Author Topic: Infrared Imagery of Solid Rocket Exhaust Plumes  (Read 8986 times)

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
Infrared Imagery of Solid Rocket Exhaust Plumes
« on: 03/10/2012 12:51 pm »
VERY cool pics...

The Ares I Scale Model Acoustic Test program consisted of a series of 18 solid rocket motor static firings, simulating the liftoff conditions of the Ares I five-segment Reusable Solid Rocket Motor Vehicle. Primary test objectives included acquiring acoustic and pressure data which will be used to validate analytical models for the prediction of Ares 1 liftoff acoustics and ignition overpressure environments. The test article consisted of a 5% scale Ares I vehicle and launch tower mounted on the Mobile Launch Pad. The testing also incorporated several Water Sound Suppression Systems. Infrared imagery was employed during the solid rocket testing to support the validation or improvement of analytical models, and identify corollaries between rocket plume size or shape and the accompanying measured level of noise suppression obtained by water sound suppression systems.

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1602
  • Likes Given: 50
Re: Infrared Imagery of Solid Rocket Exhaust Plumes
« Reply #1 on: 03/10/2012 02:57 pm »
Just for fun I animated the twenty ASMAT 7 false color image frames from this paper/presentation.
Click to run animation.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
Re: Infrared Imagery of Solid Rocket Exhaust Plumes
« Reply #2 on: 04/16/2012 07:34 pm »
Thankyou that animated gif is awesome. I never knew you could see mach diamonds in solid rocket exhaust. I always thought flow was to "dirty" and "smokey"... very cool.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography