Author Topic: Using tanker ICTs as a "booster" stage for cargo/human ICT  (Read 1636 times)

Offline ZachF

• NH, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 104
So I was thinking, what if you could mount 3 ICTs together, with 2 being tanker stages, you could use it as a staging system to get farther out into the solar system.

ICT with two tankers departs earth, burns, cross-feeds remaining fuel into main ICT.

Tanker ICTs land on mars and re-fuel via ISRU, launch back up and meet returning ICT.

many possibilities.

Hooked together like this:

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 3987
  • Likes Given: 5503
So, its not big enough for you yet?
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 10991
  • Likes Given: 327
So I was thinking, what if you could mount 3 ICTs together, with 2 being tanker stages, you could use it as a staging system to get farther out into the solar system.

ICT with two tankers departs earth, burns, cross-feeds remaining fuel into main ICT.

Tanker ICTs land on mars and re-fuel via ISRU, launch back up and meet returning ICT.

many possibilities.

No, there is no need.  Just launch more vehicles with fuel on the basic vehicles. 
« Last Edit: 09/29/2016 06:38 PM by Jim »

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 395
  • Likes Given: 11

many possibilities.

Where the heck would you launch it from?

This thing is going to be a vibration monster as it is with 42 Raptors running simultaneously.  126 of them, I don't EVEN want to think about it!
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline ZachF

• NH, USA, Earth

many possibilities.

Where the heck would you launch it from?

This thing is going to be a vibration monster as it is with 42 Raptors running simultaneously.  126 of them, I don't EVEN want to think about it!

The drawing is a bit confusing, but I don't mean strapping three boosters together, but two tanker spacecraft with one cargo/person craft up in space

Like this:
http://28oa9i1t08037ue3m1l0i861.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/29343821794_9e05bfd6d7_h.jpg

but with three strapped together.

Offline Ionmars

• North Carolina, USA
  • Liked: 253
  • Likes Given: 514
I also had the idea of launching a cargo or passenger version of (MCT) with two tankers as boosters. OneSpeed ran his models in the L2 section a few months back to see what extra delta-V could be obtained starting from a propellant depot in LEO. I gave him some severe limits as I had the boosters accelerate the trio to TMI and release the vehicle. The boosters then reversed thrust to return immediately to Earth orbit. Reduced trip time from 100 to 75 days. Would be better to let the booster continue around Mars for a so-called free return trajectory.

With new ITS data it would get different numbers. :)

After landing, Mars pioneers will require our continued support.

Offline ZachF

• NH, USA, Earth
I also had the idea of launching a cargo or passenger version of (MCT) with two tankers as boosters. OneSpeed ran his models in the L2 section a few months back to see what extra delta-V could be obtained starting from a propellant depot in LEO. I gave him some severe limits as I had the boosters accelerate the trio to TMI and release the vehicle. The boosters then reversed thrust to return immediately to Earth orbit. Reduced trip time from 100 to 75 days. Would be better to let the booster continue around Mars for a so-called free return trajectory.

With new ITS data it would get different numbers. :)

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I was wondering/talking about.

This would be the type of thing to get an extra delta-v boost out to the Asteroid belt/Jovian moons/etc.
« Last Edit: 09/29/2016 08:17 PM by ZachF »

Offline Ionmars

• North Carolina, USA
  • Liked: 253
  • Likes Given: 514
You might contact one of the modelers to see if they would like to run some scenarios. It won't be now because they are frantically trying to catch up with data from Elon's IAC presentation.
After landing, Mars pioneers will require our continued support.

Offline MikeAtkinson

• Bracknell, England
  • Liked: 530
  • Likes Given: 70
With one tanker acting as a booster you get a bit under an extra 2km/s
With two tankers acting as boosters (3 stage) you get about 3 km/s extra.

Both with a Ship with 300 tonnes payload.
« Last Edit: 09/29/2016 09:24 PM by MikeAtkinson »

Offline Hotblack Desiato

• Austria
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 50
Why do you want crossfeed?

if you really think about reducing the wear and tear on the ITS-crafts engines, hook the ITS in between 2 or 3 tankers and ignite. You don't have any thrust to weight concerns, you just need the vacuum-engines running. 1 engine for 3 minutes is equal to 3 engines for one minute. it doesn't matter how long the engines are running. given, the oberth effect works best with shorter pulses in the periapsis, but that amount of time shouldn't matter and it's not worth the extra problems of having crossfeed. besides, maybe the heat shield of the tankers would be damaged too much if they have to reenter earths atmosphere at 10km/s instead of 8 km/s.

Tags: