Author Topic: Buzz Aldrin’s many faces during Trump’s space speech – video  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 1903
  • Likes Given: 1391
You gotta love Buzz, he doesn't take Incorrect ... easily. Like a bunch of Tex Ritter wild takes ...  ;D

Buzz Aldrin’s many faces during Trump’s space speech – video

Online Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 2501
  • Likes Given: 1478
You gotta love Buzz, he doesn't take Incorrect ... easily. Like a bunch of Tex Ritter wild takes ...  ;D

Hah, that is amazing.  ;D  ;D  As well as his reaction to Pence calling him the "2nd man on the moon".  :D  (see below, click to have it play if you only see a still picture)
« Last Edit: 07/04/2017 06:52 PM by Lars-J »

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1139
  • Likes Given: 2778
I also suffer from "overly expressive face syndrome." The CTO of my company uses me as a canary in a coal mine in technical meetings with vendors.

I have to say most of what he was reacting to seemed pretty innocuous.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1182
  • Likes Given: 165

This is weird. I can see you've added a link when I quote your post, but otherwise it's not showing up at all in Tapatalk, instead there is just a big blank space in the text?
« Last Edit: 07/04/2017 08:10 PM by Star One »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Commonwealth of Virginia
  • Liked: 171
  • Likes Given: 492
This seems to be the full recording, posted to YouTube from the White House...It contains both Pence's introduction and Trump's remarks.

Buzz's behavior seems mostly innocuous...Some of this looked like he needed to "spend a penny" as our British brethren might say!  Or, that he had something caught in his dentures?  (I don't know)

On the other hand, his behavior here seems the complement of his perceived-overtalkativeness/scene stealing elsewhere...

Author Dwayne Day wrote this article for The Space Review after this year's Humans to Mars conference:
Buzz Aldrin will not stop talking.
<snip>

Just a thought...
« Last Edit: 07/04/2017 08:45 PM by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium!

Offline Comga

• Liked: 1191
  • Likes Given: 1004
Buzz is Buzz. Come on...
He's pushing 90, and standing in the center of the crowd with his hands folded for the entire event. (It's over ten minutes in the wh.gov video.). Much of his facial expressions are probably reacting to internal things as much as what is being said. (Much of which was the standard puffery: leadership, progress, benefits, 'beyond the stars', 'defeating ISIS', etc.)  If anyone was expecting him to display a poker face or imitate Pence's beaming they haven't been paying attention.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Online Lars-J

• California
Who said they expected him to display poker face? No, his reaction shows that he was clearly listening and reacting to the word soup.

And yes, Buzz has quite the personality, which has not dimmed with age. He doesn't have much of a filter anymore, and that's fine. (And even refreshing) Does it rub some people the wrong way? Sure, but in this instance it was just a welcome source of levity. :)

Comga, if you thought this thread was intended to mock Buzz, I think you have misinterpreted it.
« Last Edit: 07/04/2017 11:06 PM by Lars-J »

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 2684
  • Likes Given: 654
Honestly the longest I've ever seen Buzz Aldrin not talking.
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? The slowest possible.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 643
  • Likes Given: 1158
I agree with Comga to a large extent. I think Buzz looked alternately bored, puzzled by some of the off-topic remarks during the event and he clearly rolled his eyes with the 'Second Man on the Moon' remark. It's what he does. Buzz is Buzz - he's been there, done that, heard it all and at his relatively great age; probably doesn't give a darn what some people think anymore. I hope I'm more like him in my late 80's than some other people I know in that age group.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 327
  • Likes Given: 615
If I took video of any of you for awhile, I'm sure I could generate a political hit piece that claimed you supported the eating of small children.  All these stories in the media about so-and-so's reactions to something someone Liberal's can't stand said are just propaganda.  If someone want's to know Buzz's opinion about that event, go ask him.  Maybe he hated it, maybe he just wanted lunch.  Who knows.  Maybe we need more objective journalism and less Pravda.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 2684
  • Likes Given: 654
If someone want's to know Buzz's opinion about that event, go ask him.

Or just stand near him for a while, he'll tell you eventually...
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? The slowest possible.

Offline Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 264
  • Likes Given: 35
A couple of weeks ago Dwayne Day published this article:

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/3241/1

Online Lars-J

• California
If I took video of any of you for awhile, I'm sure I could generate a political hit piece that claimed you supported the eating of small children.  All these stories in the media about so-and-so's reactions to something someone Liberal's can't stand said are just propaganda.  If someone want's to know Buzz's opinion about that event, go ask him.  Maybe he hated it, maybe he just wanted lunch.  Who knows.  Maybe we need more objective journalism and less Pravda.

:D Someone's being a bit sensitive. Can't we all just take a break from the usual stuff to see the fun in someone's animated reactions?
« Last Edit: 07/05/2017 06:26 AM by Lars-J »

Tags: