Author Topic: Shuttle Tile identification  (Read 143968 times)

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
Re: Shuttle Tile identification
« Reply #100 on: 11/03/2014 01:10 am »
I have searched and searched for the individual shuttle tile locator maps that AnalogMan has so kindly helped others locate their tiles.  Our department has 3 tiles that we would like to located exactly.  None are flown items.  Sure would appreciate any help and would be glad to pay a fee for the service of a PDF of them.  Wouldn't have to bother anyone if the maps were online......

VO70-195002        VO7O - 191001        VO7O - 395907
-203  009224         -120    009553        - 263   B62497

We would appreciate any help.  Thanks!!
I only had time to look up one of them. This is for VO70 195002-203. I'll try to take a look for the other two tomorrow.
This comes from one of the TPS assesments from the L2 side of the site which Chris was good enough to let me show on the public side. Your tile is the one I colored green (in the red line of tiles).

Offline WhiteHat

• NW MS
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #101 on: 11/03/2014 01:15 am »
THANK YOU!! rayleighscatter  We knew it was somewhere along the upper leading edge but nothing more specific.  I really, really appreciate you!!  Thanks a ton!!

Offline WhiteHat

• NW MS
« Reply #102 on: 11/03/2014 01:20 am »
Question:  would a higher res version be available of these?  We are making a permanent display and would like to have an 11 x 14 good quality print of the map sections.
Thank you!!

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
« Reply #103 on: 11/03/2014 01:36 am »
Question:  would a higher res version be available of these?  We are making a permanent display and would like to have an 11 x 14 good quality print of the map sections.
Thank you!!
There isn't a single large tile map, much to the consternation of many. If you dig through various reports you can find pieces of maps, such as the one I posted (I didn't trim the image I posted, that was all that was in that image). It was embedded as some sort of cad or vector image so it can infinitely size up larger or smaller if you have some sort of tech boffin who knows how to do it. As for using information from the L2 side of the site for public use, you would need to get in contact with the site's owner about that.

Offline WhiteHat

• NW MS
« Reply #104 on: 11/03/2014 01:53 am »
Okay, thank you again.  I'm looking forward to the other 2 tile locations when you get a chance tomorrow and we are indebted to you for the help.  I will keep on digging - figured out the "L2" part of this and the cost thereof.  Will have to do it appears.  Again, thank you for your help.  Have a good rest of the everning!!

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1601
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #105 on: 11/03/2014 11:11 am »
I have searched and searched for the individual shuttle tile locator maps that AnalogMan has so kindly helped others locate their tiles.  Our department has 3 tiles that we would like to located exactly.  None are flown items.  Sure would appreciate any help and would be glad to pay a fee for the service of a PDF of them.  Wouldn't have to bother anyone if the maps were online......

VO70-195002        VO7O - 191001        VO7O - 395907
-203  009224         -120    009553        - 263   B62497

We would appreciate any help.  Thanks!!

I did a quick search and found references to all three of your tiles - that number of hits doesn't happen often!  Rayleighscatter found the same info I did on the one tile.  Will try and post graphics on the others soon.

Offline WhiteHat

• NW MS
« Reply #106 on: 11/03/2014 01:26 pm »
Thank you very much!!  We really appreciate the help from you both!  I would really like some info on how to get to the detailed CAD location maps on the L2 side.  We will join that this week to pursue it if that's the best way.  I do realize we will need permission to include them in a permanent display in a new building on the college campus.
Again, thank you so very much for your help!!

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #107 on: 11/03/2014 01:48 pm »
For specific tile requests, I wouldn't want anyone to join L2 just for that. L2 is supposed to be a facility where people who enjoy this site can support its crazy server costs by donating via a structured subscription service and in return gain access to our L2 areas.

So hold fire on that.

To L2 members who are already in L2. This is part the goldmine of TPS stuff:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=tags;tagid=1499
« Last Edit: 11/03/2014 01:49 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline WhiteHat

• NW MS
« Reply #108 on: 11/03/2014 01:54 pm »
I see what you mean.  That list is tons of very interesting items that I would love to spend some time investigating.  I will see if we can add that in to the budget as a misc. item this January.
Thank you for your help! 

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #109 on: 11/03/2014 02:05 pm »
Thank you very much!!  We really appreciate the help from you both!  I would really like some info on how to get to the detailed CAD location maps on the L2 side.  We will join that this week to pursue it if that's the best way.  I do realize we will need permission to include them in a permanent display in a new building on the college campus.
Again, thank you so very much for your help!!

I should warn you that there are no specific collections of tile maps in L2.  What there are are loads of NASA presentations generated during Shuttle missions starting from first planning to final conclusions.  For each mission there might be as many as 50 - 90 official documents, only some of which contain fragments or partial views of tile maps, and fewer that are in highly zoomable vector graphics format.  As Chris has noted, use of the "TPS" tag in L2 will pull up lots of threads with relevant documents (but will still miss those with useful information that are not primarily aimed at thermal protection issues).

There is no automated way to search these documents within the L2 forum.  You have to download them first and then apply any tile ID searching to files (or collections of files) locally.  Only the vector graphics type tile maps contain text that can be automatically searched.  Bit-mapped images need eyeballs, and this is usually impractical unless you already know the likely tile location and also where to find an appropriate tile map.

If you are only looking for a couple of tile locations then it is probably better to post your requests here in the first instance to see if someone can help you out.

Still trying to sort some graphics for your tiles.

Offline WhiteHat

• NW MS
« Reply #110 on: 11/03/2014 02:37 pm »
I understand - thank you.  I will keep up looking and asking here and I am really looking forward to any info you could pass along on our tiles.  I still want to put in for the L2 side since it would be beyond interesting to me.   We have acquired some other items including one of the frangible SRB hold down nuts.  There seems to be a good bit of information available on them - maybe since only 8 of those were used per launch.
Again, thank you for your help.

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #111 on: 11/03/2014 08:56 pm »
Tile V070-191001-120

Here are a couple of maps showing the tile highlighted in red. Its on the underside of the orbiter on left-hand side, just forward of the start of the RCC panels on the wing leading edge, and in-line with the left-hand main landing gear door.

I've added a couple of annotations to the general view bit-mapped images (click to enlarge, but resolution is limited).  I did not add these to the pdf's in order to keep the view as clean as possible - you can zoom in, copy and print views of to your hearts content.

If you don't have a large format printer available Adobe Reader gives you the option to make larger posters (document page or selected snapshot graphics views) by printing over several smaller pages which you then stick together.

Offline WhiteHat

• NW MS
« Reply #112 on: 11/03/2014 09:12 pm »
Got the images - thank you again for your time.  This one I could find on the shuttle model I have 1/32 scale.  The third one is different shaped in that it is wedge with a large circular hole of about 27 mm diameter in the center.
Thank you!!

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #113 on: 11/03/2014 09:23 pm »
Got the images - thank you again for your time.  This one I could find on the shuttle model I have 1/32 scale.  The third one is different shaped in that it is wedge with a large circular hole of about 27 mm diameter in the center.
Thank you!!

V070-395907-263 is an interesting tile, it is located around one of the main engines (SSME).  Will try and get a clean graphic which shows this.

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #114 on: 11/04/2014 08:01 pm »
Thank you!!

V070-395907-263 is an interesting tile, it is located around one of the main engines (SSME).  Will try and get a clean graphic which shows this.

Tile V070-395907-263

Located on the Dome Mounted Heat Shield (DMHS) around SSME #2 on the left-hand side of the engine, slightly above the centerline.  Tiles (four rows) on this heat shield are mounted on split circular carrier panels which are fixed around the SSME after it has been installed.  The outer edge of the carrier bolts to the orbiter base shield area, and the inner edge supports a woven thermal blanket that seals the gap to a dome shield fixed to the SSME.  It acts as a sort of ball and socket arrangement to allow the SSME to gimbal.

A couple of photos and a tile map showing the location (and a pdf to allow high resolution views of the map).  Tile map view is from the left-hand side of the orbiter showing the body flap/SSME tiles.
« Last Edit: 11/04/2014 09:54 pm by AnalogMan »

Offline WhiteHat

• NW MS
« Reply #115 on: 11/05/2014 03:53 am »
We thank you so much for all your help on locating our tiles and we really appreciate your time helping us.  Sure is great being able to hold a part of a wonderful history of the space program and the more we all know of it, the better for everyone.  Again, thank you!!  Like most involved with it, you all went above and beyond.

Offline warddw

• Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #116 on: 11/06/2014 04:36 pm »
Still looking for location info on these three - received by a school...

Thin White tile - V070-391143-204 JG0877  - SCRAP in red
Thick White tile 64642     10574
Thick Black tile VT70-191037-027   MN0101346

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
« Reply #117 on: 11/07/2014 12:28 am »
Your first tile seems to be somewhere near (probably above) one of the two portside flight windows. I found many tiles in that area with nearly the same number but they weren't complete tile maps.

Could you double check the second tile number? It doesn't seem to be a valid number, you can see the basic numbering they used here: http://artifacts.nasa.gov/tile_serial_numbers.htm

I did find your third tile though. It's located on the port side (left) wing landing gear door. I colored it green on this. If you find a picture of the underbelly with a high resolution (think greater than 3000x3000) you can probably specifically locate this tile by comparing it to the map.

Offline WhiteHat

• NW MS
« Reply #118 on: 12/02/2014 08:02 pm »
I have one more Shuttle Tile we'd like to specifically locate on an available tile map if someone could for us.  It's  395051 - 138.   Triangular shaped.  From the diagrams I've seen it appears to be on the Body Flap.  Sure would appreciate any help.

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #119 on: 12/02/2014 08:46 pm »
I have one more Shuttle Tile we'd like to specifically locate on an available tile map if someone could for us.  It's  395051 - 138.   Triangular shaped.  From the diagrams I've seen it appears to be on the Body Flap.  Sure would appreciate any help.

Nope!

Its adjacent to an External Tank umbilical door (left-hand side) on the inboard edge.  I'll try and post a decent tile map in due course (might take me a couple of days to sort).

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography