Author Topic: Glory and OCX failures may have been traced to supplier test falsification  (Read 1942 times)

Offline LouScheffer

• Liked: 1758
  • Likes Given: 200
Story from the Oregonian After failed space flights, NASA investigation leads to Portland claims an aluminum supplier falsified material tests, which may have lead to the fairing failures...

EDIT:  Link was to wrong source, fixed.
« Last Edit: 08/04/2017 12:26 PM by LouScheffer »

Offline Almurray1958

??? the link provided is for the BEPICOLOMBO TRAJECTORY OPTIONS TO MERCURY IN 2016 AND 2017,  nothing to do with the topic.

I found this:    http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2017/08/after_failed_space_flights_nas.html
« Last Edit: 08/04/2017 12:01 PM by Almurray1958 »
- Al Murray

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Commonwealth of Virginia
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 737
(My LIKE is for Lou and the journalism, not the chronic criminality of the Portland, OR operations of Anodizing, Inc. and Sapa Extrusions.)

I would encourage all of you to read the article.

Wow.  Just wow. :o
Support your local planetarium!

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2206
  • Likes Given: 446
Wow, gotta feel bad for Orbital, probably burned not once but twice by an unscrupulous supplier. IIRC, after the first failure, the aluminum frangible joint on the fairing was identified as a possible failure point, possibly due to improper heat treat, etc. So the aluminum joint was looked at. But apparently the faking of the materials certs wasn't discovered at that time. I doubt anyone suspected the supplier just plain lied. What a shame.

Tags: