Author Topic: Starfighter Jet incident on the SLF  (Read 2962 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Starfighter Jet incident on the SLF
« on: 05/25/2017 09:03 PM »
KSCer's talking about a Starfighter jet that has gone off the end of the SLF. Hopefully nothing serious. Long runway!

Online Chris Bergin

Re: (Unconfirmed) Starfighter Jet incident on the SLF
« Reply #1 on: 05/25/2017 09:04 PM »
Here's a file photo of one near the old MDM.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 4696
  • Likes Given: 3182
« Reply #2 on: 05/25/2017 09:44 PM »
How often do these jets use this facility in the course of routine operations? Was this an out of the ordinary thing, (landing because it was a long runway) or an ordinary thing where maybe there was a brake failure or ?

edit: Wikipedia says there are only 6 operational left in the US, one belonging to "Starfighters Inc" based at the Cape

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_Lockheed_F-104_Starfighters#United_States
« Last Edit: 05/25/2017 09:47 PM by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 987
  • Likes Given: 227
« Reply #3 on: 05/25/2017 09:45 PM »
Company that operates the F-104's out of KSC.

http://www.starfighters.net

I hope it's not true and everyone is okay.
« Last Edit: 05/25/2017 09:48 PM by kevin-rf »
Sharknado 5: Global Swarming
Make America Bait Again!

Offline HVM

• Finland
  • Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #4 on: 05/25/2017 10:03 PM »
I hope everything is ok, but F-104's many nicknames are not for nothing.

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 600
  • Likes Given: 392
« Reply #5 on: 05/26/2017 12:24 AM »
How often do these jets use this facility in the course of routine operations? Was this an out of the ordinary thing, (landing because it was a long runway) or an ordinary thing where maybe there was a brake failure or ?

edit: Wikipedia says there are only 6 operational left in the US, one belonging to "Starfighters Inc" based at the Cape

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_Lockheed_F-104_Starfighters#United_States
That is really out of date.

"Starfighters Inc" just received 4 104S's from Italy bringing total to 12 with more additions in the plans.
Existing SFA fleet is in Avionics upgrades and shakedown testing at SLF.

Offline JH

• Liked: 54
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #6 on: 05/26/2017 10:28 AM »
Is this related to the CubeCab guys? They're using Starfighters and are based out of Florida.
« Last Edit: 05/26/2017 10:31 AM by JH »

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 643
  • Likes Given: 1158
« Reply #7 on: 05/26/2017 10:53 AM »
I love these damned hot old planes and I greatly admire the people who own and operate them. They are a true blue American aviation treasure - and so are the folks who run them. I hope everyone is okay!!

« Last Edit: 05/26/2017 10:58 AM by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #8 on: 05/26/2017 01:16 PM »
Not heard anything since, so could have been a nose wheel slipping off the end at 1 mph for all we know. Air traffic control guy friend says that would still send out the fire trucks as a matter of procedure.

That's how KSCers were hearing about it, over the Fire Net.

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 663
  • Likes Given: 3750
« Reply #9 on: 05/26/2017 03:14 PM »

That is really out of date.

"Starfighters Inc" just received 4 104S's from Italy bringing total to 12 with more additions in the plans.
Existing SFA fleet is in Avionics upgrades and shakedown testing at SLF.
What ?? You mean some of these aircraft are still flight worthy?
I love these damned hot old planes and I greatly admire the people who own and operate them. They are a true blue American aviation treasure - and so are the folks who run them. I hope everyone is okay!!
They are certainly a creative design. Before I'd heard of them the only place I'd seen a downward ejector seat was in "Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons."

Their flight safety record probably got a lot better when Lockheed added boundary layer control to improve handling.  :(

That said they did make Lockheed a huge amount of money in foreign sales.
"Solids are a branch of fireworks, not rocketry. :-) :-) ", Henry Spencer 1/28/11  Averse to bold? You must be in marketing."It's all in the sequencing" K. Mattingly.  STS-Keeping most of the stakeholders happy most of the time.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #10 on: 05/26/2017 03:57 PM »
https://twitter.com/FLSPACErePORT/status/868132975082450944

Edward Ellegood‏ @FLSPACErePORT  3m3 minutes ago

FYI - The aircraft landed a bit long, but is undamaged and back in the hangar. Non-standard op. No injuries.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 987
  • Likes Given: 227
Re: Starfighter Jet incident on the SLF
« Reply #11 on: 05/26/2017 06:15 PM »
That tweet makes it sound like it ended up in the EMAS, (Engineered Materials Arresting System) at the end of the runway.

Basically fragile concrete the landing gear breaks through on an overrun to slow the aircraft down. Think, runaway truck ramp but with a weak concrete instead of gravel. I can see the plane getting stuck and having to be towed out after the indecent. Hence all the radio chatter.
Sharknado 5: Global Swarming
Make America Bait Again!

Tags: