Author Topic: CNN Poll: 50 percent say ending shuttle program is bad for country  (Read 30002 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
Here is an interesting answer to one of the questions in the poll:
Only 38 percent say that the country should rely on government to run manned space missions in the future; with 54 percent saying they would prefer that private companies handle spaceflight in the years to come.

« Last Edit: 07/22/2011 02:09 pm by yg1968 »

Online Chris Bergin

Yep, which means the US public have cited support for commercial shuttles!

YAY! ;D
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
    • Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 16
The study shows support for American human spaceflight. However, poll after poll suggests that the USA does not want to spend more than what it currently does. In addition, if the question :"What do you think should be cut from the federal budget to reduce government spending? " is asked, "Reduce spending on space exploration" is a popular answer.  Grrrr.....

Offline Avariel

• Hastings, UK
    • G7JVN Amateur Radio and AIS Receiving Station in Hastings
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 127
Go Dream Chaser then! Yay! ^_^

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
So once again, the President knows what the public wants...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
As much as I agree with the specific point, I don't trust this poll (or others similar to it) and I'm pretty sure one could phrase poll questions to produce a response 180 degrees from this.  Sorry to say, but this just scratches my cynical itch about the poll and its purpose.

The support here is too superficial and transient -- if "we" had been deeply supportive and committed over the long term, yesterday wouldn't have been the end of an era -- regardless of whether one views that as good, bad, or a similarly subjective mixture of both.

Online Chris Bergin

Go Dream Chaser then! Yay! ^_^

Dream Chaser is going to be a star, not least because of the appearance. There's still some stigma over capsules. No one is going to have that with Dream Chaser.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
As much as I agree with the specific point, I don't trust this poll (or others similar to it) and I'm pretty sure one could phrase poll questions to produce a response 180 degrees from this.  Sorry to say, but this just scratches my cynical itch about the poll and its purpose.

The support here is too superficial and transient -- if "we" had been deeply supportive and committed over the long term, yesterday wouldn't have been the end of an era -- regardless of whether one views that as good, bad, or a similarly subjective mixture of both.

You nailed it “superficial and transient” snapshot of modern society. Might I add ADD and instant gratification. Watching the press conference yesterday and listening to Bill G answers and NASA’s approach aint going to cut it anymore… sorry guys.
Regards
Robert
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
    • Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum
  • Likes Given: 16
Dream Chaser does have some real curb appeal.

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
  • Likes Given: 0
The study shows support for American human spaceflight. However, poll after poll suggests that the USA does not want to spend more than what it currently does. In addition, if the question :"What do you think should be cut from the federal budget to reduce government spending? " is asked, "Reduce spending on space exploration" is a popular answer.  Grrrr.....

Problem is most do not have a firm grasp of what we spend on NASA.  I have never seen a poll that asks how much people think we spend and what percentage that is of the government budget. 
Enjoying viewing the forum a little better now by filtering certain users.

Offline strangequark

• Co-Founder, Tesseract Space
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 12
I would be curious to see a poll on when people realized the program was ending. I would bet good money that it's a frightening percentage that didn't know until July 8th, and probably a not small number that don't know yet.

Online Chris Bergin

I would be curious to see a poll on when people realized the program was ending. I would bet good money that it's a frightening percentage that didn't know until July 8th, and probably a not small number that don't know yet.

You can be absolutely sure of it. The vast majority had no idea.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115

Problem is most do not have a firm grasp of what we spend on NASA.  I have never seen a poll that asks how much people think we spend and what percentage that is of the government budget. 
Quite right.

We should change this.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline BeanEstimator

• Pray for Mojo
  • Taxation without Representation
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
So once again, the President knows what the public wants...

Which President?  The one that initiated and endorsed the plan in 2004 to retire Shuttle in 2010, or the current one we have now?

Funny how the american public was ready to cut her in 2003 and 2004, but now...its just jobs, jobs, jobs. 

Woah, has anyone read the comments on there?!  Good grief!  From the guy that thinks we are giving 30k pink slips, to the one talking about the space shuttle as disarming america against our enemies, to alien life...my oh my.
« Last Edit: 07/22/2011 03:31 pm by BeanEstimator »
Note:  My posts are meant to discuss matters of public concern.  Posts and opinions are entirely my own and do not represent NASA, the government, or anyone else.

"Balancing Act: Public Employees and Free Speech"
http://bit.ly/Nfy3ke

Offline RocketEconomist327

• Rocket Economist
  • Infecting the beltway with fiscal responsibility, limited government, and free markets.
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 62

...and once we do find out how NASA spends money you get frakked as hell... unless you are inside NASA or a contractor of course.

VR
RE327
You can talk about all the great things you can do, or want to do, in space; but unless the rocket scientists get a sound understanding of economics (and quickly), the US space program will never achieve the greatness it should.

Putting my money where my mouth is.

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 0
Not a wing nut myself but oh well, anything that makes us get commercial up and going is fine by me. Technically, Dreamchaser has no wings, it's a lifting body so to speak but, oh well. I'd prefer companies like Spacex to use capsules as they plan on adding BEO operations sometime in the future. LEO is just a way for Spacex to get in the HSF game so to speak. Glad to see the general public supports commercial spaceflight though.
« Last Edit: 07/22/2011 03:39 pm by mr. mark »

Online robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692

Woah, has anyone read the comments on there?!  Good grief!  From the guy that thinks we are giving 30k pink slips, to the one talking about the space shuttle as disarming america against our enemies, to alien life...my oh my.

Thanks for pointing that out. Some of them are way out to lunch.

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807

Thanks for pointing that out. Some of them are way out to lunch.

Some things never change.  I think President Kennedy knew what a bunch of loons we can be.  In fact, I suspect it's the reason for that long, drawn-out pause he put in one of his best-known speeches, right after he said:

"I believe that this nation should commit itself"

(yes, I know he went on to say some other things after that, but that was such a clear double entendre -- have to wonder how many of them got it?)  ;)

Offline DarkenedOne

• Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 9
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/21/cnn-poll-50-percent-say-ending-shuttle-program-is-bad-for-country/?iref=allsearch

This is mainly good across the board, notice support for pretty much all the things we like.

You know when an individual or in this case a country is forced to make budget cuts it reveals what they truly value, and what they do not.

When it comes to the US.  Entitlements are king.  Defense comes about second.  Practically then you have practically everything else.  Practically all the cuts that are being proposed are to the "discretionary spending," which includes infrastructure, NASA, Department of education, and etc.

I just do not know how we are going to maintain our lead in space and our dominance in the global arena when we save entitlements at the expensive of NASA.

In any case it is the young people who are getting screwed. 
« Last Edit: 07/22/2011 05:21 pm by DarkenedOne »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography