Author Topic: FAILURE: Shijian-18 - CZ-5 (Y2) - WSLC, LC101 - July 2, 2017 (11:23 UTC)  (Read 74799 times)

Offline JimO

• Veteran
  • Texas, USA
  • Liked: 215
  • Likes Given: 49

Anybody working on this? -- we need to get a lat/long/alt/time plot to correlate with aspect angles in the Luzon images.

Offline JimO

• Veteran
  • Texas, USA
  • Liked: 215
  • Likes Given: 49
more local Philippines sightings reports....

Online zubenelgenubi

• Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Commonwealth of Virginia
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 692
Is this phenomenon something that Filipino sky-watchers will have future opportunities to see and record, under the right lighting conditions--GTO/GEO launches from Wenchang?

Would those opportunities be predictable?
Support your local planetarium!

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 2690
  • Likes Given: 1700
Is this phenomenon something that Filipino sky-watchers will have future opportunities to see and record, under the right lighting conditions--GTO/GEO launches from Wenchang?

Yes. Any launch just after sunset from Wenchang (most GTO launches) could produce a similar effect.

Offline 1

• El Segundo, CA
  • Liked: 212
  • Likes Given: 3

Yes. Any launch just after sunset from Wenchang (most GTO launches) could produce a similar effect.

Or just before sunrise; and from most any launch site. Plenty of "UFO" sightings from our own proverbial back yard. For example, the MUOS 4 launch.

Offline SmallKing

• Zhejiang, China, the Earth
  • Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 184
Some are bound for happiness, some are bound to glory, some are bound to live with less, who can tell your story?

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 2835
  • Likes Given: 946
Tian: Long March 5 investigation ongoing, hope to have details by the end of the year. Will adjust schedules of Chang’e-5 and 4. #IAC2017

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/912197913995911168

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 168
Here’s the related article to the above tweet.

Long March 5 failure to postpone China’s lunar exploration program

A leading official of China’s space program confirmed Sept. 25 that the July failure of the country’s largest launch vehicle will lead to delays to upcoming lunar missions, including one to return samples.

Tian Yulong, secretary general of the China National Space Administration, said at a press conference during the 68th International Astronautical Congress here that the investigation into the July 2 failure of the Long March 5 on its second mission was ongoing, with no updates on the cause of the failure.

“The Long March 5 is a bigger challenge for China’s space agency,” he said. “In the future, maybe the end of the year, we will have a clear understanding of the problem.”

http://spacenews.com/long-march-5-failure-to-postpone-chinas-lunar-exploration-program/

Offline SmallKing

Interesting. Someone in 9ifly reminded me that the Xiang Yang Hong 09 survey vessel(support ship of the submarine Jiao Long) is just in the position of CZ-5 stage 1 crash. I just checked the satellite AIS, the current position of the ship is 139°34.08'E 16°49.91'N in 2017-10-03 04:28:38(UTC +8)
Some are bound for happiness, some are bound to glory, some are bound to live with less, who can tell your story?

Offline Moon Rabbit

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 24
Anyone who has subscription to Aviationweek? Came across this article or rather a synopsis of a news that the failure have been identified. The full article requires subscription, so I have not been able to read it in full.

http://aviationweek.com/space/long-march-5-fault-identified-other-launchers-unaffected
"Chinese space engineers have identified the fault that caused the failure of the second flight of their country’s largest space launcher, Long March 5, a problem that appears to be pushing back the mission schedule by about a year. The cause of the failure was simply a manufacturing defect in one of the two YF-77 hydrogen-burning engines of the core first stage, says a source close to the Chinese industry. The fault was quickly pinned down, says that source, who adds there was nothing ..."

« Last Edit: 10/08/2017 08:37 AM by Moon Rabbit »
The Mercury Seven - Carpenter, Cooper, Glenn, Grissom, Schirra, Shepard, Slayton. “Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” - Carl Sagan

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 267
  • Likes Given: 622
Is there a launch code available for this flight, please?

Offline SmallKing

Should be 07-W4

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 267
  • Likes Given: 622
Should be 07-W4

Agreed that is what is *should* be, but as far as I know the code for Tianzhou 1 hasn't been confirmed as being 07-W3.

Offline SmallKing

Sure. I just did some search work, and found nothing...
« Last Edit: 10/10/2017 08:49 AM by SmallKing »

Offline linxiaoyi

• China
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 93
It's 07-W3, I saw it with my own eyes
Welcome to my website:http://www.spaceflightfans.cn/

Offline SmallKing

Are you sure? I highly doubt it

Offline cscott

• Liked: 1711
  • Likes Given: 656

Are you sure? I highly doubt it

Possibly @linxiaoyi means they saw 07-W3 for Tianzhou 1 with their own eyes?

Offline Moon Rabbit

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 24
Came across this article dated 27 Sept 2017:
https://thespacereporter.com/article.php?n=rocket-failure-causes-china-to-postpone-lunar-sample-return-mission&id=131684

There was a mentioned of a second Shijian-18. I assume the author meant a backup for the Shijian-18 that was lost. Scheduled for next month? Using the CZ-5 (Y3) that was initially meant for Chang'e 5? What do you think...just speculation by the author?

"Another Long March 5 launch scheduled for November might carry a second Shijian-18 satellite, replacing the first one, which was destroyed in the failed launch." (paragraph six of the article)
The Mercury Seven - Carpenter, Cooper, Glenn, Grissom, Schirra, Shepard, Slayton. “Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” - Carl Sagan

Online zhangmdev

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 0
If there is a launch next month, rocket stages should be transported to Wenchang right now. Could be verified by checking the whereabout of yuangwang21/22.

Edit: found Yuan Wang 21 anchored at Zhangjiagang.

https://www.fleetmon.com/vessels/yuan-wang-21_0_8295142/

Don't known where is Yuan Wang 22 right now.
« Last Edit: 10/13/2017 06:31 PM by zhangmdev »

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Braga - Portugal
    • Em Órbita
  • Liked: 349
  • Likes Given: 235
Previous information said that that launch was schedule for the second quarter of 2018.

Tags: