Author Topic: Official reactions to first Falcon 9 flight  (Read 43017 times)

Offline neilh

• Pasadena, CA
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 149
Official reactions to first Falcon 9 flight
« on: 06/04/2010 09:09 pm »
There's been some of this in the live launch thread, and so I thought it'd be worthwhile to create a dedicated thread for the political reaction  (Senators, Congressmen, Administrator Bolden, organizations, etc.) and various statements related to the inaugural launch of the Falcon 9. Please add new statements as they come in.

(comments pasted from live thread)

Wow, that didnt take long at all:

http://www.spacepolitics.com/2010/06/04/congressional-reaction-to-falcon-9-launch/

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX), ranking member of the Senate Commerce Committee, released a brief statement about the launch that might best be catagorized as “damned with faint praise”:

This first successful test flight of SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket is a belated sign that efforts to develop modest commercial space cargo capabilities are showing some promising signs. While this test flight was important, the program to demonstrate commercial cargo and crew transport capabilities, which I support, was intended to enhance not replace NASA’s own proven abilities to deliver critical cargo and humans to low Earth orbit. Make no mistake, even this modest success is more than a year behind schedule, and the project deadlines of other private space companies continue to slip as well. This test does not change the fact that commercial space programs are not ready to close the gap in human spaceflight if the space shuttle is retired this year with no proven replacement capability and the Constellation program is simultaneously cancelled as the President proposes.

Rep. Suzanne Kosmas (D-FL), whose district includes KSC, released this statement (not yet on her web site):

The successful test launch of SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket is a significant step in the development of the commercial space industry. There is no doubt that commercial spaceflight will play an important role in the future of our efforts in space, and I believe private companies can bring new job opportunities for the Space Coast’s highly-skilled workforce. But we must both support the emerging commercial space industry and ensure a robust, NASA-led human spaceflight program in order to maintain our international leadership in space and keep our economy strong. I will continue fighting at every opportunity to minimize the human spaceflight gap, protect jobs, and ensure a bright future for the Space Coast.

Im sure they both had two versions prepared. I would love to see the other versions.

June 4, 2010

Bob Jacobs
Headquarters, Washington     
202-358-1979
[email protected]   

RELEASE: 10-132

NASA ADMINISTRATOR'S STATEMENT ON FIRST FALCON 9 LAUNCH

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The following is a statement by NASA
Administrator Charles Bolden regarding Friday's launch of Space
Exploration Technologies' Falcon 9 rocket.

"Congratulations to Space X on today's launch of its Falcon 9 launch
vehicle. Space X's accomplishment is an important milestone in the
commercial transportation effort and puts the company a step closer
to providing cargo services to the International Space Station.
"Preparations are proceeding for the first NASA-sponsored test launch
under the Commercial Orbital Transportation Services project
later this year. COTS is a vital development and demonstration
partnership to create a commercial space transportation system
capable of providing cargo to the station. "This launch of the Falcon
9 gives us even more confidence that a resupply vehicle will be
available after the space shuttle fleet is retired."

For more information about COTS, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/c3po/about/c3po.html   

« Last Edit: 06/04/2010 09:11 pm by neilh »
Someone is wrong on the Internet.
http://xkcd.com/386/

Offline neilh

• Pasadena, CA
Re: Official reactions to first Falcon 9 flight
« Reply #1 on: 06/04/2010 09:13 pm »
NSS, Planetary Society, CSF, and SFF:

http://www.nss.org/news/releases/pr20100604.html "NSS Congratulates SpaceX on a magnificent first launch of Falcon 9"

http://planetary.org/blog/article/00002526/ "Planetary Society Hails Falcon 9 Test as Great Achievement"

http://spacefrontier.org/2010/06/04/foundation-congratulates-spacex-on-falcon-9-launch/ "Foundation Congratulates SpaceX on Falcon 9 Launch"

http://www.commercialspaceflight.org/?p=1243 "Space Industry Leaders and Astronauts Congratulate SpaceX on Historic Flight of Falcon 9 Vehicle"

The CSF included statements from a number of individuals, including Rusty Schweickart:
Bretton Alexander, President of the Commercial Spaceflight Federation:
“Today is a historic day for SpaceX. The Falcon 9 rocket rising into the sky was carrying the hopes and dreams of the hundreds of engineers who worked on this new project. And I know that thousands of well-wishers across the country were cheering that rocket on. For a brand-new rocket to accomplish this much on its first mission is truly impressive, given the historical difficulties of first flights.”

Mark Sirangelo, Chairman of Sierra Nevada Corporation Space Systems and Chairman of the Commercial Spaceflight Federation:
“Congratulations to Elon Musk and everyone working at SpaceX. The broader commercial space community has received a fantastic piece of good news today.”

Russell “Rusty” Schweickart, former Apollo 9 astronaut:
“As a former Apollo astronaut, I think it’s safe to say that SpaceX and the other commercial developers embody the 21st century version of the Apollo frontier spirit. It’s enormously gratifying to see them succeed today.”

Frank DiBello, President and CEO of Space Florida:
“This is another giant leap forward on the path of commercial spaceflight. Florida’s aerospace workforce can take special pride that SpaceX’s launch happened right here at Cape Canaveral. This success means more jobs for Florida and Floridians, and this success also means a major new force in the evolution of a vibrant commercial space capability for the nation.”

Dr. Peter H. Diamandis, Chairman of the X PRIZE Foundation:
“In President Barack Obama’s new plan for NASA, a new player has taken center stage – American capitalism and entrepreneurship – and today’s SpaceX launch strengthens my hope that commercial space companies will at long last remove the cost barrier that slows our exploration of the solar system.”

Eric Anderson, Chairman and CEO of Space Adventures:
“It’s a tremendous accomplishment for SpaceX to succeed on the first try for Falcon 9. There’s a bright future ahead for the commercial spaceflight industry and today was a big day.”

Byron Lichtenberg, former Space Shuttle astronaut:
“I expect that there will be a lot more astronauts in the future because of today’s success. Lower cost launches means more flights, which means more astronauts. We’ve only had 500 astronauts in the history of the Space Age, but I hope to see thousands more in the decades to come.”

The Planetary Society, the world’s largest space advocacy organization by membership:
“With this success for the commercial spaceflight industry, the United States is better positioned to ramp up its ambitions for exploring the solar system. The proposal to refocus NASA’s human spaceflight program beyond low-Earth orbit now looks more achievable, as this flight demonstrated that commercial rockets may soon be ready to carry supplies and, we hope, astronauts to the International Space Station.”

Dr. Alan Stern, former NASA Associate Administrator for Science and now Associate Vice President at the Southwest Research Institute:
“Congratulations to SpaceX on this phenomenal achievement. Falcon 9 and other commercial rockets will allow America to more quickly supplant Russian rides to orbit for our astronauts, to encourage the development of space tourism and other businesses in low Earth orbit, and to more economically transport crew and cargo to orbit so that we can afford human exploration of new worlds within NASA’s budget.”
« Last Edit: 06/04/2010 09:20 pm by neilh »

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 1022
« Reply #2 on: 06/04/2010 09:38 pm »
Congratulations SpaceX!

On behalf of myself and all of us at Bigelow Aerospace we would like to congratulate our friends at SpaceX on the unprecedented success of the inaugural Falcon 9 launch. Achieving orbit on its first attempt is a testament to the robust capabilities of SpaceX’s Falcon 9 specifically and commercial crew transportation in general. We look forward to the continued development of the Falcon 9 launcher and Dragon capsule. – Robert T. Bigelow

http://www.bigelowaerospace.com/
Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

Offline neilh

• Pasadena, CA
« Reply #3 on: 06/04/2010 09:59 pm »
No official response from Sen. Bill Nelson yet, but during the teleconference Elon Musk mentioned that he got a call from Sen. Nelson saying he was very excited about the launch

Offline neilh

• Pasadena, CA
« Reply #4 on: 06/05/2010 12:04 am »
Politico article has quotes from Sen. Bill Nelson and Sen. Richard Shelby:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0610/38145.html
Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Fla.) said that the successful test suggests that the vehicle will be in "full operation delivering cargo to the International Space Station a year from now."

Republican Sen. Richard Shelby, whose state of Alabama is also a NASA stronghold, further decried the launch as a display merely replicating what “NASA accomplished in 1964.”

“Belated progress for one so-called commercial provider must not be confused with progress for our nation’s human space flight program,” Shelby said. “As a nation, we cannot place our future space flight on one fledgling company's definition of success.”

Offline nooneofconsequence

• no one is playing fair ...
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: 06/05/2010 12:18 am »
Politico article has quotes from Sen. Bill Nelson and Sen. Richard Shelby:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0610/38145.html
Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Fla.) said that the successful test suggests that the vehicle will be in "full operation delivering cargo to the International Space Station a year from now."

Republican Sen. Richard Shelby, whose state of Alabama is also a NASA stronghold, further decried the launch as a display merely replicating what “NASA accomplished in 1964.”

“Belated progress for one so-called commercial provider must not be confused with progress for our nation’s human space flight program,” Shelby said. “As a nation, we cannot place our future space flight on one fledgling company's definition of success.”

Obviously support in the senate for commercial space is more polarized then before. Nelson sounds more positive and less tentative.

On the other hand, Shelby doesn't celebrate a US accomplishment and then concern for taking the accomplishment too far - a reasoned response. Its almost vindictive in its tone - trying to wish everything bad to happen.

One problem with overreacting is that it hands the narrative over to your competition, as you surrender to a defensive, embattled position.
A bad time to show such a weakness.

Perhaps the goalposts have been moved and there is anger/fear/hope.
« Last Edit: 06/05/2010 12:29 am by nooneofconsequence »
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something" - Plato

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: 06/05/2010 01:03 am »
With the major media stations, as well as space fans, following this and applauding SpaceX, I think his statement will fall on deafened ears.

What is interesting though, is that I thought he would make some mention of Ares I-X in his statement, but it looks like even Shelby can't come up with something witty about that.
« Last Edit: 06/05/2010 01:05 am by gladiator1332 »

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
« Reply #7 on: 06/05/2010 02:30 pm »
My official reaction of course, is complete congratulation.

I think maybe the most important demonstration yesterday was turning off the rocket, then deliberately turning it on again a few minutes later.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #8 on: 06/05/2010 03:55 pm »
I think maybe the most important demonstration yesterday was turning off the rocket, then deliberately turning it on again a few minutes later.

Huh?

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
« Reply #9 on: 06/05/2010 03:55 pm »
The more I think about, the more I think Shelby and Hutchison made a big mistake in their responses. You do not simply shrug off an accomplishment that the majority of Americans (at least those who have shown interest in space) are calling a great accomplishment. They should have congratulated SpaceX, and then stated that more work is still needed on FY2011.

And what does Shelby mean by achieving what NASA already did in 1964? The last I checked Explorer 1 was launched in 1958. We had our first man in orbit in 1961. Besides SpaceX already achieved orbit with Falcon 1 back in 2008. No one is arguing that NASA has never done anything...I think everyone, including Elon Musk, would say NASA has done some remarkable things and still continues to today. However, that does not mean they have to be the only gig in town.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #10 on: 06/05/2010 04:18 pm »
I'm really mad at the allegedly Republican Senators' comments.  I agree that most Americans would disagree, but the only ones who matter to them are the ones in their states - who probably agree with them.  Such is life in a democratic republic.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #11 on: 06/05/2010 04:29 pm »
And what does Shelby mean by achieving what NASA already did in 1964?

I'm not sure myself, but I suspect that it relates to the Gemini/Titan system in some way.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 253
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #12 on: 06/05/2010 04:41 pm »
And what does Shelby mean by achieving what NASA already did in 1964?

I'm not sure myself, but I suspect that it relates to the Gemini/Titan system in some way.

I say specifically this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-101_%28SA-6%29

Offline Big Al

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: 06/05/2010 04:45 pm »
I think with a flight this successful, the politicians have been caught off guard. There is sort of a babbling coming from those with special interests. It appears that Elon does have the ear of the present administration, but they haven't really reacted with congratulations yet!

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
« Reply #14 on: 06/05/2010 05:26 pm »
I think with a flight this successful, the politicians have been caught off guard. There is sort of a babbling coming from those with special interests. It appears that Elon does have the ear of the present administration, but they haven't really reacted with congratulations yet!

I believe so too. It would be interesting to see what statements Shelby and Hutchinson had prepared if SpaceX failed. Probably something a long the lines of, "HAHA! Told you so!" I bet their fingers were hovering over the send button with those statements ready to go during the entire launch.

The ironic bit is that Shelby has to go back all the way to 1964 to try to find a comparable test launch...I still expected him to make some reference to Ares I-X.

If Obama really wants his FY2011 budget to pass, now would be the time to release a rally statement. As you said, Congress is more likely to believe now. A simple "congrats" from Obama is not enough. I think an "I told you so!" from the President would pretty much solidify it. Whether that is a good or bad thing is up for other threads relating to FY2011 to decide.
« Last Edit: 06/05/2010 05:29 pm by gladiator1332 »

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #15 on: 06/05/2010 06:00 pm »
The official response from the NewSpace crowd on twitter can seemingly be summed up with "freaking awesome!". No press releases yet.
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline tigerade

• Low Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #16 on: 06/05/2010 07:16 pm »
I'm really mad at the allegedly Republican Senators' comments.  I agree that most Americans would disagree, but the only ones who matter to them are the ones in their states - who probably agree with them.  Such is life in a democratic republic.

Yes, anyone find it odd that two Republican senators are placing their bets against private enterprise in favor of big government solutions?  :P

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #17 on: 06/05/2010 08:50 pm »
I'm a conservative (vs. being a Republican - there are conservatives in both parties) and find Sen. Shelby's actions ridiculous and anti-private enterprise,  but then he has NASA facilities in his state and keeping them humming helps his re-election prospects.  Many Democrats fight tooth and nail for their home-town government programs too so....
DM

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 543
  • Likes Given: 604
« Reply #18 on: 06/06/2010 05:00 am »

Yes, anyone find it odd that two Republican senators are placing their bets against private enterprise in favor of big government solutions?  :P

Not at all - politics is a dirty and dishonest profession...

Offline Lobo

• Spokane, WA
  • Liked: 672
  • Likes Given: 437
« Reply #19 on: 06/06/2010 05:18 am »

About as odd as it is for a President who's so in favor of big government solutions for pretty much everything is so in favor of private enterprise here...

My guess they are somewhat worried that the President and his supporters will try to use this successful launch as validation of his non-plan, and thus, NASA HSF will be end for a long time and we'll be stuck in LEO for 3 more decades...
Obviously that would be a blow for NASA and their districts.  (politicians politik, as DocMordrid said, go figure!)

So they are probably basically trying to say is, "Well, this is well and good, and it's what NASA has been working on for the past 4-5 years anyway with the COTS program, but let's not think that this should or can replace NASA HSF altogether."

But it probably would have sounded actually better if they'd just said it like that.  :)
« Last Edit: 06/06/2010 05:21 am by Lobo »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography