Author Topic: Movie: Gravity - Contains some small/potential spoilers  (Read 245545 times)

Offline Robert Thompson

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 658
Re: Movie: Gravity
« Reply #20 on: 07/14/2013 10:16 am »
Love (2011) by Angels and Airwaves inoculates against sacrilegious representations of the ISS.

Offline ApolloStarbuck

• NC
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #21 on: 07/14/2013 04:33 pm »
Let's see...
A shuttle and ISS blasted into billions of fragments...

So much  for humanity going into space for the next thousand years with that debris cloud floating around...

The good news is that at least Sandra Bullock has a good chance of permanently drifting off into oblivion
:)
...weren't we supposed to be on Mars by now?

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1062
« Reply #22 on: 07/14/2013 04:42 pm »
Let's see...
A shuttle and ISS blasted into billions of fragments...

So much  for humanity going into space for the next thousand years with that debris cloud floating around...

The good news is that at least Sandra Bullock has a good chance of permanently drifting off into oblivion

I dont think it would be that huge of a problem, actually. First of all, these things are in LEO and would thus reenter after a few years on their own. Second, luckily space is really big.

Offline kfsorensen

• aerospace and nuclear engineer
  • Huntsville, AL
    • Flibe Energy
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: 07/15/2013 12:05 am »
I dont think it would be that huge of a problem, actually. First of all, these things are in LEO and would thus reenter after a few years on their own. Second, luckily space is really big.

Correct, at ISS altitude drag is rather high, and an impact would increase the ballistic coefficient of most of these pieces considerably.  They wouldn't last more than a year or two.

Higher-altitude fragmentations are far greater concerns.  Above about 1000km and it's going to last forever.

Offline Overflow

• Space Shuttle Aficonado
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: 07/15/2013 12:17 am »
Having Sandra Bullock as a main character already makes this movie have a sour taste in my mouth.

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1062
« Reply #25 on: 07/15/2013 01:13 am »

Higher-altitude fragmentations are far greater concerns.  Above about 1000km and it's going to last forever.
True, but space is even bigger at these altitudes. I mean the main reason why we havent seen more problems until now is not due to a lack of junk flying arround aimlessly up there. It is because space is big and all the junk can fill it. That said, we should really figure out a way to deal with this mess some time soon. Personally, I am more worried about the small parts, just a couple of cm in diameter, paint chips, remains of explosive bolts, etc. Stuff that you cant see easily and thus not avoid with a course correction. That stuff can still cause major havock to a spacecraft.

Offline ClaytonBirchenough

• ~ 1 AU
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 348
« Reply #26 on: 07/15/2013 01:20 am »
Wow... watched the trailer. Would like to see how they make it out of that one!  ::)
Clayton Birchenough

Offline fregate

• Space Association of Australia
  • Melbourne Australia
  • Liked: 144
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #27 on: 07/15/2013 01:30 am »
Regardless how technically inaccurate movie might be, the good thing is that somebody produced a movie about space - so, apparently there is a demand!  8)
« Last Edit: 07/15/2013 01:31 am by fregate »
"Selene, the Moon. Selenginsk, an old town in Siberia: moon-rocket  town" Vladimir Nabokov

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
« Reply #28 on: 07/15/2013 02:45 am »
Regardless how technically inaccurate movie might be, the good thing is that somebody produced a movie about space - so, apparently there is a demand!  8)

You should be looking forward to this one as well then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_(film)
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807
« Reply #29 on: 07/15/2013 03:10 am »

You should be looking forward to this one as well then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_(film)

You probably noticed that the software here drops an ending right paren from URLs (and Wiki doesn't cope well when that happens) -- here's how to get around that:

Interstellar

(click on Reply With Quote to see how it works)

« Last Edit: 07/15/2013 03:14 am by kch »

Offline TyMoore

• Veteran
  • Eureka, CA, USA
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #30 on: 07/18/2013 12:55 am »
Looks very interesting. A cinematic definition of the word "screwed." As in you are!

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #31 on: 07/24/2013 06:56 am »
A short complete scene from the film was just released, showing the destruction of the Shuttle "Explorer":

Some rather glaring technical inaccuracies, to say the least. And a MMU that flies like a James Bond jetpack... :D But I'll certainly see it.

Offline Skylon

• Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #32 on: 07/24/2013 01:41 pm »
Okay, a couple things.

1) Not sure if it is just due to the film being incomplete, but there is a remarkable lack of sound. The soundtrack was so cranked up I didn't realize the lack of sound in space (if there was it was extremely muted). There was no audio cue that the shuttle had been hit.

2) Evidently there is a three-person EVA going on for some reason.

3) Science - Clooney is telling Bullock's character to detach from the RMS remains because it will carry her too far. That makes...no sense. Won't she just move (or at least spin around) faster when detached from the larger object?

Though detaching from the RMS would probably make retrieving her easier since he would no longer need to worry about the RMS remains smashing into him though.

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #33 on: 07/24/2013 03:16 pm »
Not sure if it is just due to the film being incomplete, but there is a remarkable lack of sound.

Director Alfonso Cuaron told the audience at Comic-Con, where this clip first debuted, that the lack of sound was on purpose.

"In the [earlier released] trailer, they put explosions to make things exciting. In the film, there is no sound in space."

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #34 on: 07/24/2013 03:42 pm »
This just gets better and better.

Sure makes Luca's issue seem minor! ;D
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Borklund

• Sweden
  • Liked: 397
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #35 on: 07/24/2013 04:34 pm »
Sure makes Luca's issue seem minor! ;D
:D Nary an inconvenience when compared to things breaking apart all around you and being flung into space untethered.

I think this looks pretty darn good, plus I really like the lack of sound. Can't wait!

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #36 on: 07/24/2013 04:39 pm »
So let me guess, the satellite that fragmented and took everyone out, the lithium batteries blew it apart. Just a really slow collision... Now if they had a realistic collision at realistic speeds...

I love the call out of what type of satellite they think it "was". 
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 992
  • Likes Given: 668
« Reply #37 on: 07/24/2013 05:03 pm »
So let me guess, the satellite that fragmented and took everyone out, the lithium batteries blew it apart.

...and some hapless technician installed Soyuz parachute deployment sensor upside down?
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #38 on: 07/24/2013 05:15 pm »
The bit I remember from the earlier trailer was one of the characters desperately clinging onto the top of a Soyuz craft as it plunged towards Earth.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #39 on: 07/24/2013 05:34 pm »
Why is it that all space movies insist on destroying all spacecraft featured in the film? :D

And I find it funny how the astronaut on the end of the SRMS releases a waist tether in order to detatch from the APFR! But I suspect that the general public won't be as critical of things like that. ;)

Otherwise looks very detailed, will watch it when it comes out.
« Last Edit: 07/24/2013 05:35 pm by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography