Author Topic: Apollo Q&A  (Read 243937 times)

Offline Captain Michael

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Apollo Q&A
« on: 04/22/2009 10:45 am »
I was just wondering, why did need to stir th cryo tanks on the Apollo missions??
Andrew

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: Apollo Q&A
« Reply #1 on: 04/22/2009 11:35 am »
I was just wondering, why did need to stir th cryo tanks on the Apollo missions??
Andrew
Because LOX stratifies in 0g and to get an accurate measurement of the amount remaining, it needed to be stirred to make it homogenous

Offline Danny Dot

• Rocket Scientist, NOT Retired
  • Houston, Texas
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: 04/22/2009 01:34 pm »
Andrew
Because LOX stratifies in 0g and to get an accurate measurement of the amount remaining, it needed to be stirred to make it homogenous

Very interesting.  Can you provide a link to give more details on the nature of the statification and how quantity was measured?  I am very familiar with quantity measurement in shuttle RCS and OMS and it involves using the pressure and temperate of the helium.  This obviously wouldn't work for LOX tanks. 

Danny
Danny Deger

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #3 on: 04/22/2009 04:42 pm »
I am very familiar with quantity measurement in shuttle RCS and OMS and it involves using the pressure and temperate of the helium.

Those are standard diaphragm tanks that keep the prop and helium separate, right?  Who makes them?
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Spacenick

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: 04/22/2009 08:22 pm »
Let's make this into an Apollo Program Q&A thread.
I'd like to know how the Atmosphere in teh Command module was composed and at what pressure it was mantained. I'd also like to know if it was different then what is used on Soyuz how this was handled during ATSP

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #5 on: 04/22/2009 08:29 pm »
Let's make this into an Apollo Program Q&A thread.
I'd like to know how the Atmosphere in teh Command module was composed and at what pressure it was mantained. I'd also like to know if it was different then what is used on Soyuz how this was handled during ATSP

5 psia pure O2. Soyuz used (and still uses) 14.7 psia air. The ASTP docking module acted as an airlock between the two.
JRF

Offline Spacenick

« Reply #6 on: 04/22/2009 08:57 pm »
How came they adopted the idea of pure O2, that also lead to the Apollo 1 disaster? From a layman point of view it is so absurd. Carrying people in an Atmosphere alike the natural one on earth seems to be the only logical way to do it, but hey must have had reasons, what were they?
My guess would be that with such an atmosphere you need less (no?) prebreath time when doing an EVA.
« Last Edit: 04/22/2009 08:57 pm by Spacenick »

Offline mdo

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: 04/22/2009 10:05 pm »
My guess would be that with such an atmosphere you need less (no?) prebreath time when doing an EVA.
Yes.  It was used in orbit also after Apollo 1 but no longer while on the ground.

My understanding of the Apollo 1 accident report http://history.nasa.gov/Apollo204/content.html  is that it has more to do with pressure, materials used etc. rather than Oxygen. The life support system kept feeding additional Oxygen to compensate for what the fire ate away. The internal pressure was rising and as a consequence the inward opening hatch could not be operated any more ...

Offline Spacenick

« Reply #8 on: 04/22/2009 10:18 pm »
I'm pretty sure a pure oxygen environment poses much higher risks for fire whatever you do. One example for this is that NASA ruled out the use of pencils on Apollo because they were deemed too flamable. This shouldn't be a problem in either Soyuz or on the ISS.

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #9 on: 04/22/2009 11:32 pm »
How came they adopted the idea of pure O2, that also lead to the Apollo 1 disaster? From a layman point of view it is so absurd. Carrying people in an Atmosphere alike the natural one on earth seems to be the only logical way to do it, but hey must have had reasons, what were they?

Main consideration was that pure O2 allows much lower pressure, which means the pressure vessel doesn't have to be as strong (and can be much lighter). This was critical to get the performance for lunar missions, especially the LM.
JRF

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #10 on: 04/23/2009 04:01 am »

5 psia does not have the same issues as 14.7 psia does. 

Offline Spacenick

« Reply #11 on: 04/23/2009 06:25 pm »
I was asking for the issues not whether there are any!

Offline Danny Dot

• Rocket Scientist, NOT Retired
  • Houston, Texas
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #12 on: 04/23/2009 09:16 pm »
I am very familiar with quantity measurement in shuttle RCS and OMS and it involves using the pressure and temperate of the helium.

Those are standard diaphragm tanks that keep the prop and helium separate, right?  Who makes them?

They have no diaphragms because diaphragms tend to fatigue and crack with multiple uses.  They have screens that use fluid capillary tension to prevent the helium from leaving the tank and getting to the jets/engines.  The OMS tanks also rely on acceleration from the OMS engines to keep the prop to the back during a OMS burn. 

I do not know who makes them.

Danny Deger
« Last Edit: 04/23/2009 09:23 pm by Danny Dot »
Danny Deger

Offline mdo

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #13 on: 04/24/2009 05:41 pm »
How came they adopted the idea of pure O2, that also lead to the Apollo 1 disaster? From a layman point of view it is so absurd.

Weight reduction.

I was waiting for an expert to answer and who might have some numbers on how much it saves in terms of launch mass. Anyway, for each kg of command module returning to Earth it took more than 500 kg of Saturn V launch mass! So, reducing the mass of this module really made the difference.

The atmosphere at sea level corresponds to a water column 10m/30ft tall. On the launch pad that is no issue given that internal and external pressure are in equilibrium. In space there is no outside pressure and so by taking out the nitrogen the internal pressure goes down to about one third. Hence less load on the structure.

BTW, this is also done in commercial airliners by lowering the cabin pressure when climbing to cruising altitude - although without changing the oxygen/nitrogen ratio. That means less O2 for the passengers than on sea level which is acceptable for sitting in a chair but not desirable when performing work in space for extended periods of time.

Offline xologist

« Reply #14 on: 07/19/2009 08:02 pm »
I would like to know how the Apollo 11, 12, 14 are similar to Apollo 15, and also how they differ from Apollo 15.

:)

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 1275
« Reply #15 on: 07/19/2009 08:10 pm »
I would like to know how the Apollo 11, 12, 14 are similar to Apollo 15, and also how they differ from Apollo 15.

CM? LM? CM+SM?
If you're looking to find out differences down to the plumbing, wiring, and subsystem details, that would require quite a bit of research beyond anyone's quick replies here.

For research info, these links would be helpful:
http://www.geocities.com/bobandrepont/apollopdf.htm
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/SP-4009/contents.htm
« Last Edit: 07/19/2009 08:15 pm by MKremer »

Offline xologist

« Reply #16 on: 07/19/2009 08:17 pm »

CM? LM? CM+SM?
If you're looking to find out differences down to the plumbing, wiring, and subsystem details, that would require quite a bit of research beyond anyone's quick replies here.

No no.. lol not at all
Just the basic similarities and differences.

I'm not asking to tell me how many gallons of gass and which way the astronauts were looking when they took off etc lol too much.. neither apollo 14 had a minor scratch in its paint.

Just simple easy stuff.. comparing and contrasting 11, 12, 14, to 15

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 1275
« Reply #17 on: 07/19/2009 08:42 pm »

That should be easy enough to figure out just using Wikipedia pages on each mission.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #18 on: 07/19/2009 09:20 pm »

CM? LM? CM+SM?

No no.. lol not at all
Just the basic similarities and differences.

I'm not asking to tell me how many gallons of gass and which way the astronauts were looking when they took off etc lol too much.. neither apollo 14 had a minor scratch in its paint.

Look up Apollo by the numbers

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #19 on: 07/20/2009 02:19 am »
Mine may be a little of a bad question but I have always wondered. How did the Apollo crews access the SM? They had their seats behind them and under them they had the solid heat shield. Also how did they access the LM? They had the panels in front of them. Diagrams and pictures would be very helpful.

Sorry if these questions sound kinda dumb.

Thanks
NSF L2=The Ultimate Space Passport

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography