Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : SES 11/Echostar 105 : Oct 11, 2017 : Discussion  (Read 93558 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Well, well. Apparently from 39A, which means 40 isn't close to ready and there's no chance of FH in November. Unless this is a default position and they can change it to 40.

SpaceX Opens Media Accreditation for EchoStar 105/SES-11 Mission

HAWTHORNE, Calif. – Aug. 31, 2017. Media accreditation is now open for SpaceX's EchoStar 105/SES-11 mission from Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The launch is targeted for no earlier than October.

A flight-proven Falcon 9 will deliver EchoStar 105/SES-11 to a geostationary transfer orbit (GTO).

Members of the media who are interested in covering the launch must fill out this media accreditation form by 3:00 p.m. EDT on Tuesday, September 5.

More details on the mission and pre-launch media activities will be made available on a date closer to launch.

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
[SpaceNews] SpaceX to launch shared EchoStar, SES satellite in October
Both satellite operators originally anticipated the spacecraft launching in late 2016, but SpaceX’s September 2016 Falcon 9 explosion set the mission back about a year.

This is one of a couple late-2016 payloads that haven't flown yet.  Every time SpaceX has a gap in their launch schedule some people seem to think they're waiting on payloads.  They're not waiting on payloads, quite the opposite.

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365
This is one of a couple late-2016 payloads that haven't flown yet.  Every time SpaceX has a gap in their launch schedule some people seem to think they're waiting on payloads.  They're not waiting on payloads, quite the opposite.

Does that mean this payload has been in storage for a year?

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US

Does that mean this payload has been in storage for a year?

We don't normally see any information on when a satellite is completed, but in May of last year they were still expecting a Q4 2016 launch, so it's probably been in storage at least 9 months if they didn't hit any production snags with it.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
I wonder where this is now.  We need to get some of our ship trackers interested in Antonovs  :)

Online Galactic Penguin SST

Spaceflight Now currently reports the launch date to be on October 2nd.  ;)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078

2nd and 4th of October (SES-11 and Iridium #3, respectively). 
Could be start of something big...
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline whitelancer64

There were also 2 days between BulgariaSat-1 (6/23/17) and Iridium Next 2 (6/25/17)
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078

There were also 2 days between BulgariaSat-1 (6/23/17) and Iridium Next 2 (6/25/17)

Was referring to the fact that the 4th quarter is just beginning, and they have 8-10 launches potentially on manifest for rest of 2017.  Starting with two launches in first four days makes reaching 20 for the year fairly realistic.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US

Then it should be at the Cape already?  I wonder which cleanroom it's in.  Their main PPF got some damage from the last hurricane.

Offline vaporcobra

Then it should be at the Cape already?  I wonder which cleanroom it's in.  Their main PPF got some damage from the last hurricane.

And Hurricane Matthew was downright mild compared to predictions for Irma... Fingers crossed.

Offline whitelancer64

Was referring to the fact that the 4th quarter is just beginning, and they have 8-10 launches potentially on manifest for rest of 2017.  Starting with two launches in first four days makes reaching 20 for the year fairly realistic.

Of those 8-10, I think only 6 have a reasonable chance of launching, that would give us a total of 18, which is still very good. Right now there's nothing for the rest of the month, and then it looks like it might be a two-launch October. We'll see how the schedule (and more importantly, the Florida winter weather) shapes up.

I see SES-11 / EchoStar 105, Iridium Next 3, Falcon Heavy Demo, Iridium Next 4, Koreasat 5A, Hispasat 30W-6, Paz, SES-16 / GovSat-1, Bangabandhu 1, and CRS-13 on the schedule, but I think the last 4 are very likely to bump to early 2018, but most likely a lot will depend on the weather.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
There is a Manifest thread for this kind of discussion and the 2017 SpaceX launches poll thread for endless discussion about how many more SpaceX can squeeze in before Pope Gregory XIII's chosen end of the year.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
[Spaceflight Now] Launch operators expect minimal delays from Hurricane Irma
SES officials said the SES 11/EchoStar 105 satellite weathered the storm without damage inside a SpaceX-owned clean room in a hangar near pad 40. If ground crews can resume work on the satellite within a few days, the payload could still be ready for liftoff in early October.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
You started an update thread that seemed to strongly suggest an NET date of 20th October.

October 2?, 2017 on Falcon 9 with a reused booster (1031.2) from LC-39A at KSC.  Probably an ASDS landing.

If I misread that, then my apologies.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
You started an update thread that seemed to strongly suggest an NET date of 20th October.

October 2?, 2017 on Falcon 9 with a reused booster (1031.2) from LC-39A at KSC.  Probably an ASDS landing.

October 2 (question mark).  October 2 has been previously reported but there's that whole hurricane cleanup thing going on...

Offline vaporcobra

October 2 (question mark).  October 2 has been previously reported but there's that whole hurricane cleanup thing going on...

FWIW: "45th Space Wing Cdr Monteith expects launches to resume early Oct. with SpaceX/SES-11. Wing hosted Army 101st Airborne after Irma." courtesy of James Dean.

https://twitter.com/flatoday_jdean/status/907984047128944640

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
    • Home of the ThreadRipper Cadillac
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 2735
Am I correct in saying... No official confirmation yet this will not be an expendable S1 flight?...  ???

My thinking is the barns are full and this payload is nearly at weight limit...  so expendable it will be...  :P
« Last Edit: 09/19/2017 08:49 pm by John Alan »

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Am I correct in saying... No official confirmation yet this will not be an expendable S1 flight?...  ???

My thinking is the barns are full and this payload is nearly at weight limit...  so expendable it will be...  :P

It's probably ASDS (but I'd like to see some official word of that), I guess we'll find out if Block 4 makes any difference.

Offline vaporcobra

I'm with Gongora here. 5400kg vs 5300kg for SES-10, so I would be surprised if SpaceX didn't at least attempt an ASDS recovery.
« Last Edit: 09/19/2017 09:00 pm by vaporcobra »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography