Author Topic: Endeavour's street journey to CSC Viewing, Updates  (Read 292444 times)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8802
  • Likes Given: 7821
Re: Endeavour's street journey to CSC Viewing, Updates
« Reply #1300 on: 10/29/2012 07:34 pm »
Panorama: Space shuttle Endeavour at the California Science Center

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-space-shuttle-endeavour-california-science-center-pano,0,6553732.htmlstory

There are four Panorama pictures that can be selected on the left.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #1301 on: 10/29/2012 07:42 pm »
A very "clean" exhibit, unlike Discovery in the Smithsonian - CSC are just letting Endeavour do the talking.

Personally, I like it.

Am surprised though that they don't have an absolutely massive canvas of Endeavour docked to the ISS, taken from the Soyuz during STS-134. That would be cool.

Edit:

Also, this photo would be a good one to have blown up and displayed, as it shows Endeavour, the SpaceHab SM, and the ISS.
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-118/lores/iss015e22575.jpg

I'm sure these photos are in there somewhere - only smaller.
« Last Edit: 10/29/2012 07:48 pm by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #1302 on: 10/29/2012 08:06 pm »
A very "clean" exhibit, unlike Discovery in the Smithsonian - CSC are just letting Endeavour do the talking.
Apples and oranges.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #1304 on: 10/30/2012 11:37 pm »
Picture of future display plans:
http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts134/121030opening/39.jpg

I think that looks fantastic. I will take bigger pictures when I go tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 10/30/2012 11:39 pm by Jason1701 »

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #1305 on: 10/31/2012 01:27 am »
Great photo, Jason. I was equally excited when I saw this today.

Here's the complete gallery of today's Opening photos from SpaceFlightNow.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts134/121030opening/

Quite an impressive setup, especially as it's temporary. I like the displays of the SpaceHab, SSME, WCS, and Endeavour's tires.

Was also pleased to see the seismic mounts that she is attached to. I'm assuming a similar setup for the stack, when the vertical display is completed?

On the SpaceHab display, Jason, can you get a shot looking into the window where the docking tunnel was connected? I'm curious to see the interior.

Thanks,
David
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline TheFallen

• Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #1306 on: 10/31/2012 01:51 am »
Picture of future display plans:
http://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts134/121030opening/39.jpg

I think that looks fantastic. I will take bigger pictures when I go tomorrow.

Nice! Please make this display plan a reality by donating money to CSC...if you're a Twitter user:

http://www.toyota.com/tundraendeavour/#tweet-drive

And no, I don't work for the science center or Toyota  :P

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #1307 on: 11/01/2012 03:47 am »
The exhibit is extremely well done, including the "California Story" in the permanent part of the museum.

Science Center officials confirmed that Endeavour will be completely enclosed when in the new vertical display area, to which it is expected to be moved in about 5 years. A part of the model not shown in the SpaceflightNow picture told me where the display will be located - attached to the east side of the current building, where a single-story office complex is now located (shown in last picture, looking SE).

I've also attached an explanation of the seismic mounts in case anyone doubts the safety of Endeavour in the event of a natural disaster.
« Last Edit: 11/01/2012 03:48 am by Jason1701 »

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #1308 on: 11/01/2012 01:58 pm »
A government Transfer Order for Excess Personal Property is seen framed outside the office of President and CEO, California Science Center, Jeffrey N. Rudolph, on Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012, in Los Angeles. The grand opening ceremony for the California Science center's Samuel Oschin Space Shuttle Endeavour Display Pavilion took place on Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012. Endeavour, built as a replacement for space shuttle Challenger, completed 25 missions, spent 299 days in orbit, and orbited Earth 4,671 times while traveling 122,883,151 miles. Photo Credit: (NASA/Bill Ingalls)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nasahqphoto/8139681982/in/photostream
Jacques :-)

Offline gordo

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1309 on: 11/01/2012 08:39 pm »
Love the price on that transfer order $1.9Billion

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1310 on: 11/01/2012 09:07 pm »
Looks like people will be able to walk under Endeavour after all

The decision to allow visitors to walk under Endeavour was made last minute, after Endeavour was inside the pavilion. According to CSC officials, they had not taken into account the additional height that the seismic isolators would add to the mounting pedestals. After they saw how much higher Endeavour was off the ground, they called the fire marshal and got the okay to proceed.

Fortunately, the drilling to install the planned perimeter fence hadn't yet begun and the contractor set about resizing the fence to circle just the gear and pedestals.

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
« Reply #1311 on: 11/06/2012 12:09 pm »
The exhibit is extremely well done, including the "California Story" in the permanent part of the museum.

Science Center officials confirmed that Endeavour will be completely enclosed when in the new vertical display area, to which it is expected to be moved in about 5 years. A part of the model not shown in the SpaceflightNow picture told me where the display will be located - attached to the east side of the current building, where a single-story office complex is now located (shown in last picture, looking SE).

I've also attached an explanation of the seismic mounts in case anyone doubts the safety of Endeavour in the event of a natural disaster.

Very nice photos, Jason! Thanks for getting the ones of the SpaceHab interior. Nice to see that the interior is illuminated. I like that the storage racks have been loaded with cargo bags, to show a "flight-like" condition. Thanks again.

David
« Last Edit: 11/06/2012 12:09 pm by Alpha Control »
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #1312 on: 11/06/2012 12:23 pm »

Very nice photos, Jason! Thanks for getting the ones of the SpaceHab interior. Nice to see that the interior is illuminated. I like that the storage racks have been loaded with cargo bags, to show a "flight-like" condition. Thanks again.

Actually those aren't cargo bags.  Those are "sleeves" in which bags are carried.

Offline Ares67

• Oliver
  • Remscheid, Germany
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #1313 on: 11/07/2012 04:33 pm »
Great photos - excellent plan, CSC!

That's how you show respect to a retired orbiter! You don't just put them in a tent and hope for the best.

And I didn't know that the plan was to leave one payload bay door open in the final display concept - interesting. I like the design of the viewing tower.

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
« Reply #1314 on: 11/08/2012 02:50 am »

Actually those aren't cargo bags.  Those are "sleeves" in which bags are carried.

Thanks Jim! I should have caught that. What I thought were "cargo bags", as I saw them, are a brownish color, instead of the white of the actual cargo bags that are transferred on orbit.

Interesting; I didn't realize that the cargo bags were stored in sleeves. Do you know if that just for SpaceHab?

Thanks,
David
Space launches attended:

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #1315 on: 11/09/2012 04:37 am »
2 days ago, on Nov 6th, I got the best birthday present I have ever had.  (And it had nothing to do with the election).  I saw Endeavour up close and in person at CSC.  Here's a couple of pics I got.

I got to walk underneath and I got a much better sense of its real size.  And this was the first time I got to see a shuttle closeup with its main engines.  Walking under the thing was amazing.
« Last Edit: 11/09/2012 05:03 am by Bubbinski »
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #1316 on: 11/09/2012 04:41 am »
Here are a couple more pics:
« Last Edit: 11/09/2012 04:43 am by Bubbinski »
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #1317 on: 11/09/2012 04:44 am »
And a couple *more* pics.
« Last Edit: 11/09/2012 04:45 am by Bubbinski »

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #1318 on: 11/09/2012 04:46 am »
Okay now for a nose on shot. And the Spacehab.
« Last Edit: 11/09/2012 04:47 am by Bubbinski »

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #1319 on: 11/09/2012 04:48 am »
I'll leave you with a couple more close ups.
« Last Edit: 11/09/2012 04:50 am by Bubbinski »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography