Author Topic: General Falcon and Dragon discussion (Thread 14)  (Read 142595 times)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 871
  • Likes Given: 715
Re: General Falcon and Dragon discussion (Thread 14)
« Reply #560 on: 07/08/2017 03:20 PM »
Tweet from Math Sundin
RUAG Space puts one ping pong ball in for every launch they are part of. @SpaceX designed their own and sent 500. @elonmusk

RUAG supplies parts for many satellites.  Some of their recent tweets mentioned the spacecraft separation system for Inmarsat 5 F4 and thermal components on Iridium NEXT.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 2526
  • Likes Given: 3530
« Reply #561 on: 07/08/2017 04:48 PM »
500   :o

Somebody's got big plans...

(The idea of hundreds of F9 launches is fantasy to some, but not everyone it seems.)
« Last Edit: 07/08/2017 04:50 PM by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Online intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #562 on: 07/09/2017 02:49 AM »

(The idea of hundreds of F9 launches is fantasy to some, but not everyone it seems.)

Minimum order?

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 2526
  • Likes Given: 3530
« Reply #563 on: 07/09/2017 10:15 AM »

Minimum order?

That's one possibility.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline Roy_H

• Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 1114
« Reply #564 on: 07/09/2017 12:33 PM »
Tweet from Math Sundin
RUAG Space puts one ping pong ball in for every launch they are part of. @SpaceX designed their own and sent 500. @elonmusk

RUAG supplies parts for many satellites.  Some of their recent tweets mentioned the spacecraft separation system for Inmarsat 5 F4 and thermal components on Iridium NEXT.

There are 9 ping-pong balls in the SpaceX tube. Have they been part of 9 launches, or do they represent the 9 Iridium Next satellites in the first launch? I suspect the latter in which case the number of balls will get used up faster.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 157
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #565 on: 07/09/2017 12:43 PM »
Is this a sign that RUAG will supply some parts for CommX satellites? I'd say yes.

Offline cppetrie

• Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #566 on: 07/09/2017 12:55 PM »
Tweet from Math Sundin

There are 9 ping-pong balls in the SpaceX tube. Have they been part of 9 launches, or do they represent the 9 Iridium Next satellites in the first launch? I suspect the latter in which case the number of balls will get used up faster.
But there are 10 satellites per launch so that doesn't seem like it would be it. I think it's one ball per mission.

Offline Roy_H

• Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 1114
« Reply #567 on: 07/09/2017 02:09 PM »
Tweet from Math Sundin

But there are 10 satellites per launch so that doesn't seem like it would be it. I think it's one ball per mission.

My bad, I thought the first launch was only 9 satellites. You must be correct.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk

Offline cscott

• Liked: 1666
  • Likes Given: 656
« Reply #568 on: 07/09/2017 03:31 PM »
Tweet from Math Sundin

I only count eight visible. It's *possible* there are two unseen. I agree it's pretty clear there's at least one unseen underneath the balls on the far side.

Offline cppetrie

• Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #569 on: 07/09/2017 03:49 PM »
Tweet from Math Sundin

I only count eight visible. It's *possible* there are two unseen. I agree it's pretty clear there's at least one unseen underneath the balls on the far side.
It's pretty clear in the tweet that each ball represents a launch they were involved with. That's two Iridium launches plus the InmarSat launch. They used to supply fairings early on although they don't anymore. But they also supply other parts for launches so some of those are for miscellaneous parts. They won't be adding one for every launch of Falcon, but there'll be plenty more added in the years to come.

Tags: