Author Topic: Zarya (14F70) the "Super Soyuz"  (Read 7728 times)

Offline archipeppe68

• Italy
  • Liked: 171
  • Likes Given: 23
Zarya (14F70) the "Super Soyuz"
« on: 06/27/2012 09:49 am »
Enjoy it.  :)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
Re: Zarya (14F70) the "Super Soyuz"
« Reply #1 on: 06/28/2012 02:13 am »
Looks conceptually not too different from the newer plans.

Offline archipeppe68

• Italy
« Reply #2 on: 06/28/2012 10:27 am »
Looks conceptually not too different from the newer plans.

Yes, Zarya it could be easily regarded as sort of DragonRider forerunner....

Offline truth is life

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #3 on: 06/28/2012 03:05 pm »
I have a few questions about the design...

1: Do the masses cited for the CM and SM include payload, cosmonauts, fuel, etc., or are they just dry masses? Or somewhere in between?

2: The ejection seats--they are intended for the landing phase, yes? (I can't see much purpose to them during launch, given that the vehicle is enclosed in a fairing and has an escape tower)

3: Would additional cosmonaut seating be placed in the area filled with payload in your diagrams? If so, then they would have no way of escaping in an emergency, correct? That makes the ejection seats seem a bit...limited.

EDIT: Would add that I would be interested in what sources you used for this, especially if they were available in English.
« Last Edit: 06/28/2012 03:06 pm by truth is life »

Offline archipeppe68

• Italy
« Reply #4 on: 06/28/2012 03:14 pm »
Thanks for your question, as follows my replies:

1) The mass for CM and SM is intended as total mass (all inclusive)

2) Unlike Gemini the Zarya's Zevzda K36 ejection seats (the same as Buran) was intended only in case of retro-rockets system failure, during the landing phase. Emergency for launch phase was covered by the escape tower (like the actual Soyuz for instance)

3) The addtional cosmonauts were placed (with their Kazbek seats) within the payload area, of course no way to escape in case of failure during the landing. Probably with this particular arrangement no ejection seats would be on place (like all the Shuttle flights after the first Columbia test missions).

My sources are (obviuosly) mainly Russians, articles on buran.ru and threads opened on novosti.kosmonavtiki.ru
As far I know the only English references as follows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zarya_(spacecraft)
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/zarya.htm

I have a few questions about the design...

1: Do the masses cited for the CM and SM include payload, cosmonauts, fuel, etc., or are they just dry masses? Or somewhere in between?

2: The ejection seats--they are intended for the landing phase, yes? (I can't see much purpose to them during launch, given that the vehicle is enclosed in a fairing and has an escape tower)

3: Would additional cosmonaut seating be placed in the area filled with payload in your diagrams? If so, then they would have no way of escaping in an emergency, correct? That makes the ejection seats seem a bit...limited.

EDIT: Would add that I would be interested in what sources you used for this, especially if they were available in English.
« Last Edit: 06/28/2012 03:15 pm by archipeppe68 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography