Author Topic: LIVE: Shenzhou 9 (SZ-9), Long March 2F/G (CZ-2F/G) - Jiuquan - June 16, 2012  (Read 695885 times)

Offline Liss

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Shenzhou 9
« Reply #60 on: 02/18/2012 06:32 pm »
Also shots of a possible SZ-9 crew in the descent module simulator. This is new footage and not archive take from SZ-7. I don't recognise either of the men who are seen quite clearly. The person to the left of the screen could be a man or a woman.
The cosmonaut in the right coach can be Li Qinglong. Here's his 2008 photo (to the left of Zhai Zhigang):
This message reflects my personal opinion based on open sources of information.

Offline vill

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: 02/18/2012 09:53 pm »
According to this article from today, it is planned to launch SZ-10 this year.

China plans to launch two more spacecraft - Shenzhou IX and Shenzhou X - this year to further test the technologies. Previously, officials had only been certain that the Shenzhou X spacecraft would carry astronauts on board, the first Chinese female astronaut likely being among them.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2012-02/18/content_14637950.htm

Not sure if the information is correct. 

Online lucspace

• Hilversum, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #62 on: 02/19/2012 06:25 pm »
The tiny graphics at the bottom of the picture on http://bbs.voc.com.cn/topic-3685609-1-1.html seems to suggest we can expect further spacewalks during the Tiangong era...

Offline tonyq

• Isle of Man
  • Liked: 67
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #63 on: 02/19/2012 06:37 pm »
Yes Igor, I also think that person is Li Qinglong. I have no idea who is on the centre couch though. I suspect it may be someone we have not seen a photograph of previously.

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #64 on: 02/20/2012 06:08 am »
If there are EVAs during missions to the current Tiangong design, then I would expect them to be via the orbital module since there is no sign of an EVA hatch on Tiangong itself.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline tonyq

• Isle of Man
« Reply #65 on: 02/20/2012 07:03 am »
The tiny graphics at the bottom of the picture on http://bbs.voc.com.cn/topic-3685609-1-1.html seems to suggest we can expect further spacewalks during the Tiangong era...

Surely without some provision/capability for EVA in the Tiangong era, the SZ-7 EVA breakthrough would have been a dead end project?

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1968
  • Likes Given: 1156

Online lucspace

• Hilversum, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: SZ-9 Shenzhou 9, CZ-2F/G, Jiuquan, June 2012 launch
« Reply #67 on: 03/02/2012 07:22 am »
So, now NO boarding of Tiangong-1...Another case of garbled info/translation issues, or has the actual flight plan changed?

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #68 on: 03/02/2012 07:40 am »
So, now NO boarding of Tiangong-1...Another case of garbled info/translation issues, or has the actual flight plan changed?

Actually the actual quote means that at least one astronaut will be working/resting inside Shenzhou-9 at all times during the docked period. He didn't specify if he meant the same person always staying in SZ-9 (probably not), or the reason behind the decision (maybe it's simply a lack of capacity in supporting three person living inside TG-1 at all times, or that volume space is limited....).
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline vill

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #69 on: 03/02/2012 08:51 am »
Safety concerns was mentioned too. In case of emergency, one astronaut on board Shenzhou means maybe faster reaction to such situation. For next flight it seems that all crew will transfer to Tiangong.

Offline tonyq

• Isle of Man
« Reply #70 on: 03/02/2012 11:48 am »
Safety concerns was mentioned too. In case of emergency, one astronaut on board Shenzhou means maybe faster reaction to such situation. For next flight it seems that all crew will transfer to Tiangong.

I suspect that this reflects the usual very cautious approach of the Chinese and the desire to distinguish the tasks of the SZ-9 and SZ-10 missions.

It appears SZ-9 will be a carefully managed, cautious, entry to TG-1. Presumably they will isolate the descent module - leave one, (maybe two astronauts initially) in there before opening the access from the orbital module to TG-1. Maybe the crew will wear spacesuits or some other form of life-support when they initially leave SZ.

Leaving someone in SZ may be a safety measure, or it may simply be a logistical one, connected with capacity or consumables. Whilst the person on SZ-9 maybe rotated, I'd speculate that it will be the same person, as presumably they will have been trained for whatever unplanned scenarios the Chinese envisage might arise, which, in extreme or catastrophic circumstances could include a solo return to earth.   

If the same person is going to remain in SZ-9 for the duration, this could indicate a relatively short flight.

SZ-10 will probably see a move to a 'shirt sleeve' environment and everyone boarding TG-1 concurrently.

Online Satori

• Global Moderator

Offline tonyq

• Isle of Man
« Reply #72 on: 03/04/2012 09:24 pm »
Shenzhou 9 will fly in space for 13 days

According to this Chinese language report, 3 days in solo flight, and 10 days docked to TG-1
« Last Edit: 03/04/2012 09:24 pm by tonyq »

Offline tonyq

• Isle of Man
« Reply #73 on: 03/06/2012 01:53 pm »
Female Astronaut may fly on  Shenzhou 9

More quotes from Qi Faren today, about SZ-9 plans. I cannot see this reported on any of the English language Chinese websites, so relying on machine translation, this says that it is hoped to fly a female astronaut on SZ-9, although the final decision will depend their on examination results and will be made at the last moment.

Offline Zero-G

• Switzerland
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #74 on: 03/07/2012 12:23 pm »
(...) this says that it is hoped to fly a female astronaut on SZ-9, although the final decision will depend their on examination results and will be made at the last moment.
This seems to be somewhat contradictory: According to Xinhua, the same Qi Faren had said in an interview last week, that the authorities have picked three astronauts for the manned docking already. See http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2012-03/01/c_131440672.htm

If this is the case, wouldn't the authorities already have decided, which one of the females, if any, would fly? Or could his statement from last week mean, that three astronauts had been picked and trained to perform the manual docking, and one each of them is assigned to each of the three crews (main, backup, support crews)?
« Last Edit: 03/07/2012 12:24 pm by Zero-G »
"I still don't understand who I am: the first human or the last dog in space." - Yuri Gagarin

Offline tonyq

• Isle of Man
« Reply #75 on: 03/07/2012 02:12 pm »
Totally agree that these messages are contradictory, and they are apparently coming from the same official!! This report puts Qi's latest comments into English, and the gist is still the same - the actual SZ-9 crew has not been finalised.

Chinese Spacewomen brace for possible lift-off

I'd guess that you are right, that his remarks last week were actually intended to refer to the fact that there are three docking specialsts in the training group (of 9), rather than a specific crew of three. There are many previous examples where Chinese reporters have picked up comments by officials incorrectly.

His latest comments (which are being reported in more depth on Chinese language sites) seem to say that they would prefer to fly a female taikonaut, if they complete all their examinations satisfactorily, over the next few weeks. 

« Last Edit: 03/07/2012 02:46 pm by tonyq »

Online Satori

• Global Moderator

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #77 on: 03/13/2012 06:39 pm »
Tony Quine's latest on the female taikonaut situation:

Another article related to this by Tony Quine:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/03/china-paving-the-way-for-first-female-taikonaut/
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline TALsite

• Spain
  • Liked: 114
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #78 on: 03/14/2012 08:22 am »
A spokesperson for the Chinese Manned Space Exploration office has announced today that Shenzhou 9 and its crew of three will perform a mission that includes a manual docking test and perform experiments on board Tiangong 1. Launch will occur sometime between June and August.

Seen on this web http://www.sinodefence.com/shenzhou/shenzhou9.asp

"The latest speculation suggested that the Shenzhou 9 launched had been delayed until June 2012. This will allow the third Tianlian 1 tracking and data relay satellite (TDRS) to be launched to form a global TDRS network with the two satellites already in orbit".

This webpage was updated on January 1st

China launch schedule

June - CZ-2F/G - JSLC, 921 - SZ-9 Shenzhou-9
July - CZ-3C - XSLC, LC2 - TL-1C Tianlian-1C

Changes on February 24
Changes on February 26
Changes on February 27
Changes on March 3

And Satori on the Chinese Schedule is pointing the Tianlian-1C launch, on July.

Is needed a 3rd Tianlian to support communications for the scheduled longest chinese spaceflight (13 days) ?

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #79 on: 03/14/2012 10:02 am »
Just been playing with the numbers for the Tiangong 1 orbit.

As of Mar 14.03 the orbital period was 91.5117 minutes.   The decay rate in recent days has averaged -0.00482 minutes/day.   Assuming a linear decay rate - which is always dangerous! - this means that the repeating orbit period of 91.22 minutes will be reached in 60-61 days, suggesting a Shenzhou 9 launch in mid-May.

Of course, orbital tweaks or the Chinese otherwise adjusting the decay rate can easily change this estimate by a few weeks, pushing the launch opportunity into June.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography