Author Topic: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2  (Read 169198 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2
« on: 12/23/2017 11:52 am »
As you will all know by now, we've updated the news site:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=44494.0

The forum will be upgraded in 2018, but we'll be remaining on this forum for the interim.

The previous feedback thread covered both sites, so I'm splitting this into a standalone for the forum, the current forum, until we move to upgrade.

---

One thing I've changed just now is the time between likes. The reason for the two minute delay was we saw some people abusing it (you don't want to know how, but basically it was to make themselves look popular ;D) However, I was getting sick of waiting two minutes to like very good posts, so I've reduced the time down to two seconds.

We'll keep an eye on like spamming (yes, there is such a thing!)

----

This thread will be for things we can do with the current forum and we'll take also them forward into the upgrade.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
Re: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2
« Reply #1 on: 12/23/2017 12:38 pm »
I thought I'd chip in with which features on the forum I use the most, as this might be helpful when moving to a new forum.

My most used features:
* The unread topics button
* The new button

« Last Edit: 12/23/2017 12:39 pm by nacnud »

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7331
  • Likes Given: 3744
« Reply #2 on: 12/23/2017 01:02 pm »
One feature I've been hoping for was a Bookmark button which would allow a reader to bookmark a post so they could easily return to it at a later time. I've often spent a great deal of time searching for a post I had read previously. Perhaps limiting the number of active bookmarks would make such a feature possible.

Incidentally thank you for reducing the the wait time between Likes.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #3 on: 12/23/2017 01:13 pm »
To address what Chuck said above, I would keep tabs open on the discussion topic which made Chris's eyes pop at my screenshot... ;D
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
  • Liked: 1869
  • Likes Given: 1262
« Reply #4 on: 12/23/2017 01:20 pm »
+1 to this. We (in my business) have a  Shared Inbox app and this was one of the most requested and since released, one of the most used options. To be able to bookmark= (and unbookmark) a conversation, maybe even down the individual post , and add it to your bookmarks.  Then stick a "Show my my bookmarks" button/link somewhere.

Would be a very useful option.

One feature I've been hoping for was a Bookmark button which would allow a reader to bookmark a post so they could easily return to it at a later time. I've often spent a great deal of time searching for a post I had read previously. Perhaps limiting the number of active bookmarks would make such a feature possible.

Incidentally thank you for reducing the the wait time between Likes.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #5 on: 12/23/2017 02:03 pm »
yaay about likes!
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #6 on: 12/23/2017 02:07 pm »
Is it possible to have a "Donation" link separate from the subscription one for "one time-enter amount"?
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
  • Liked: 1869
  • Likes Given: 1262
« Reply #7 on: 12/23/2017 02:10 pm »
Gotta Say - the new format is really good. The fonts/spacings of the articles making it reading them enjoyable!. No more Tapatalk for me.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #8 on: 12/23/2017 04:35 pm »
Is it possible to have a "Donation" link separate from the subscription one for "one time-enter amount"?

1) Bless you.

2) Everything goes through that paypal link as its keeps everything in one place. So if anyone wanted to send some cash outside of L2, then they can via that paypal link. It's a blank box (to allow for different amounts - one person once sent $19,999! Only to say it was a mistake and meant $19.99....yes, I refunded him ;D) so anything can be sent and they'd just add a "donation" message to me via PM.

And that donation goes into the same account we pay the hosting with so it's all good news for us.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline AndyX

• Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 594
« Reply #9 on: 12/23/2017 06:19 pm »
In forum posts, can tweets automatically display like youtube videos do here by just posting the link?

Saves posting the link, and the copy of the words and the attachment of the photo. Should be doable in SMF?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #10 on: 12/23/2017 07:26 pm »
In forum posts, can tweets automatically display like youtube videos do here by just posting the link?

Saves posting the link, and the copy of the words and the attachment of the photo. Should be doable in SMF?

That would be great if it can be done. Would save a lot of messing around and also remove the need to attach photos to the forum database!

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13846
  • Likes Given: 5915
« Reply #11 on: 12/23/2017 08:18 pm »

That would be great if it can be done. Would save a lot of messing around and also remove the need to attach photos to the forum database!

It would still be good to save any important tweets/photos locally in case they disappear at some point in the future.
« Last Edit: 12/23/2017 08:19 pm by gongora »

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2403
  • Likes Given: 10203
« Reply #12 on: 12/25/2017 07:58 pm »
On the mobile version of the site, Unread Posts, pressing the  > arrow leads to the last post of the thread rather than the last unread post of the thread.  Has this been brought up?

The WAP version seems to correctly go to the last unread post, but I don't prefer the WAP sparseness.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #13 on: 12/27/2017 08:28 pm »
A reminder, this for the current forum. For posts about the new news site, go here:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=44494.0 :)

Moved a couple of posts over.

Offline saliva_sweet

• Liked: 476
  • Likes Given: 1826
« Reply #14 on: 12/28/2017 06:44 pm »
One thing I've changed just now is the time between likes. The reason for the two minute delay was we saw some people abusing it (you don't want to know how, but basically it was to make themselves look popular ;D) However, I was getting sick of waiting two minutes to like very good posts, so I've reduced the time down to two seconds.

Oh yay. I'm so gonna take advantage of this. Like spammers represent /thumbs up emote/.

Offline whatever11235

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #15 on: 12/28/2017 06:56 pm »

2 min hard limit is too much, there are always few consecutive posts you'd wish to like. You could still keep that limit but as an average. E.g. 30 likes per hour, spaced however you'd like in that 60min window.

Offline gin455res

• bristol, uk
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #16 on: 12/29/2017 09:11 am »
I would value a feature that collapsed or hid all posts that didn't contain pictures or video.

Sometimes on a discussion thread there is reference to images back in the thread. I would like to scan back through just the posts with images and videos more quickly, instead of wading backwards through 20 pages.

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
« Reply #17 on: 12/29/2017 02:54 pm »
I wish there was a Timeline feature (may have already been mentioned on this thread?) The one good thing that the dreaded Tapatalk has is that.

As a rule, I read this forum using the Unread filter, and I'm sure that's how mode do it as well. However, if - after I read a thread - I want to go back to it it's a real pain on the website because to refind it I have to drill down through the forum and hope I can remember what sub  (sub) group the thread was in.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7331
  • Likes Given: 3744
« Reply #18 on: 12/29/2017 08:26 pm »
I wish there was a Timeline feature (may have already been mentioned on this thread?) The one good thing that the dreaded Tapatalk has is that.

As a rule, I read this forum using the Unread filter, and I'm sure that's how mode do it as well. However, if - after I read a thread - I want to go back to it it's a real pain on the website because to refind it I have to drill down through the forum and hope I can remember what sub  (sub) group the thread was in.

That's the very reason I asked for a bookmark feature.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline Basto

• Salt Lake City, UT
  • Liked: 145
  • Likes Given: 204
« Reply #19 on: 01/02/2018 04:57 pm »
Still hoping for the ability to like on the mobile forum.

I rarely use the full site.

*also would be great if you could see the likes on mobile.
« Last Edit: 01/02/2018 04:58 pm by Basto »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography