Author Topic: ITS Development Updates and Discussion Thread  (Read 177672 times)

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 6476
  • Likes Given: 4700
Re: ITS Development Updates and Discussion Thread
« Reply #880 on: 07/15/2017 04:27 PM »
Nobody but SpaceX is doing serious work on a Mars lander. That's the obvious role.

And that is the hardest part of ITS.

Erm...

NASA did a lot of serious work on Mars landers. And actually landed seven.
...none of which scales beyond a ton or so. Of course you know that. You also knew what I was referring to.

NASA HSF spends all their money on things other than the one thing needed for Moon or Mars: a lander.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Negan

• Southwest
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 177
« Reply #881 on: 07/15/2017 05:07 PM »
Nobody but SpaceX is doing serious work on a Mars lander. That's the obvious role.

And that is the hardest part of ITS.

Erm...

NASA did a lot of serious work on Mars landers. And actually landed seven.
...none of which scales beyond a ton or so. Of course you know that. You also knew what I was referring to.

NASA HSF spends all their money on things other than the one thing needed for Moon or Mars: a lander.

I thought the reason why NASA was working on hypersonic inflatable aerodynamic decelerator technology as well as supporting the Red Dragon mission was to support heavier payloads.

Offline original_mds

• MN, USA
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #882 on: 07/17/2017 06:19 PM »
I thought the reason why NASA was working on hypersonic inflatable aerodynamic decelerator technology as well as supporting the Red Dragon mission was to support heavier payloads.
Maybe.  But it also has implications for landing non-aerodynamic shapes and potential adaptation to an inflatable escape pod/(re)entry vehicle, similar to the MOOS concept.

Offline Ionmars

• North Carolina, USA
    • The Mars Pioneer
  • Liked: 196
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #883 on: 07/18/2017 03:21 PM »
Heavier, yes. But when the lander is greater than 40 tonnes, HIAD will not do the job.  Other systems will be required, such as supersonic retropulsion and biconic shells.
https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/docs/IPPW-8_Short_Course_SRP_Edquist_Final.pdf
* Mars: a convenient service station for an asteroid-sized spaceship en-route to Ceres. *

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #884 on: 07/18/2017 03:41 PM »
Heavier, yes. But when the lander is greater than 40 tonnes, HIAD will not do the job.  Other systems will be required, such as supersonic retropulsion and biconic shells.

I have to wonder if HIAD could help and by how much with deceleration.  If we're talking about 10% or less, it likely wouldn't really be worth the extra mass it would add.
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline Ictogan

• Germany
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #885 on: 07/18/2017 03:45 PM »
40 tons is still a huge Mars lander compared to anything that has been landed there so far.

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 962
  • Likes Given: 740
« Reply #886 on: 07/18/2017 04:13 PM »
40 tons is still a huge Mars lander compared to anything that has been landed there so far.

The NASA DRA 5.0 largest lander was 40 tons, so HIAD can handle what NASA was planning.

Offline ChrML

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #887 on: 07/18/2017 04:24 PM »
I'm sure that anyone volunteering for the first flights will be very well aware of the huge risks of the mission. I seriously doubt any launch abort system is planned for the first decade.

Even if it was, I'm not sure adding complexity is the best way of dealing with this. Complexity is a risk by itself, and could even be the cause of the catastrophic failure it was going to prevent.

I think the best way would be a more passive approach to increase survivability in the event of RUD. For example instead of a lunch system, you could design the capsule in a way that an engine/tank explosion would "shoot" the capsule out like a bullet from a gun. Requires reinforceing the walls below and the torpedo wall between. Then add chutes for the landing.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #888 on: 07/19/2017 02:31 AM »

The NASA DRA 5.0 largest lander was 40 tons, so HIAD can handle what NASA was planning.
...but not alone. Many concepts propose also using SRP.

All of NASA's human lander designs now baseline SRP thanks to SpaceX.

The point is that none of those lander concepts are being seriously funded by NASA. HIAD is ultimately just a drag device, nothing even remotely close to a full lander.
« Last Edit: 07/19/2017 02:33 AM by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9392
  • Likes Given: 297
« Reply #889 on: 07/19/2017 02:48 AM »
I'm sure that anyone volunteering for the first flights will be very well aware of the huge risks of the mission. I seriously doubt any launch abort system is planned for the first decade.

Even if it was, I'm not sure adding complexity is the best way of dealing with this. Complexity is a risk by itself, and could even be the cause of the catastrophic failure it was going to prevent.

I think the best way would be a more passive approach to increase survivability in the event of RUD. For example instead of a lunch system, you could design the capsule in a way that an engine/tank explosion would "shoot" the capsule out like a bullet from a gun. Requires reinforceing the walls below and the torpedo wall between. Then add chutes for the landing.

That is not workable.

Online TomH

• CA
  • Liked: 652
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #890 on: 07/19/2017 03:26 AM »

This would require making the tank walls hundreds or even thousands of times thicker. The rocket would be many times heavier than the engines could lift from the ground.

Also, the hundreds to thousands of G-forces would pancake the capsule as well as the astronauts' bodies, killing them instantly.
« Last Edit: 07/19/2017 03:28 AM by TomH »

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 962
  • Likes Given: 740
« Reply #891 on: 07/19/2017 04:05 AM »

...but not alone. Many concepts propose also using SRP.

All of NASA's human lander designs now baseline SRP thanks to SpaceX.

The point is that none of those lander concepts are being seriously funded by NASA. HIAD is ultimately just a drag device, nothing even remotely close to a full lander.

Yes, SpaceX SRP is a better method. NASA isn't seriously working on any manned spaceflight other than SLS/Orion. No lunar or Mars landers at all. DSG could be useful, but it's just talk unless Congress funds it. That's a good reason to get back on topic. SpaceX is serious about ITS.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #892 on: 07/19/2017 05:06 AM »
Right. ITS is the only serious large Mars lander project in existence (a point which people disagreed with which is why we had that discussion about HIAD, which is just a drag device) and once Falcon 9 block 5 is finished, it should get a lot more serious.

Offline ChrML

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #893 on: 07/19/2017 09:29 AM »
Quote from: TomH
This would require making the tank walls hundreds or even thousands of times thicker. The rocket would be many times heavier than the engines could lift from the ground.

Also, the hundreds to thousands of G-forces would pancake the capsule as well as the astronauts' bodies, killing them instantly.

Even if you design it weak at strategic places so that just 1% of the force pushes the craft up?

Offline envy887

• Liked: 1008
  • Likes Given: 675
« Reply #894 on: 07/19/2017 01:05 PM »

Even if you design it weak at strategic places so that just 1% of the force pushes the craft up?

You really don't wan't to use an uncontrolled explosion to move a spacecraft around. Not only would the spacecraft have to be reinforced against the worst case blast/penetration scenario (which means lots of mass), it has to be be able to be strong (and heavy) enough to take uncontrolled aerodynamic loads at high speeds in dense atmosphere.

For example, it wasn't the disintegrating external tank that destroyed Challenger. The loss of control authority resulted in excessive angle of attack, and then aerodynamic forces broke up the orbiter.

It's much better to use a propulsion system that has control over both acceleration and attitude for escape.

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #895 on: 07/19/2017 01:57 PM »

Project Orion as a LAS  :o

« Last Edit: 07/19/2017 01:59 PM by jpo234 »

Online TomH

• CA
  • Liked: 652
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #896 on: 07/19/2017 05:27 PM »

You really don't wan't to use an uncontrolled explosion to move a spacecraft around. Not only would the spacecraft have to be reinforced against the worst case blast/penetration scenario (which means lots of mass), it has to be be able to be strong (and heavy) enough to take uncontrolled aerodynamic loads at high speeds in dense atmosphere.

For example, it wasn't the disintegrating external tank that destroyed Challenger. The loss of control authority resulted in excessive angle of attack, and then aerodynamic forces broke up the orbiter.

It's much better to use a propulsion system that has control over both acceleration and attitude for escape.

This is correct. An engine on an X-15 once exploded during a static test. The rocket plane was bolted down and the total energy release was minuscule in contrast to what we are talking about here. The airframe was subjected to a 50 G surge which lasted probably less than a millisecond. The craft was severely damaged, although pilot Scott Crossfield, once again, miraculously was uninjured.

When a launch abort system pulls or pushes a capsule away from an explosion, the energy applied to acceleration is expended during several seconds rather than all in a millisecond. Think of it this way. You need to go to the store to grab something. The store is a mile away and your motorcycle is out of gas. As an alternative to putting more gas in the tank, you notice there is a 300' high crane next to your house with a 20,000 lb wrecking ball on the end. You arrange to have the wrecking ball swung such that it hits the motorcycle (with you on it) and simply knocks your bike (like an immense croquet mallet) flying through the air to land at the store. That's pretty much analogous to what you have proposed with the rocket.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #897 on: 07/22/2017 06:48 PM »
I vote a new update thread focusing explicitly on the 9m diameter BFR/BFS.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/888813713800785923

Quote from: Elon Musk
A 9m diameter vehicle fits in our existing factories ...

Offline DJPledger

• Liked: 81
  • Likes Given: 1887
« Reply #898 on: 07/22/2017 07:51 PM »
Looks like 21 full size Raptors in 1+6+14 configuration will fit under a 9m dia. core. So basically IAC2016 ITS booster minus the outer ring of Raptors. Raptor thrust will have to be a bit lower than IAC2016 figure if new ITS booster has 21 Raptors to keep within 12Mlbf limit of LC-39A. We will have to wait until IAC2017 to find out how many Raptors the new smaller ITS booster will have.

Online vaporcobra

« Reply #899 on: 07/22/2017 08:06 PM »
I vote a new update thread focusing explicitly on the 9m diameter BFR/BFS.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/888813713800785923

Quote from: Elon Musk
A 9m diameter vehicle fits in our existing factories ...

Agreed. New focused thread would be worthwhile. Before a mod actually creates one, I went ahead.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=43427.0
« Last Edit: 07/22/2017 08:11 PM by vaporcobra »

Tags: