Author Topic: Meet Newest Astronaut Class  (Read 1407 times)

Offline TomH

• CA
  • Liked: 638
  • Likes Given: 193
Meet Newest Astronaut Class
« on: 06/09/2017 02:11 AM »
Their qualifications are simply breathtaking. It just goes to show, so many of the best and brightest still want to go fly in space!

http://www.newsweek.com/nasa-hired-its-first-new-class-astronauts-years-help-get-mars-622695

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 663
  • Likes Given: 1923
Re: Meet Newest Astronaut Class
« Reply #1 on: 06/09/2017 01:23 PM »
Their qualifications are simply breathtaking. It just goes to show, so many of the best and brightest still want to go fly in space!

http://www.newsweek.com/nasa-hired-its-first-new-class-astronauts-years-help-get-mars-622695

What do you mean? Thats just normal education after a university: Bachalor / Master plus some side project. Not to play down their achievements in any way, sure they are smart people, but whats written is not breathtaking. If you work in research or academia, almost everyone has that level of qualifications.

A good education is basic requirement for being an astronaut to be sure, but that doesnt distinguish them from millions others. For instance, if education would be the deciding factor if you can become an astronaut or not, all my colleges, me included, would qualify.

What these men and women make to stand out are additional qualifications that are not listed in the article. I dont know the qualification process well enough, but for sure you have to be sporty, well behaved, quick learning and adaptive to new situations, don't loose focus on boring tasks etc.
Also your emotional personality must be good as well, like not getting angry at any person for any reason. Work well with any person, be a team player essentially. Most of the stuff is independent of educational level. If taking these traits as pre-requirements as well as education, all my colleges, me included, would fail.

Offline Joris

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: 06/09/2017 01:58 PM »
Robb Kulin, 33, from Anchorage, Alaska, is a launch chief engineer at SpaceX. He has a bachelor’s in mechanical engineering from the University of Denver and a master’s in materials science and PhD in engineering from the University of California, San Diego.

This is quite some news.

Will he just be a flight engineer on dragon flights? You'd expect some backups if his role was critical, but he's the only SpaceX employee in this list. But the fact that he's a SpaceX employee obviously is not random.

Is this just some (gentlemens) agreement between NASA and SpaceX?
JIMO would have been the first proper spaceship.

Online Machdiamond

• Quebec
    • Luc Van Bavel Design
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #3 on: 06/09/2017 02:15 PM »
the fact that he's a SpaceX employee obviously is not random.

I am sure it is a coincidence (other than the fact that he is a space nut), otherwise it would be unethical.

Offline ThereIWas3

• Liked: 244
  • Likes Given: 208
« Reply #4 on: 06/09/2017 02:18 PM »
Advanced degrees are an easy filter for people with "stick-to-it" ness.  Doing a PhD in mechanical engineering does not make you necessarily a better mechanical engineer in the same way as working in the field for 5 years does.  But all those psychological tests that the Russians developed are also necessary after you have filtered out the goof-offs.
"If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline TomH

• CA
  • Liked: 638
  • Likes Given: 193
« Reply #5 on: 06/10/2017 12:55 AM »
What do you mean? Thats just normal education after a university: Bachalor / Master plus some side project. Not to play down their achievements in any way, sure they are smart people, but whats written is not breathtaking. If you work in research or academia, almost everyone has that level of qualifications.

A good education is basic requirement for being an astronaut to be sure, but that doesnt distinguish them from millions others. For instance, if education would be the deciding factor if you can become an astronaut or not, all my colleges, me included, would qualify.

What these men and women make to stand out are additional qualifications that are not listed in the article. I dont know the qualification process well enough, but for sure you have to be sporty, well behaved, quick learning and adaptive to new situations, don't loose focus on boring tasks etc.
Also your emotional personality must be good as well, like not getting angry at any person for any reason. Work well with any person, be a team player essentially. Most of the stuff is independent of educational level. If taking these traits as pre-requirements as well as education, all my colleges, me included, would fail.

Oh good grief! Try to say something nice about people and someone else has to come along and spout negativity.
« Last Edit: 06/10/2017 12:56 AM by TomH »

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 663
  • Likes Given: 1923
« Reply #6 on: 06/10/2017 09:30 AM »
Oh good grief! Try to say something nice about people and someone else has to come along and spout negativity.

How do you read negativity into my post? I pretty much said the same thing as you: these are great people. Just not for the reasons that you and the article lists.

Offline TaurusLittrow

• Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #7 on: 06/10/2017 09:40 AM »
This class appears to be being groomed for long-term deep space missions based on their ages (some in their late 20s or early 30s) and skill sets. Notably, two of them have experience on Antarctic expditions and another member of the class was stationed aboard a nuclear submarine – both Earth analogs of long-term deep space flight. Two members of the class are also MDs, with clinical experience. This announcement of the new astronaut class has to be seen in the context of NASA’s “Evolvable Mars Campaign,” which outlines SLS missions and timelines as well as the space agency’s “deep space gateway and transport plan.” Based on these timelines, several members of this class will probably orbit the moon and it is conceivable that some could be eligible for missions to the Mars system in the early to mid-2030s. Bottom line: this is the first astronaut class in almost 40 years recruited with the intent to send them beyond LEO.

Offline IRobot

• Portugal & Germany
  • Liked: 198
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #8 on: 06/10/2017 01:45 PM »

TomH is right, their qualifications are nothing out of the ordinary. I have 3 PHDs in physics in my software team, plus 5 with masters and I don't call our qualifications breathtaking.
Titles are only a small hint on how good they are.

Offline RIB

• USA
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #9 on: 07/18/2017 08:17 PM »
And not a Deke Slayton among them.

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 499
« Reply #10 on: 07/22/2017 11:49 AM »
And not a Deke Slayton among them.
If it weren't for WW2 which forced the USAAF to alter it flight entry requirements, the Army Air Force mechanic Chuck Yeager would have never gotten his wings, let alone becoming involved with the NACA X-1 project as a test pilot to break the sound barrier.

Educational requirements are one thing, almost anyone can prepare themselves with education, but passing the brutal Astronaut Medical is another. Yes, you can train your body, but the slightest off-nominal anatomical or physiological deviation will deselect you.
Anyone who has attained the rank of Astronaut or Astronaut Candidate has attained something or great import.
Congrats to the newest class and best of luck with your training.
Paul

Tags: