Author Topic: Elon The Boring Company  (Read 1626517 times)

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
Re: Elon The Boring Company
« Reply #440 on: 06/18/2017 11:57 pm »
And an extinct volcano lair. Gotta have that too
I mean... Atolls are (usually) on top of extinct volcanoes, so Kwaj technically counts.
« Last Edit: 06/18/2017 11:57 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 1255
  • Likes Given: 1017
« Reply #441 on: 06/27/2017 04:58 pm »
It would be a bit easier to just buy the Sealaunch facility at Longbeach and build the Rocket Assembly factory there. Engines and Engineers could travel from Hawthorne. It's not like they've got lots of spare room at Hawthorne to build much bigger rockets now.

Offline ariek

• Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #442 on: 06/27/2017 10:40 pm »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81660
  • Likes Given: 36933
« Reply #443 on: 06/29/2017 12:17 am »
No longer waiting for Godot. It has begun boring and just completed the first segment of tunnel in LA.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/880201464370442240

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #444 on: 06/30/2017 08:00 am »
Across the road and below the ground

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/880675074231107584

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #445 on: 06/30/2017 08:10 am »
Just installed steel skeleton of the car/pod elevator. Should be operating next week.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/880679414274691073

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #446 on: 06/30/2017 02:53 pm »
An update on Elon's plans:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/business/20170629/tunnel-to-nowhere-elon-musk-starts-digging-in-hawthorne-but-to-where

Includes:

Musk is now seeking regulatory safety approvals to dig the first 2 miles of his futuristic subterranean vision, Hawthorne interim City Manager Arnie Shadbehr said Thursday.

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2412
  • Likes Given: 10225
« Reply #447 on: 06/30/2017 05:18 pm »
An update on Elon's plans:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/business/20170629/tunnel-to-nowhere-elon-musk-starts-digging-in-hawthorne-but-to-where

Includes:

Musk is now seeking regulatory safety approvals to dig the first 2 miles of his futuristic subterranean vision, Hawthorne interim City Manager Arnie Shadbehr said Thursday.

That's a good article, per usual by Sandy Mazza, the local reporter.  I think she meant "west," when she wrote "east," however.

The first 2 miles of the traffic-transport tunnel would travel from the parking lot along Crenshaw Boulevard, and then east under 120th Street. It would stop just beyond Hawthorne Boulevard, where additional permits would be needed to continue.

Going east would quickly take you out of Hawthorne, which they probably want to avoid at this stage.
« Last Edit: 06/30/2017 05:18 pm by RedLineTrain »

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 543
  • Likes Given: 604
« Reply #448 on: 06/30/2017 05:22 pm »
This is not a drill! Or is it?

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #449 on: 07/17/2017 02:33 pm »
10 jobs open.

Certified Crane Operator for 110-ton Crawler Crane
TBM Operator
TBM Segment Installer
TBM Mechanic
Safety Representative and Gas Tester
Concrete Batch Plant Operator
Concrete Field Testing Technician
Mechanical Engineer/Designer
Tunnel Design Engineer
California Professional Geologist and Certified Engineering Geologist

Looks like the crane operator job may have been filled.  Two more job openings.

Firmware Engineer with experience in CANbus, C++, and embedded Linux
In-House Counsel with Transactional Experience (Transportation Law Experience Preferred)

The mix of jobs so far is interesting.  Not engineering-heavy.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #450 on: 07/19/2017 07:16 pm »
From Elon's ISS R&D conference keynote discussion today:

[Couldn't post while I was listening earlier.]

One question was whether boring could be used not just for transportation on Earth but also on Mars. Elon said yes, both for mining for raw materials and also for underground habitats to provide radiation shielding.

He did stress that due to different Martian conditions boring machines would be different from Earth ones. Also mentioned later that currently boring machines on Earth are very heavy. So a lot of work needed to design boring machines light enough to take to Mars.
« Last Edit: 07/19/2017 07:17 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #451 on: 07/20/2017 03:22 pm »
Well well well well....................................  :o

Elon Musk @elonmusk

Just received verbal govt approval for The Boring Company to build an underground NY-Phil-Balt-DC Hyperloop. NY-DC in 29 mins.

Elon Musk @elonmusk

City center to city center in each case, with up to a dozen or more entry/exit elevators in each city

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/888053175155949572

(maybe it won't be too hard to build something like that on Moon/Mars then.....)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Tulse

• Liked: 395
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #452 on: 07/20/2017 04:05 pm »
What does it even mean to receive "verbal" approval from multiple states/cities?  That's not how it works.

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #453 on: 07/20/2017 04:10 pm »
What does it even mean to receive "verbal" approval from multiple states/cities?  That's not how it works.

Do we even know how it works?
« Last Edit: 07/20/2017 04:18 pm by RedLineTrain »

Offline Tulse

« Reply #454 on: 07/20/2017 04:18 pm »
Well, there is no reason to think that the regulatory issues for constructing Hyperloop would be radically different than any other type of infrastructure, like say a railroad line, highway, or power lines.  Is it likely that the dozens of jurisdictions at various levels (federal, state, county, municipal) that cover this route would have provided "verbal" approval already?  Does that mean that things like environmental assessments and safety audits have already been done?  For major projects, those kind of things can take years.  And do any government entities actually provide "verbal" approval?  Is that even legal?  Is any government staffer permitted to give verbal assurances prior to actual legal written approvals?

This is all just kinda weird, and silly.

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #455 on: 07/20/2017 04:20 pm »
Well, there is no reason to think that the regulatory issues for constructing Hyperloop would be radically different than any other type of infrastructure, like say a railroad line, highway, or power lines.  Is it likely that the dozens of jurisdictions at various levels (federal, state, county, municipal) that cover this route would have provided "verbal" approval already?  Does that mean that things like environmental assessments and safety audits have already been done?  For major projects, those kind of things can take years.  And do any government entities actually provide "verbal" approval?  Is that even legal?  Is any government staffer permitted to give verbal assurances prior to actual legal written approvals?

This is all just kinda weird, and silly.

As I understand vaguely, interstate railroads (like a hyperloop) have their own set of rules and federal rules trump local rules.

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2280
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #456 on: 07/20/2017 04:23 pm »
As I understand vaguely, interstate railroads (like a hyperloop) have their own set of rules and federal rules trump local rules.

But they almost certainly require a public comment period.
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #457 on: 07/20/2017 04:29 pm »

But they almost certainly require a public comment period.

I'm no attorney on interstate railroad law, so I don't know what is required.  But we shouldn't assume that we know how this works without that specialized knowledge.  Strikes me that it could be a pretty arcane subject area.

Suffice it to say that we have private railroads in the United States and they seem to operate in some fashion, despite all of the NIMBYs.
« Last Edit: 07/20/2017 04:33 pm by RedLineTrain »

Offline Tulse

« Reply #458 on: 07/20/2017 04:33 pm »
I'm no attorney on interstate railroad law, so I don't know what is required.  But we shouldn't assume that we know how this works without that specialized knowledge.  Strikes me that it could be a pretty arcane subject area.
True, but is there any other massive interstate infrastructure project you know of that has been approved so quickly, and with "verbal" approval?

Offline RedLineTrain

« Reply #459 on: 07/20/2017 04:45 pm »
True, but is there any other massive interstate infrastructure project you know of that has been approved so quickly, and with "verbal" approval?

I don't know what he means by verbal approval.  Who knows for what and by whom he was given verbal approval.  He was in Washington yesterday, so maybe he was talking with regulators there.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography