Author Topic: Where will BFR launch from?  (Read 103060 times)

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 459
  • Likes Given: 228
Where will BFR launch from?
« on: 12/28/2015 09:36 PM »
BFR as currently understood is too big to launch from 39a. It's also so big it should be assembled near the launch site even if the raptor engines are built elsewhere. Perhaps it should be transportable by water to alternate launch sites.

The factory can't be built until the launch site is decided. The intent of SpaceX is to be able to launch BFR in the early 2020's. So where will the BFR launch site be constructed?

Offline chalz

• Austrangia
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 1225
Re: Where will BFR launch from?
« Reply #1 on: 12/28/2015 09:41 PM »
Puerto Rico.

Can we make this thread last until the early 2020's?

Online QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3489
  • Likes Given: 822
« Reply #2 on: 12/28/2015 09:44 PM »
Brownsville, Texas.
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? Well... have you heard of Zeno's paradox?

Offline science_business

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: 12/28/2015 09:44 PM »
offshore platform

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 3987
  • Likes Given: 5503
« Reply #4 on: 12/28/2015 09:46 PM »
One of the reasons given when SpaceX was negotiating for LC-39A was to have a pad for their BFR.  (That was a whole year and a half ago, so things might have changed.). Certainly the three core monster was not flying out of there, but a smaller version certainly could.  Accident analyses will need to compare the hazard of the proposed design with SLS (and STS) -- wouldn't count the BFR out just yet.

Note: There will likely be multiple pads for the BFR.  Above mentioned location(s) may all be correct.
« Last Edit: 12/28/2015 09:49 PM by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #5 on: 12/28/2015 09:56 PM »
If BFR is reusable with landings, could a remote inland launch site be used? Like, say, Dugway, UT?
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5462
  • Likes Given: 579
« Reply #6 on: 12/28/2015 10:03 PM »
Building site, new factory located at former location of the Sea Launch Home port. Water transport to Vandenberg AFB where it will launch from SLC-6 once Delta IV heavy is retired.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 3987
  • Likes Given: 5503
« Reply #7 on: 12/28/2015 10:05 PM »
If BFR is reusable with landings, could a remote inland launch site be used? Like, say, Dugway, UT?

I would expect that a few hundred successful RTLS flights might make inland launches feasible.  The rest of the usual debris trails (such as fairings, etc.) would also have to be cleaned up... but BFR has a chance to do this.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline Mongo62

• Liked: 588
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #8 on: 12/28/2015 10:06 PM »
Boca Chica offshore platform.

It's too big for 39A, so that location is out. And I expect that SpaceX will want it well offshore of Boca Chica as well, to reduce noise impact and for a safety buffer zone. I believe that the Gulf there is fairly shallow to a considerable distance offshore, so constructing an above-water bridge/causeway and platform should not be TOO expensive.
« Last Edit: 12/28/2015 10:07 PM by Mongo62 »

Offline joek

• Liked: 678
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #9 on: 12/28/2015 10:24 PM »

Unlikely.  Kistler was going to launch/land from an area in the Nevada Test Site, which with Nellis covers a lot more area and airspace than Dugway.  The ascent and descent trajectories were constrained (not to mention it was a relatively small vehicle).  You can find the primary FAA Kistler EIA documents here and here.
« Last Edit: 12/28/2015 10:27 PM by joek »

Offline enzo

• USA
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 694
« Reply #10 on: 12/29/2015 12:23 AM »
so constructing an above-water bridge/causeway and platform should not be TOO expensive.
Why not throw in a relatively cheap volcano-based launch facility as well? Excellent sound suppression.

Offline science_business

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #11 on: 12/29/2015 01:02 AM »
It has been reported that spacex contracted with a large oceanography/civil engineering firm to do unspecified research. This leads me to suspect the offshore option. Plus room is needed for future expansion beyond BFR.

The easiest way to colonize mars successfully is to transport insanely large payloads way beyond terrestrial scale.
In effect you are transporting an entire city from earth to mars. The Europeans could not do that with north america, but surprisingly we could do this with Mars if we only had the will. I think Musk has the will.

Offline M_Puckett

• Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #12 on: 12/29/2015 01:25 AM »
so constructing an above-water bridge/causeway and platform should not be TOO expensive.
Why not throw in a relatively cheap volcano-based launch facility as well? Excellent sound suppression.

Offline JamesG123

• USA
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #13 on: 12/29/2015 02:07 AM »

I don't think even Elon Musk could get the FAA and NASA to sign off on THAT launch license.

I would guess Tejas.

Offline Jdeshetler

• Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 1968
  • Likes Given: 1439
« Reply #14 on: 12/29/2015 03:49 AM »
Nomadd's frontyard...

Offline jfallen

• Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #15 on: 12/29/2015 03:59 AM »
I like the volcano option.  Sound suppression plus super-billionaire cred, no down sides.  Plus if you have a submarine car a volcano lair is the next logical step.

Offline mnelson

• Salt Lake City, Utah
  • Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 156
« Reply #16 on: 12/29/2015 04:27 AM »
It's too big for 39A, so that location is out.

Pardon my ignorance, what makes it too big for 39A? Is it a range safety concern with that much fuel/oxidizer in one spot? Insufficient flame trench? Too big for the transporter/erector? Blockhouse not far enough away?

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 337
  • Likes Given: 549
« Reply #17 on: 12/29/2015 05:32 AM »
Building site, new factory located at former location of the Sea Launch Home port. Water transport to Vandenberg AFB where it will launch from SLC-6 once Delta IV heavy is retired.

Or you could build the factory at ex-NAS Alameda in San Francisco and embark the BFR onto RoRo transport ships to floating launch facilities off Hawaii's big island.

If the BFR is too big for LC-39A than SLC-6 is probably to small as well. Especially if the BFR core is 15+ meter diameter.

Offline Mongo62

• Liked: 588
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #18 on: 12/29/2015 12:22 PM »
It's too big for 39A, so that location is out.

Pardon my ignorance, what makes it too big for 39A? Is it a range safety concern with that much fuel/oxidizer in one spot? Insufficient flame trench? Too big for the transporter/erector? Blockhouse not far enough away?

Pad 39A was built to handle a maximum thrust of 12.5 Mlb at takeoff (Saturn V was 7.65 Mlb at takeoff, Nova-class launcher would have been around 12 Mlb), while BFR is said to be around 15 Mlb thrust -- double that of a Saturn V.

Online Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 613
  • Likes Given: 6031
« Reply #19 on: 12/29/2015 01:21 PM »
It has been reported that spacex contracted with a large oceanography/civil engineering firm to do unspecified research. This leads me to suspect the offshore option. Plus room is needed for future expansion beyond BFR.

The easiest way to colonize mars successfully is to transport insanely large payloads way beyond terrestrial scale.
In effect you are transporting an entire city from earth to mars. The Europeans could not do that with north america, but surprisingly we could do this with Mars if we only had the will. I think Musk has the will.

Reported how?  Do you have a source?
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Tags: