Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Next
Advanced Concepts / Re: Anti-Protons Are Going On A Road Trip
« Last post by QuantumG on Today at 10:30 PM »
There's 6.023 x 1023 protons in 1.008 grams of hydrogen. So 109 protons is 1.67358459 x 10-15 grams or 1.67358459 x 10-18 kg. e = mc2 alright, so e = 2 x 1.67358459 x 10-18 x 8.98755179 ◊ 1016 = 0.3008 joules.
SpaceX Reusable Rockets Section / Re: Fairing reuse
« Last post by Swedish chef on Today at 10:14 PM »
I was thinking, if the net on Mr Steven proves to be a bit to small, why not step it up and use a similar construction on board a barge? I belive Of Course I Still Love You is 88*52 meters, if one make a similar construction that is on board Mr Steven could one perhaps get to 176*104 meter? Looking at the numbers for some of the automatic parachute landing system one starts to get close to the published landing accuracy on dry land. 
Great discussion but nobody answered the question I asked.

What was the ACTUAL payload weight of the FH demo?

google says a Tesla model S weights 4,469 to 4,941 lbs.  FH can lift more than that but besides the mounting hardware was there other ballast in the payload??
The Tesla payload may have weighed less than a standard Tesla Roadster. The front disc brakes were removed, for example.
Or more - payload fitting and attach structure, ...
Space Policy Discussion / Re: Op-ed by Jeff Bingham on FH and SLS
« Last post by DatUser14 on Today at 10:03 PM »
and now the official NASA Orion FB page has linked this article... hooh boy.
How did the Hawaii legislature bill even get started? Funding SpinLaunch feels like a very strange way to spend more than $20 million of public money.

It also seems odd given the recent problems with the TMT. How would that cause cultural concerns with some native Hawaiians but objects in the same area leaving at orbital velocities somehow be OK?

It doesn't exit the launcher at orbital velocities, rather it is comparable to tube artillery projectile velocity.
I've already concluded that Bigelow do not really have their act together. Robert Bigelow picked the wrong horse some time ago[1], and designing modules without regard for what could launch them, so that none of them are sized to max out a payload fairing of some commercial launcher? Maybe I am the only person who thinks this.

1 - Not figuring out how to ally with Elon, purveyor of the cheapest launches, was dumb.

You're not the only one. I love his station designs but they are unlaunchable. He needs SLS but I doubt even he can foot that launch bill.

Iím with Lar.
And whatís to love?
A size that doesnít fit in the volume available in the smaller of the current (more than PowerPoint) launchers?
Mock-ups of no particular distinction?
Structural envelopes with no visible progress in power or life support systems?
No employees not named Bigelow who have remained with the company over the decade and a half?
Still no one making any public statement of commitment?
An alliance with CASIS?
I was pretty enthusiastic about Bigelow in 2004. Encouraged my engineering intern to apply for a job, which gave her great experience. But there are fundamental, structural reasons they have made little progress in a dozen years.

With a company like this, you can't separate the founder/CEO from the corporate entity.
Start there.
Advanced Concepts / Re: Anti-Protons Are Going On A Road Trip
« Last post by ncb1397 on Today at 09:51 PM »
The articles on this say they are planning on transporting a billion anti-protons. So, how much energy would the annihilation of 2 billion anti-protons/protons release?

https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/emc2

According to the calculator, it would release ~27,391,057,453,595,675 kilowatt-hours. It doesn't sound right to me (or safe). Anyone can verify that?

edit: On a different calculator, I get something like .3 Joules. Sounds closer.
http://www.calctool.org/CALC/phys/relativity/emc

edit: doing it without the calculalators seems to yield .3 joules. A useful amount of energy. Need to put some zeros on that but it is a start.
Chris Gebhardt's excellent article about the upcoming decision about the continuation of the Juno mission had me riveted to the screen, both for his informative commentary and the visuals provided. I was especially taken with the video Juno returned when it flew into and then out of the Giant Red spot. I watched the altimeter and temperature on the left side as Juno entered the storm. In spite of it being 225 kilometers below the top we could still clearly see the swirling clouds and the rising temperature was surprisingly less than I expected, reaching only 520 degrees kelvin. Compared to the surface temperature of Venus that was quite benign. I wish there had also been a pressure gauge with it but it was still much more data than I expected to see. Knowing that Juno was designed to protect from radiation, not pressure, I wonder how difficult it would be (for a future probe) to penetrate the Jovan atmosphere as far down as it can get relaying the same data; altitude, temperature, pressure and, of course visuals.

I truly hope the decision is to continue the mission, in spite of the engine valve anomaly that left the spacecraft in the 53-day orbit instead of the intended 14-day orbit. It has already proven its worth with a treasure trove of completely unexpected data returns, with much more promised if the spacecraft is allowed to continue. 

All in all Chris I was very pleased with your article. Thank you.
SpaceX General Section / Re: Will the FH be profitable?
« Last post by RedLineTrain on Today at 09:37 PM »
I don't think it makes sense to compete against SLS, given that SLS doesn't have any payloads in any event.  But it might make sense for SpaceX to lead the market where it wants it to go, with the target being the existence of BFR-class payloads in 5-10 years.

Do the second-stage stretch and then lengthen the fairing.  Quite a nice package for $95 million.  That should create a bit of demand.
Commercial Space Flight General / Re: Sea Launch Future
« Last post by Lars-J on Today at 09:33 PM »
Everyone knows this is isn't happening, so I'm not sure why they bother to put up the act.

Even if they could solve the multitude of technical and assembly problems, the launch market is a lot more competitive now compared to when Sea Launch began.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Next