Author Topic: Chang'e-5 lunar sample return, CZ-5 - Wenchang - 2019  (Read 46210 times)

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 365
  • Likes Given: 341
Re: Chang'e-5 lunar sample return, CZ-5 - Wenchang - 2019
« Reply #120 on: 07/11/2017 09:20 PM »
I don't think this is likely.  The young basalts near Mons Rumker are a very important goal for CE5.  The second sample return mission, CE6, is much more likely, in my opinion, to go to a farside site using the CE4 infrastructure.  There is now talk of two polar landings after CE6, in addition.

Any idea *why* there should be such a 'young' volcanic area there?

Offline Phil Stooke

• Canada
  • Liked: 204
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #121 on: 07/11/2017 10:01 PM »
The youngest lava flows, maybe 1.5 billion years old, tend to have sources in the broad region around Aristarchus crater in eastern Oceanus Procellarum, with patchy distribution and flowing in various directions out from that general region.  One source in the Euler region (NW of Copernicus in southern Mare Imbrium) produced flows which ran all the way to the Chang'E 3 landing site.  Other young flows are found south of Aristarchus itself, and these at Rumker probably have a source north of the Aristrachus Plateau.  The concentration here MIGHT be caused by the elevated amounts of radioactive materials associated with KREEP, an unusual material sampled by Apollo and found around that region.  KREEP was sampled, but not the young lava flows.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

(unofficial news) According to the weibo of ChinaSpaceflight, Chang'e 5 might be delayed to 2019.

Note that this is the only source that gives any info on this till now, based on their own sources. While I think it's certainly a plausible plan on the table, I think it's far too early to declare a 1.5+ years delay, especially since we don't know what failed yet.
Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Online luhai167

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #123 on: 07/13/2017 02:41 AM »
Ouyang Ziyuan said in his most recent interview where he supposedly said "to the best of my knowledge, there has being no change to CE-5 launch plan (due to the recent CZ-5 failure)." He further said, any test flight will have problems, and our engineers are capable to find and solve these problems.

几天前,长征5号火箭发射失利引发国内外媒体高度关注,因为长征5号年底即将搭载嫦娥5号进行中国无人探月工程的最后一步,一些媒体猜测嫦娥5号发射进程或将受到影响。欧阳自远对此也非常关注,但他说,从他了解的情况看,嫦娥5号发射计划目前没有改变。

“刚刚实验的是长征5号第二次试飞,第二次试飞很遗憾没有进入到预定轨道,我们的工作是难免有这样那样的缺陷,我们一定会从失败当中吸取教训,改进工作,提高质量。”欧阳自远说,任何试飞都会出现一些小问题,但中国航天部门广大的科技人员有实力解决这些问题。

https://kknews.cc/news/pxq439p.html
https://weibo.com/6243310541/Fc4abdBhX?type=comment

The interview is part of a forum-lecture, so hopefully we should see the actual video of exactly what he said once it is scheduled to air.

I wonder if this mean they have root cause the problem and it is not related (or used) in the CE-5 launch.
« Last Edit: 07/13/2017 02:47 AM by luhai167 »

Offline SmallKing

• Zhejiang, China, the Earth
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #124 on: 07/13/2017 04:22 AM »
Ouyang Ziyuan said in his most recent interview where he supposedly said "to the best of my knowledge, there has being no change to CE-5 launch plan (due to the recent CZ-5 failure)." He further said, any test flight will have problems, and our engineers are capable to find and solve these problems.

几天前,长征5号火箭发射失利引发国内外媒体高度关注,因为长征5号年底即将搭载嫦娥5号进行中国无人探月工程的最后一步,一些媒体猜测嫦娥5号发射进程或将受到影响。欧阳自远对此也非常关注,但他说,从他了解的情况看,嫦娥5号发射计划目前没有改变。

“刚刚实验的是长征5号第二次试飞,第二次试飞很遗憾没有进入到预定轨道,我们的工作是难免有这样那样的缺陷,我们一定会从失败当中吸取教训,改进工作,提高质量。”欧阳自远说,任何试飞都会出现一些小问题,但中国航天部门广大的科技人员有实力解决这些问题。

The interview is part of a forum-lecture, so hopefully we should see the actual video of exactly what he said once it is scheduled to air.

I wonder if this mean they have root cause the problem and it is not related (or used) in the CE-5 launch.
Ouyang Ziyuan is not a really reliable source
He is a layman in rocketry
Some are bound for happiness, some are bound to glory, some are bound to live with less, who can tell your story?

Online luhai167

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Chang'e-5 lunar sample return, CZ-5 - Wenchang - NET 2017
« Reply #125 on: 07/13/2017 08:43 AM »

True, but at least he is a reliable insider in the program management end. What this means is there is at least no immediate decision to delay the CE5 launch. It does not mean they won't delay it later, but at least for now the schedule is end of this year.

Offline SmallKing

« Reply #126 on: 07/28/2017 11:04 AM »
delay to 2019
Some are bound for happiness, some are bound to glory, some are bound to live with less, who can tell your story?

Offline method

• antony
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #127 on: 08/11/2017 07:06 PM »
To follow the Chinese space programme in France since the nineties - and particular lunar exploration - Ouyang Ziyuan is far the best person to obtain serious informations of Lunar exploration in China. Its claims are always very acurate since 1999 !... Please, it's a very reliable source. For me it's the more important man in the Moon programme from China Academy of Science in China and when the Party authorize him to speak, you have to analyse each word of the message...

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1341
  • Likes Given: 168
Chang'e-5 lunar sample return, CZ-5 - Wenchang - 2019
« Reply #128 on: 10/10/2017 07:27 PM »
Jeff Foust @jeff_foust
Xiao: no official launch date for Chang’e-5 (delayed by Long March 5 failure); guess need 1-2 successful launches before it. #leag2017

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/917784304163409920

Jeff Foust @jeff_foust
Xiao: next phase of lunar exploration program will be series of polar missions, including sample return, in early 2020s. #leag2017

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/917783956115873792
« Last Edit: 10/10/2017 07:32 PM by Star One »

Offline Moon Rabbit

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #129 on: 10/14/2017 09:19 AM »
delay to 2019

was the photo taken in July 2017? Looks like a projector screening during a meeting/briefing.
The Mercury Seven - Carpenter, Cooper, Glenn, Grissom, Schirra, Shepard, Slayton. “Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” - Carl Sagan

Offline SmallKing

« Reply #130 on: 10/14/2017 01:50 PM »
delay to 2019

was the photo taken in July 2017? Looks like a projector screening during a meeting/briefing.
I think so. And we know the delay was confirmed by later information

Offline Moon Rabbit

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #131 on: 10/14/2017 03:29 PM »
delay to 2019

I think so. And we know the delay was confirmed by later information

Most people agree the launch date for Chang'e 5 will be in 2019. i have been searching for official  confirmation of this date but cannot really find many:-

The best i found was the announcement by Tian Yulong (Sec Gen of CNSA) during a press conference in Adelaide on 25 September 2017.
http://spacenews.com/long-march-5-failure-to-postpone-chinas-lunar-exploration-program/

“The Long March 5 is a bigger challenge for China’s space agency,” he said. “In the future, maybe the end of the year, we will have a clear understanding of the problem.” (paragraph 3)

The next Long March 5 mission was scheduled for this November, carrying Chang’e-5, China’s first lunar sample return mission. That spacecraft will land on the moon, gather samples and return them to Earth in the first such mission to the moon in more than four decades. With the Long March rocket grounded while the investigation continues, Tian confirmed that mission would be delayed. (paragraph 6)

“We plan to adjust the schedule” for that mission, he said, along with Chang’e-4, a lunar lander that will be the first spacecraft to land on the far side of the moon. That mission was scheduled to launch in late 2018, about a year after Chang’e-5. (paragraph 7)

“By the end of the year we will have some detailed information” about the revised schedule for those missions, Tian said. (paragraph 8 )

Long March 5 delays are also expected to push back the launch of Tianhe, the core module of China’s first space station. That launch was expected some time in 2018 but will likely be delayed to 2019. (paragrapgh 9)

Mr Tian confirm the delay of Chang'e 5 and plan to adjust the schedule but actually did not mention new launch date of 2019. Actually there was just mentioned of new launch date for Tianhe in 2019 and not Chang'e 5.

So i was just thinking there could have been more information between July 2017 and September 2017 about the failure of CZ-5 (Y2) and CNSA may be more confident of an earlier date for Chang'e 5 launch. i am hoping we do not have to wait till 2019 for the Moon samples...
The Mercury Seven - Carpenter, Cooper, Glenn, Grissom, Schirra, Shepard, Slayton. “Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” - Carl Sagan

Online Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 648
« Reply #132 on: 10/14/2017 03:38 PM »
This launch schedule was showing that Tianhe 1 would be launched in 2019 from around May this year: https://www.chinaspaceflight.com/China-Launch-Schedule.html.   Therefore its delay to 2019 is not connected with the CZ-5 failure: of course its actual launch date will depend on the CZ-5 operations in 2018.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Tags: