Author Topic: General Falcon and Dragon discussion (Thread 14)  (Read 181761 times)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 1389
  • Likes Given: 998
Re: General Falcon and Dragon discussion (Thread 14)
« Reply #560 on: 07/08/2017 03:20 PM »
Tweet from Math Sundin
RUAG Space puts one ping pong ball in for every launch they are part of. @SpaceX designed their own and sent 500. @elonmusk

RUAG supplies parts for many satellites.  Some of their recent tweets mentioned the spacecraft separation system for Inmarsat 5 F4 and thermal components on Iridium NEXT.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 2886
  • Likes Given: 4056
« Reply #561 on: 07/08/2017 04:48 PM »
500   :o

Somebody's got big plans...

(The idea of hundreds of F9 launches is fantasy to some, but not everyone it seems.)
« Last Edit: 07/08/2017 04:50 PM by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 277
  • Likes Given: 193
« Reply #562 on: 07/09/2017 02:49 AM »

(The idea of hundreds of F9 launches is fantasy to some, but not everyone it seems.)

Minimum order?

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 2886
  • Likes Given: 4056
« Reply #563 on: 07/09/2017 10:15 AM »

Minimum order?

That's one possibility.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline Roy_H

• Liked: 183
  • Likes Given: 1171
« Reply #564 on: 07/09/2017 12:33 PM »
Tweet from Math Sundin
RUAG Space puts one ping pong ball in for every launch they are part of. @SpaceX designed their own and sent 500. @elonmusk

RUAG supplies parts for many satellites.  Some of their recent tweets mentioned the spacecraft separation system for Inmarsat 5 F4 and thermal components on Iridium NEXT.

There are 9 ping-pong balls in the SpaceX tube. Have they been part of 9 launches, or do they represent the 9 Iridium Next satellites in the first launch? I suspect the latter in which case the number of balls will get used up faster.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 175
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #565 on: 07/09/2017 12:43 PM »
Is this a sign that RUAG will supply some parts for CommX satellites? I'd say yes.

Online cppetrie

• Liked: 216
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #566 on: 07/09/2017 12:55 PM »
Tweet from Math Sundin

There are 9 ping-pong balls in the SpaceX tube. Have they been part of 9 launches, or do they represent the 9 Iridium Next satellites in the first launch? I suspect the latter in which case the number of balls will get used up faster.
But there are 10 satellites per launch so that doesn't seem like it would be it. I think it's one ball per mission.

Offline Roy_H

• Liked: 183
  • Likes Given: 1171
« Reply #567 on: 07/09/2017 02:09 PM »
Tweet from Math Sundin

But there are 10 satellites per launch so that doesn't seem like it would be it. I think it's one ball per mission.

My bad, I thought the first launch was only 9 satellites. You must be correct.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk

Offline cscott

• Liked: 1714
  • Likes Given: 656
« Reply #568 on: 07/09/2017 03:31 PM »
Tweet from Math Sundin

I only count eight visible. It's *possible* there are two unseen. I agree it's pretty clear there's at least one unseen underneath the balls on the far side.

Online cppetrie

• Liked: 216
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #569 on: 07/09/2017 03:49 PM »
Tweet from Math Sundin

I only count eight visible. It's *possible* there are two unseen. I agree it's pretty clear there's at least one unseen underneath the balls on the far side.
It's pretty clear in the tweet that each ball represents a launch they were involved with. That's two Iridium launches plus the InmarSat launch. They used to supply fairings early on although they don't anymore. But they also supply other parts for launches so some of those are for miscellaneous parts. They won't be adding one for every launch of Falcon, but there'll be plenty more added in the years to come.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #570 on: 08/21/2017 01:15 AM »
A few recent articles I don't remember seeing linked here.  Not really new information, but fairly well done.

[Air Force Magazine] Space Launch Competition
Overview of SpaceX entering the EELV program and beginning to compete.  (If you open the pdf version you'll get the magazine layout with more pictures.)

[Marie Claire] Meet Gwynne Shotwell, the Woman Who Could Take Us to Mars
Apparently Marie Claire can do a SpaceX related article better than most of the mainstream press.

[Bloomberg] Elon Musk Is Getting SpaceX Closer to Mars, One Rocket at a Time
A pictorial timeline of all SpaceX launch and landing attempts through CRS-12.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #571 on: 08/31/2017 09:17 PM »
[Sandusky Register] Senator Portman tours NASA Plum Brook Station
PERKINS TWP. — U.S. Sen Rob Portman, R-Ohio, toured the NASA Plum Brook Station Tuesday, visiting facilities that will be used for testing soon by SpaceX and vowing to continue his support for NASA.

The senator toured the Space Environmental Complex, home of the world's largest thermal vacuum chamber, where SpaceX will do payload faring testing after Labor Day, and the B-2 spacecraft propulsion facility, where SpaceX will begin carrying out tests in January.

Online abaddon

• Liked: 939
  • Likes Given: 752
« Reply #572 on: 08/31/2017 09:24 PM »
Payload fairing testing?  Are they qualifying a new fairing, possibly a longer one?
« Last Edit: 08/31/2017 09:25 PM by abaddon »

Offline old_sellsword

• Liked: 463
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #573 on: 08/31/2017 09:47 PM »
Payload fairing testing?  Are they qualifying a new fairing, possibly a longer one?

Probably Fairing 2.0, which we’ve heard won’t be significantly longer.

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 390
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #574 on: 08/31/2017 09:47 PM »
And what propulsion tests could SpaceX be up to? Raptor?
« Last Edit: 08/31/2017 09:48 PM by jpo234 »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline Req

• Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 2576
« Reply #575 on: 08/31/2017 10:02 PM »

This video mentions that the B-2 facility can handle a maximum of 400,000lbf of thrust, fwiw.  Interesting video, worth a watch if you aren't familiar with the facility.  Only hydrogen stages were mentioned - I wonder if fouling from RP-1 precludes Merlin testing?  Anybody know if the facility can handle heavy hydrocarbons?

« Last Edit: 08/31/2017 10:06 PM by Req »

Offline IainMcClatchie

• San Francisco Bay Area
  • Liked: 136
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #576 on: 08/31/2017 10:40 PM »
I find videos like that frustrating.

The big problem that facility solves is holding vacuum conditions while the engine pumps gigantic amounts of gas into said vacuum.  How does it do that?

Okay, so it sprays cold water into the exhaust.  Even at 1 degree C, that water must have some vapor pressure, and presumably it heats up during firing and the vapor pressure increases significantly.  Do they keep the test article below that vapor pressure?  If so, how?

The exhaust from any engine will have many components (primarily hydrogen, but could be CO and CO2 for a hydrocarbon engine) that don't condense into the water.  Are the steam ejectors some kind of venturi for pumping out that gas?

Finally, upper stage engines tend to go quiescent for 10-20 minutes between firings.  Do they keep the steam ejectors running that long?

... I wish that when some NASA PR flack gets told to make a short video extolling one of their centers, they'd ask an engineer what the big ideas are.

Online LouScheffer

• Liked: 1734
  • Likes Given: 197
« Reply #577 on: 09/01/2017 05:08 PM »
I find videos like that frustrating.

The big problem that facility solves is holding vacuum conditions while the engine pumps gigantic amounts of gas into said vacuum.  How does it do that?

Okay, so it sprays cold water into the exhaust.  Even at 1 degree C, that water must have some vapor pressure, and presumably it heats up during firing and the vapor pressure increases significantly.  Do they keep the test article below that vapor pressure?  If so, how?

The exhaust from any engine will have many components (primarily hydrogen, but could be CO and CO2 for a hydrocarbon engine) that don't condense into the water.  Are the steam ejectors some kind of venturi for pumping out that gas?

Finally, upper stage engines tend to go quiescent for 10-20 minutes between firings.  Do they keep the steam ejectors running that long?

... I wish that when some NASA PR flack gets told to make a short video extolling one of their centers, they'd ask an engineer what the big ideas are.
See Simulated Space Testing of Propulsion Units and Systems, a NASA publication from 1967, for how this is handled.  I don't think the state of the art has changed much.

Offline Wolfram66

« Reply #578 on: 09/01/2017 08:36 PM »

Possibly RaptorVAC  upper stage variant development Raptor LCH4 for USAF?

Online envy887

• Liked: 1248
  • Likes Given: 779
« Reply #579 on: 09/01/2017 11:07 PM »

Possibly RaptorVAC  upper stage variant development Raptor LCH4 for USAF?

No. Block 5 upper stage, most likely.

Tags: