Author Topic: TV Series: "Salvation" Pilot Tonight CBS  (Read 3850 times)

Online Jarnis

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 139
Re: TV Series: "Salvation" Pilot Tonight CBS
« Reply #20 on: 07/20/2017 07:15 PM »
Episode 2 tonight...
The first episode was actually somewhat better than I had expected, but episode 2 was pretty awful.  Making an "EM drive" a major plot point, moving the WIPP from New Mexico to Virginia (!?), etc.  It's a bad combination of implausible and kind of boring.  I'll give it another week but that'll probably do it.

I actually found the EM drive thing to be a good "science fiction" bit that brings the whole plot again to some kind of theoretical plausibility. I mean, without such a thing, 6 months to impact = wave bye bye, not much you can do. Add bit of scifi tech and it again becomes a story that might (on the overall scale of things) make sense.

Small details... TV budget/schedule, give them some slack. Probably outright couldn't afford filming in a location that would pass as New Mexico, so in this universe WIPP is elsewhere.

Online Jarnis

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 139
« Reply #21 on: 07/27/2017 06:05 AM »
Okay, forget my earlier comments. This thing went to epic fail territory in a hurry in the third episode. So many completely stupid self-inflicted mistakes that could've been done correctly without affecting the plot.

So, normal US TV crap then.

Offline sanman

• Liked: 471
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #22 on: 08/12/2017 02:40 PM »
I've binge-watched the first 6 episodes, and they all seemed quite interesting and suspenseful to me. Lots of mini-cliffhanger moments for the cut-to-commercial breaks. Okay, there were a few eyeroll moments too, but I do like the casting, and overall I'm very intrigued to see what happens next.

My biggest burning question:
[spoiler]
Who or what the hell is "Atlas"?

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 08/12/2017 02:41 PM by sanman »

Offline laszlo

• Liked: 154
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #23 on: 08/12/2017 03:20 PM »
Or "Lucifer's Hammer" by Niven and Pournelle.

... I'd like to see Niven and Pournelle's "Lucifer's Hammer" and "Footfall" be filmed.

Lucifer's Hammer not only had bad science (the drive across the submerged train tracks, the surfer on the mountain-sized tsunami, etc.) it was also racist (blacks always become cannibals when the going gets tough) and misogynistic. Footfall at least, didn't have the cannibalism.

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
  • Liked: 622
  • Likes Given: 1077
Re: TV Series: Salvation Pilot Tonight CBS
« Reply #24 on: 08/12/2017 03:35 PM »
There's probably a funny story waiting to be written about how science advisers to shows get treated.

Some show runners really care and they listen to their science advisers. Some really care, but don't understand anything, so they don't even know when they're messing up the science. Lots don't care enough to turn to their own science adviser much, and generally only do it when they need some sciency dialogue or a sciency plot device to move the story along.

I knew a guy who was a science adviser for a well-known show and I asked him how come, if he was a science adviser, there was so little science in the show. His response was "You should see the scripts before I get them!"

I know one, too. Some show about the last spaceborne vestiges of humanity on the run in rag-tag ships. You can guess what it is was.

He remains one of the best advisers as their show writers take him seriously based on past projects. Doesn't hurt that he was a former JPL employer on Cassini and knows a bit about real space.
"Why is the logo on the side of a rocket so important?"
"So you can find the pieces." -Jim, the Steely Eyed

Offline sanman

• Liked: 471
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #25 on: 08/24/2017 03:31 AM »
I really enjoyed the latest episode of Salvation.

[spoiler]Loved the Tom Clancy-style superpower confrontation, as the Russians bring their missile subs off the Florida coast, shooting down the F̶a̶l̶c̶o̶n̶H̶e̶a̶v̶y̶ Goliath-2 rocket before the THAAD system can intercept.

And then the Elon-style moment when Tanz runs out of the launch control room like a kid to watch his rocket achieving its milestone event.

[/spoiler]

Although I thought Wallops Island is supposed to be in Virginia, and not Florida - silly geographical error.

I like the writing, though - all kinds of mini-cliffhangers to keep it suspenseful throughout, like an episode of 24.

And so many references to current events were peppered in, like [spoiler]the POTUS making accusations against a Deep State[/spoiler]

In spite of the show's ratings, I really feel the creators and writers deserve kudos for the quality of their work.
« Last Edit: 08/24/2017 03:32 AM by sanman »

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 280
  • Likes Given: 144
« Reply #26 on: 08/30/2017 02:34 AM »
Or "Lucifer's Hammer" by Niven and Pournelle.

... I'd like to see Niven and Pournelle's "Lucifer's Hammer" and "Footfall" be filmed.

Lucifer's Hammer not only had bad science (the drive across the submerged train tracks, the surfer on the mountain-sized tsunami, etc.) it was also racist (blacks always become cannibals when the going gets tough) and misogynistic. Footfall at least, didn't have the cannibalism.

You want to generate some free buzz with people confused and upset by the premise, you can't beat Heinlein's Farnham's Freehold. Plenty o' cannibalism.

Tags: