launches attended:

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
The builder of the 1/10 scale Saturn V, Steve Eves, with the boost protective cover and Apollo astronaut autographs.  Had to take this last group of photos quickly, as all visitors were being removed from the landing area by the ground crew.

Space launches attended:

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
Ground convoy ops.  Necessary operations required to transfer the Mainstage from vertical to horizontal.

"Convoy commander, you are clear to approach the vehicle."
Space launches attended:

Offline hop

• Liked: 553
  • Likes Given: 891
What a perfect flight! Congratulations to Steve Eves and everyone involved.

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
Last group of photos. These are of the launchpad, including "pad rats" performing post-launch inspections, and yours truly, popping in for a final photo.  A most impressive day.
Space launches attended:

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7826
Close-up of the S-IC stage base.  Some of the "F1" fairings were damaged by the impact with the ground. Overall, considering how intricate this 1/10 scale Saturn V is, the impact damage seemed minimal to me. I suspect that the final word in this department belongs to Steve Eves, though.

Alpha,

Since you were on-site, what is the object afixed to the mainstage right next to the "A" of USA on the picture IMG_2840 above?  Another camera possibly.   I look at all the pictures, of this mainstage, on the article posted on rocketryplanet.com but did not see this item on any of them.
« Last Edit: 04/26/2009 04:34 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX

Alpha,

Since you were on-site, what is the object afixed to the mainstage right next to the "A" of USA on the picture IMG_2840 above?  Another camera possibly.   I look at all the pictures, of this mainstage, on the article posted on rocketryplanet.com but did not see this item on any of them.

That could be the "button" that fits in (or over) the rail to the launch tower, but I could be wrong.  Most all model rockets need either a launch
rod or rail for guidance during the first phase of launch until the model
reaches enough speed for the fins to sustain proper stability. 
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Offline Nascent Ascent

• Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 106
He should modify the final stage, lighten it up a bit and make it so that a person could go for a ride.

Offline iamlucky13

• Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 93
I've got some nice post-launch photos to share.

That wasn't you making all the rapid shutter noise in the first video, was it?

Neat project. Somebody obviously put a lot of work into it.

Offline RandyH

• Northern California, USA
  • Liked: 0
Wow, that was just great.  I was worried about all that work ending up in splinters.

« Last Edit: 04/26/2009 08:16 pm by RandyH »

Offline Tony T. Harris

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 2
Surprisingly stable ascent, congratulations to all involved.
Former Saturn V propulsion systems lead engineer.

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX

Alpha,

That could be the "button" that fits in (or over) the rail to the launch tower, but I could be wrong.  Most all model rockets need either a launch
rod or rail for guidance during the first phase of launch until the model
reaches enough speed for the fins to sustain proper stability. 

Ok, I need to take this one back; looked at some more detailed (upclose)
pics and can confirm that cover does house a videocam aimed downward.
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
Last group of photos. These are of the launchpad, including "pad rats" performing post-launch inspections, and yours truly, popping in for a final photo.  A most impressive day.

Great pics. Thanks for sharing! I can't get Youtube at home, and not allowed at work.

I miss my HPR days. Still have a few composite motors in the basement. One day I'll get to LDRS or IROC to view some real hardware.

Offline Chris Bergin

Never been one who's followed model rockets, but that was cool! Thanks for the videos and photos!
« Last Edit: 04/26/2009 05:53 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline PaulyFirmbiz

as a fellow space modeler and someone that lovvvves to see these things fly... i gotta say that was one of the sweetest model launches i have ever seen..  he could of got the decals a little btter but i guess since it flew it really dont matter...

props to the builder for a great launch and flight
« Last Edit: 04/26/2009 06:37 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX
Never been one who's followed model rockets, but that was cool! Thanks for the videos and photos!

Well, Chris, flying model rockets (especially scale) can be almost as close
to doing the "real" thing.  This is especially true if you're the model's builder.
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Offline rocketguy101

• Strib's Rocket Page

Well, Chris, flying model rockets (especially scale) can be almost as close
to doing the "real" thing.  This is especially true if you're the model's builder.
Amen, take a look at Steve's build pictures...there is some serious hardware there for a "model" rocket!

http://www.rocketsmagazine.com/saturn-v-project/Gallery/BuildStatus/
David

Offline Davinator

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 74
Still doesn't come close to the Top Gear Robin Reliant Space Shuttle launch. Not sure how that didn't qualify for a model rocket, as that was three times bigger than this.

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX
Still doesn't come close to the Top Gear Robin Reliant Space Shuttle launch. Not sure how that didn't qualify for a model rocket, as that was three times bigger than this.

Haven't heard nor seen of this, can you provide details?
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436

Haven't heard nor seen of this, can you provide details?

Offline Chris Bergin

You have to doubleclick that video as they've disabled embedding, but to give you an idea of size, that's a car as the orbiter.

Has to be more powerful and bigger than the Saturn V launch? Maybe it's not a "model" rocket launch?
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Captain Scarlet

• Veteran
  • Cambridgeshire, England
  • Liked: 4

Bigger, but the Americans call their NFL championship a "World" championship, even though it involves one country and no one outside of North America watches it, so figures that anything American is going to be automatically the World :D

(I love the US, don't get me wrong!)

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306

(I love the US, don't get me wrong!)

Good attempt at avoiding the gitmo reeducation camp, but they have your number ;)
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
Just wanted to put in a word of thanks to our military boys and girls for helping to maintain the peace.  You don't get to have this sort of fun under Taliban rule.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
Has to be more powerful and bigger than the Saturn V launch? Maybe it's not a "model" rocket launch?

It certainly wasn't a model landing.

Offline SpaceCat

• Florida

Since he worked on the real ones, I think a nod from Tony is one of the highest compliments to Steve & crew!

Interesting that when the 1/10 slo-mo is applied to the 1/10 scale, major portions of the flight do look like a real Saturn V!

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX

Since he worked on the real ones, I think a nod from Tony is one of the highest compliments to Steve & crew!

Interesting that when the 1/10 slo-mo is applied to the 1/10 scale, major portions of the flight do look like a real Saturn V!

Even sounds like one!
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Offline mlorrey

• International Spaceflight Museum
  • Grantham, NH
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 5
Needs to slap some bigger engines in that puppy. I wanna see it GO. Like when I was 13 I told my junior high school rocketry teacher, "If we don't get a complaint from the FAA, it didn't go high enough."
VP of International Spaceflight Museum - http://ismuseum.org
Founder, Lorrey Aerospace, B&T Holdings, ACE Exchange, and Hypersonic Systems. Currently I am a venture recruiter for Family Office Venture Capital.

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 19
I'm a member of MDRA (Maryland Deleware Rocketry Assn.) the group who provided for this launch. Here are some tid-bits. The place of the launch was the Higgs Farm in Price MD- that is where MDRA does their winter launches from Oct. to April and is also where al lot of "big" stuff gets fired. They get an FAA waiver up to 16,000 feet- which many of the big rockets actually need. The launch site is about 50 miles east of Washington DC... so no real problems with security are normally encountered. In fact at one launch last April we invited a whole team of BATF agents to obsurve- some came back with their kids the next day to shoot rockets with us or just watch. The most trouble that some of the rocketeers have is transporting their big rockets across the Bay Bridge- one look at a car with 4 or 5 big rockets strapped onto the cartop carrier seems to slow things down at the toll gates.

Anyhow- I could not make Steve's launch, but I donated some special Saturn V kits for the cause and bought a T-shirt. I'm really glad that it went well. MDRA is a super group of really cool, laid-back folks.

Special thanks to the Higgs family for use of the property... now it's on to the Central Sod Farm for the summer launch season and somewhat smaller rockets. Visit www.mdrocketry.org for MDRA news and see the gallery for cool videos and photos.

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX
I'm a member of MDRA (Maryland Deleware Rocketry Assn.) the group who provided for this launch. Here are some tid-bits. The place of the launch was the Higgs Farm in Price MD- that is where MDRA does their winter launches from Oct. to April and is also where al lot of "big" stuff gets fired. They get an FAA waiver up to 16,000 feet- which many of the big rockets actually need. The launch site is about 50 miles east of Washington DC... so no real problems with security are normally encountered. In fact at one launch last April we invited a whole team of BATF agents to obsurve- some came back with their kids the next day to shoot rockets with us or just watch. The most trouble that some of the rocketeers have is transporting their big rockets across the Bay Bridge- one look at a car with 4 or 5 big rockets strapped onto the cartop carrier seems to slow things down at the toll gates.

Anyhow- I could not make Steve's launch, but I donated some special Saturn V kits for the cause and bought a T-shirt. I'm really glad that it went well. MDRA is a super group of really cool, laid-back folks.

Special thanks to the Higgs family for use of the property... now it's on to the Central Sod Farm for the summer launch season and somewhat smaller rockets. Visit www.mdrocketry.org for MDRA news and see the gallery for cool videos and photos.

Dr. Zooch, that's a class act of your donating those Saturn - V kits.  I'm
going to have to get some of your kits (the Saturn I's, and Soyuz) to add
to my fleet; those are really super kits. 
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Offline brihath

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 28
This story was featured on Fox News this morning, and featured an interview with Steve.

Offline DirtyDeeds

• Wilmington, NC
Just wanted to put in a word of thanks to our military boys and girls for helping to maintain the peace.  You don't get to have this sort of fun under Taliban rule.

Oh, baloney! That's all they do is play with rockets!

If that was in poor taste I'm sorry. But yes, thank you military.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
So true, so true.  They do get to shoot a lot of rockets.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography