Author Topic: Asteroid Impact Shelters Using Deep Sea Stations  (Read 2855 times)

Online KelvinZero

• Liked: 454
  • Likes Given: 115
Re: Asteroid Impact Shelters Using Deep Sea Stations
« Reply #20 on: 08/07/2017 02:29 AM »
There is an active thread for asteroid deflection, as I am sure certain characters here well know.

I think the OP for this thread here was perhaps a little too specific, making it a non-starter as stated, which lead to other topics being drawn in such as asteroid deflection.

I actually think these submarine bases to explore ocean floor resources are very interesting and could teach us a lot about space colonisation, even if only because decompression times may isolate them by several hours from the rest of civilisation. Travel times around the world may eventually make any other city less than 90 minutes away, yet these bases may still be almost as isolated from us as the moon, relying on each other for fast response.

And there are all sorts of catastrophies that ocean floor colonies may defend us from, even if not the precise one mentioned. I think it still could defend us from many asteroid collisions. Some would raise the atmospheric temperature to something that simply is not survivable for even a handful of minutes. Raising the ocean temperature to unliveable temperatures is probably a lot harder. You are talking a thousand tons for 1km depth compared to 10tons for the entire atmosphere (per square meter)

Mostly, we have a possible economic reason to build them anyway.

Online hop

• Liked: 357
  • Likes Given: 694
« Reply #21 on: 08/07/2017 04:59 AM »
Let's start an assumption that the probability of a undetected/unknown Chicxulub class (10+ km diameter) asteroid impacting a large population center on Earth
10 km diameter object hitting anywhere on the earth would affect large population centers. A rough estimate of the effects 1000 km from such an impact. The parts of the planet not directly affected by the impact would still suffer years of extreme effects after the event.
in the next 100 years is 1 in one quadrillion (1/1x10^12)
Does this sound like the estimate is in ballpark? 
The 2007 report to congress gives the rate of ~10 km impacts as around once per 100 million years. (figure 2 in the PDF)

Knowing where all the large NEOs are might reduce our risk by a factor of a few.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 5119
  • Likes Given: 3417
« Reply #22 on: 08/07/2017 02:22 PM »
I'm not going to cry about being too of topic 
I am. The whole thread is off topic. Locked.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Tags: