Author Topic: Viking on Mars 40 years ago  (Read 12621 times)

Offline Aragatz

• France
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 0
Viking on Mars 40 years ago
« on: 07/06/2016 09:55 am »
Hello ! Please, I want to know what is expected on the 40th anniversary of the arrival of the Viking Lander on Mars.  Thank you very much !
(Excuse me if I posted in the wrong section, move it if it is a problem)

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18197
  • Likes Given: 12158

Offline Aragatz

• France
Re: Viking on Mars 40 years ago
« Reply #2 on: 07/06/2016 01:27 pm »
Thank you very much !!!!! ;)

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8781
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #3 on: 07/07/2016 11:09 pm »
streaming information.....

July 07, 2016
MEDIA ADVISORY M16-079
NASA to Host Media Events Marking Anniversary of First Mars Landing

NASA’s Viking Lander 1 successfully reached the Martian surface at 8:12 a.m. July 20, 1976.

Credits: NASA

NASA is celebrating the first successful landing on Mars by a U.S. spacecraft – Viking 1 -- with a history discussion from 2 to 3:30 p.m. EDT Tuesday, July 19, and a Viking 40th anniversary symposium 8 a.m. to 5:10 p.m. Wednesday, July 20 at NASA’s Langley Research Center in Hampton, Virginia.

Portions of these events that highlight the initial steps on the Journey to Mars will air live on NASA Television and stream on the agency’s website.

Media interested in attending the talk and/or all or parts of the symposium should contact Sasha Ellis at [email protected] or 757-272-9859 no later than noon July 19.

The July 19 history talk will include a panel of NASA historians and Roger Launius of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, who will speak about the history of NASA’s Viking missions.

The symposium on July 20, called From NASA’s First Soft Landing to Humans on Mars, will include a lineup of about 20 speakers, including former Viking program scientists and engineers, The Martian author Andy Weir, NASA’s Associate Administrator for Space Technology Steve Jurczyk, and other key members contributing to past, present and future Mars missions.

Both events will stream live at:

http://livestream.com/viewnow/viking40

The following events will air live on NASA TV:

Tuesday, July 19
2 to 3:30 p.m. -- Viking Program History Panel

Wednesday, July 20
8:15 to 8:45 a.m. -- The Exploration of Mars, with NASA Chief Scientist Ellen Stofan
2:50 to 3:35 p.m. -- Imagining Living on Mars, with Andy Weir
3:35 to 5:05 p.m. -- The Future of Mars Exploration

NASA’s Viking Lander 1 successfully reached the Martian surface at 8:12 a.m. July 20, 1976. The Viking 1 and 2 missions collected an abundance of high-resolution imagery of Mars, characterized the structure and composition of the planet’s surface, and analyzed the Martian soil for signs of life, blazing a trail that will one day send humans on our journey to Mars.

Watch NASA TV streaming video, and get schedule and downlink information, at:

http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv

For more information about the Viking anniversary events, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/langley/viking-at-40-events

For more information about NASA’s Journey to Mars, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/journeytomars

-end-
« Last Edit: 07/07/2016 11:10 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Aragatz

• France
« Reply #4 on: 07/08/2016 07:51 am »
OK, thank you again !!!

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7822
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: 07/08/2016 04:44 pm »

Offline AegeanBlue

• Raleigh
  • Liked: 263
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #6 on: 07/20/2016 04:52 pm »
Why is this thread in this section, and not space science or historical spaceflight? In any case there have been quite a few articles in the popular press.

Online catdlr

« Reply #7 on: 07/27/2016 10:01 am »
Viking 40th Anniversary

NASA
Published on Jul 19, 2016

July 20, 1976, 7 years to the day after the Apollo 11 moon landing, the first successful landing on Mars by NASA's Viking spacecraft took place. The ambitious Viking missions continue to evoke pride and enthusiasm for future space exploration.

NASA's Viking 1 and 2 missions to Mars, each consisting of an orbiter and a lander, became the first space probes to obtain high resolution images of the Martian surface; characterize the structure and composition of the atmosphere and surface; and conduct on-the-spot biological tests for life on another planet.

Viking provided the first measurements of the atmosphere and surface of Mars. These measurements are still being analyzed and interpreted. The data suggested early Mars was very different from the present day planet. Viking performed the first successful entry, descent and landing on Mars. Derivations of a Viking-style thermal protection system and parachute have been used on many U.S. Mars lander missions since.

For more information:
http://www.nasa.gov/viking

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Aragatz

• France
« Reply #8 on: 07/27/2016 10:52 am »
Does it continue a little bit with Viking 2's landing (Septembre 3rd 1976) ?

Online catdlr

« Reply #9 on: 04/27/2023 11:22 pm »
bump for video;

Viking 1 Launch - AI Upscale, Multiple Camera Angles, Mars Lander, Orbiter, Viking Program, 1975

Apr 27, 2023
Multiple camera views of Viking 1 launch on August 20, 1975. Side-by-side views are shown first, with individual camera sequences at the end of the video.

The original launch footage was silent - ambient sounds were added.

AI upscale (Topaz AI) was used to resample the film to full HD resolution. While it works in most cases, some artifacts are present in some sequences.

Sound and image cleanup,  conversion to original 24 fps frame rate, geometry correction and AI upscale and color restoration by RetroSpace HD.

« Last Edit: 04/27/2023 11:22 pm by catdlr »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography