Author Topic: Jeff Bezos on New Shepard, funding New Glenn & Blue Origin's Approach and Goals  (Read 1325 times)

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1136
  • Likes Given: 2762
Geekwire has a video and an article covering the recent Blue Origin Q & A in Colorado Springs.

http://www.geekwire.com/2017/jeff-bezos-amazon-blue-origin/

My personal favorite quote was:

I am determined to lower the access to space.  That will take: Talented people, money and patience and we have all three.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 6222
  • Likes Given: 4569
I'm not convinced that patience is too helpful. Blue Origin really didn't start doing much until SpaceX threatened to take all of Bezos' ego-boosting milestones. They're graduating from a New Shep to a vehicle far more complex with 35x the thrust and more powerful than any currently flying rocket. Hardly "patient," and for that I am glad.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 3744
  • Likes Given: 787
I'm not convinced that patience is too helpful. Blue Origin really didn't start doing much until SpaceX threatened to take all of Bezos' ego-boosting milestones. They're graduating from a New Shep to a vehicle far more complex with 35x the thrust and more powerful than any currently flying rocket. Hardly "patient," and for that I am glad.

There's no "gradatim" in "ferociter"...
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 107
  • Likes Given: 6
I found it most interesting that Blue Origin is looking at putting an upper-stage on New Shepard.
Has anyone an idea what engine this upper-stage could use? (BE-2? the 25000lb LNG-LOx engine?)

I wonder how deep the BE-4 can throttle down. (lets not repeat myself) ...
« Last Edit: 04/07/2017 04:04 PM by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline J-V

• Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 30
I found it most interesting that Blue Origin is looking at putting an upper-stage on New Shepard.
Has anyone an idea what engine this upper-stage could use? (BE-2?)

I wonder how deep the BE-4 can throttle down. (lets not repeat myself) ...

How much does the New Shepard capsule weight? Could you build a usable second hydrolox stage using BE-3U that is light enough? Maybe they could use the same tooling for tanks, keeping the dev costs low.

Tags: