Author Topic: Pad 39A - Transition to SpaceX Falcon Heavy debut - Thread 3  (Read 444608 times)

Offline Herb Schaltegger

@SpaceX #39A progresses while range is down for maintenance. Strongback is showing off today. As seen from the @ExploreSpaceKSC tour.

https://twitter.com/julia_bergeron/status/888409067110232065

Interesting that the top segment of the TEL has been removed.

And we were assured by some here that SpaceX definitely does not want to ever again disassemble the top of their TEL. ;)
No. We are assured that SpaceX definitely doesn’t want to move the upper support cradle. ;)

The upper section is where payload ventilation equipment is located. Likely being prepped for the somewhat odd requirements of the OTV mission next month.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline shuttlefan

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Pad 39A - Transition to SpaceX Falcon Heavy debut - Thread 3
« Reply #341 on: 07/25/2017 03:33 pm »
Any pictures of the dismantling of the RSS from the past several days?

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #342 on: 07/25/2017 05:48 pm »
No. We are assured that SpaceX definitely doesn’t want to move the upper support cradle. ;)

No, if memory serves, we are assured that a member of the pad crew hopes, no doubt for good reasons, that he will never ever ever ever have to touch that again.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #343 on: 07/27/2017 04:08 pm »
« Last Edit: 07/27/2017 04:09 pm by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline shuttlefan

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #344 on: 07/27/2017 04:59 pm »
Many thanks!

Offline Kenp51d

• Orange, TX
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #345 on: 07/27/2017 05:45 pm »
How much of the pad will be taken down?
Will some of the existing structure be retained and used to build crew access on to it?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #346 on: 07/27/2017 05:48 pm »
How much of the pad will be taken down?
Will some of the existing structure be retained and used to build crew access on to it?

The whole Rotating Service Structure (RSS) is coming down the tower is staying. The crew access arm will be added to the top of the tower.

Offline Kenp51d

• Orange, TX
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #347 on: 07/27/2017 05:49 pm »
Thanks. Now I get it. Makes sense.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Offline corrodedNut

• Liked: 216
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #348 on: 07/28/2017 01:32 pm »
What about the "knuckle" or "hinge", is that coming down too? It appears removed on the CG renders, but that's not a guarantee of anything.

Offline soltasto

• Italy, Earth
  • Liked: 1118
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #349 on: 07/29/2017 11:41 pm »
Some new pics of 39A, credits to /u/gsahlin from reddit.

Here is the complete album with all the pics, a selection is re-uploaded with his permission here.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #350 on: 08/01/2017 08:14 pm »

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #351 on: 08/01/2017 09:22 pm »
From the recent Commercial Crew update at the NASA NAC HEO meeting:  the crew access arm that will be installed later this year.

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #352 on: 08/02/2017 04:30 am »
From the recent Commercial Crew update at the NASA NAC HEO meeting:  the crew access arm that will be installed later this year.
Anyone know what is meant by "F9 - Merlin 1D and Merlin Vacuum Engine (MVAC) in development testing"?
(As in, I could guess, and other can guess, but does anyone know?)

edit: And why is this in the "LC-39 ...Falcon Heavy debut" thread.  This is about commercial crew and the LC-39A work to that end. This slide is not about Falcon Heavy. 
« Last Edit: 08/02/2017 04:33 am by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #353 on: 08/02/2017 05:11 am »
Anyone know what is meant by "F9 - Merlin 1D and Merlin Vacuum Engine (MVAC) in development testing"?

edit: And why is this in the "LC-39 ...Falcon Heavy debut" thread.  This is about commercial crew and the LC-39A work to that end. This slide is not about Falcon Heavy.

The Merlin stuff is Block 5 testing (they mentioned multiple engines being tested at McGregor).

I didn't really see any point in creating a separate thread for the commercial crew updates at the pad.  (If such a thread already exists, let me know.)  Feel free to copy the post into any appropriate commercial crew thread.

Offline hkultala

• Liked: 748
  • Likes Given: 945
« Reply #354 on: 08/02/2017 05:21 am »

The Merlin stuff is Block 5 testing (they mentioned multiple engines being tested at McGregor).

I didn't really see any point in creating a separate thread for the commercial crew updates at the pad.  (If such a thread already exists, let me know.)  Feel free to copy the post into any appropriate commercial crew thread.

Was there some human-rating requirement of engines needing considerable extra margin?

so they need to test that the engines are capable of considrable higher thrust than what they will actually be using on the crewed mission?

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381
« Reply #355 on: 08/02/2017 06:06 am »

Was there some human-rating requirement of engines needing considerable extra margin?

so they need to test that the engines are capable of considrable higher thrust than what they will actually be using on the crewed mission?
My understanding is that there were some cracks forming in the turbines of the M1D that SpaceX deemed safe but NASA did not like so there were design changes to eliminate the cracking. I am not a metallurgist nor an aerospace engineer so I don't know how either assessment was made.  I don't think NASA had any requirement for the higher thrust though that may have been a side-effect.  I suspect the higher thrust was driven by SpaceX's internal requirements for block 5.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81677
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #356 on: 08/02/2017 11:08 am »
Here's the crew access arm picture on its own (pasted from the PDF at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/ccp_nac_july24_2017.pdf).
« Last Edit: 08/02/2017 11:15 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #357 on: 08/02/2017 05:44 pm »
Space KSC mentioned in the replies that the Crew Access Arm was being built in an undisclosed location. Was that mentioned somewhere else? A 'Yes' answer means I issed the earlier post.

I don't know where it was constructed, but this was mentioned recently in a NASA presentation:

A few SpaceX notes from listening to the presentation by Kathy Lueders at the NAC HEO Committee meeting yesterday (you can find the recordings here).

The first round of structural tests on Crew Dragon are done, continuing with further testing.
They should do the space suit qualification next quarter.
They have their 5th parachute test scheduled for this coming Saturday.
The crew access arm is at LC-39A, they are waiting until Spring to install it so SpaceX can get the pad up and running for their other launches.
They have been doing unit testing on the ECLSS systems and are getting ready for integrated testing.

There was some discussion about the LOC risk numbers, some general discussion about the SpaceX mishap investigation (there is a team from NASA LSP that is taking an independent look at it).  The presentation is a bit long (over an hour) but probably worth listening to if you're really into the commercial crew program.

Not sure if it was built here, but bet the CAA is being stored at this building just south of the pad as it was constructed by SpaceX after receiving the pad:

from maps.google.com

Online envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
« Reply #358 on: 08/02/2017 06:04 pm »
Here's the crew access arm picture on its own (pasted from the PDF at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/ccp_nac_july24_2017.pdf).

Why are there ventilation grilles on an access arm that's open to the weather? Can it be sealed somehow?

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 970
« Reply #359 on: 08/02/2017 06:09 pm »
Do we have any specs on the length off the CAA? The distance from FSS to F9 looks considerable?
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography