Author Topic: SpaceX to lease building at Port Canaveral, build another one  (Read 21275 times)

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2196
  • Likes Given: 445
3. There is way a stage can fit on the west side parking lot.

Just to be clear, I'm pretty sure Jim meant there's *no* way a stage can get into the building through the west side.

Offline Roy_H

• Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 1118
Well it sounds like the entire building is pretty much useless to SpaceX so the only value is the land beside the building where SpaceX will build a new building for storing returned stages.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2196
  • Likes Given: 445
Well it sounds like the entire building is pretty much useless to SpaceX so the only value is the land beside the building where SpaceX will build a new building for storing returned stages.

Maybe not useless. There's plenty of office space that they could use for engineers and admin people. And maybe they have other plans for the floor space, like bringing in more payloads for processing. I don't know what the payload situation is in the HIF, but if they want to be launching every 2 weeks they're going to need to have multiple payloads on site at any given time.

Offline CuddlyRocket

3. There is way a stage can fit on the west side parking lot.

Just to be clear, I'm pretty sure Jim meant there's *no* way a stage can get into the building through the west side.

No way a stage as long as the F9 1st stage ... etc. SpaceX looks ahead; perhaps they foresee the need to refurbish the second stage or one or more of the stages of another launcher? Or maybe even returning Dragons?

Maybe not useless. There's plenty of office space that they could use for engineers and admin people. And maybe they have other plans for the floor space, like bringing in more payloads for processing. I don't know what the payload situation is in the HIF, but if they want to be launching every 2 weeks they're going to need to have multiple payloads on site at any given time.

Payloads including their possible satellite constellation? The SpaceX spokesman said they were "[evaluating] the building's suitability to support SpaceXís business in Florida on a longer-term basis"; doesn't actually mention stage refurbishment.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1070
  • Likes Given: 1348
Is anything stopping SpaceX from tearing the whole thing down and building a new building?
Yes.  Ownership and/or the lease agreement.  That said, there's no guarantee that these couldn't change. 

Or as a fairing refurbishment site after they figure out recovery?  Or space to do something with recovered Crew Dragons (or other reusable variants of Dragon 2).  Etc.  Since SpaceX has said that they will "evaluate the building's suitability to support SpaceXís business", I don't think we can be sure one way or the other.  Maybe they decide that this building won't work at all and don't move to a long term lease.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Online wes_wilson

• Armchair Rocketeer
  • Florida
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 75
Perhaps this building becomes a dragon refurbishment building and the new building becomes the S1 refurbishment building. 
@SpaceX "When can I buy my ticket to Mars?"

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9061
  • Likes Given: 292
Not Dragons.  The facility doesn't support propellants.

Offline envy887

• Liked: 943
  • Likes Given: 609

Don't they normally load Dragon's propellants at the HIF anyway?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9061
  • Likes Given: 292

The point is that you don't work on a vehicle who's prop system has been previously wetted in a nonhazardous facility, unless it was flushed and purged (and disassembled and cleaned).
« Last Edit: 08/29/2016 04:01 PM by Jim »

Offline StuffOfInterest

• Just interested in space
  • McLean, Virginia, USA
  • Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 55
I really doubt there are plans to take core stages into the existing building.  I'd lay my money on the new building being oriented for easy drive in from the wharf with drive out the other side to head on back to the launch pads.  The existing building, with some refurb, I could see either being used for payload processing or perhaps component reprocessing after engines and/or legs are removed in the new building.

Offline rsdavis9

and/or legs are removed in the new building.

Man they really need to get those legs automatically refoldable.
Just recover the helium used to pressurize the cylinder and then apply pressure or hydraulic fluid to the other side and fold them right up.

bob

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
  • Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 949
and/or legs are removed in the new building.

Man they really need to get those legs automatically refoldable.
Just recover the helium used to pressurize the cylinder and then apply pressure or hydraulic fluid to the other side and fold them right up.

They are thought to be SINGLE acting with latching collets on each piston section...
What you are suggesting is not possible as built... they are one time use... unless taken apart and reset...

Online guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1510
  • Likes Given: 1247
What might come is they remove the pistons and fold the legs up. The transport ring looks like it has the space for them.

Offline rsdavis9

Or just have a release (lever) for the locking collets.
bob

Offline rpapo

• Cybernetic Mole
  • Michigan, USA
  • Liked: 444
  • Likes Given: 348
IMHO, a simple slot to insert a tool would be sufficient.  No need to carry the weight of the tool aloft.
« Last Edit: 08/30/2016 02:26 PM by rpapo »
An Apollo fanboy . . . fifty years ago.

Online JBF

• Liked: 330
  • Likes Given: 447
INHO, a simple slot to insert a tool would be sufficient.  No need to carry the weight of the tool aloft.

One step at a time.  The labor to pull off the legs and reattach is minimal compared to the stage cost.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but thatís the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1455
  • Likes Given: 2481
And... you want to make the downlock collets very easy to deploy and lock, and very very hard to disengage.  The current design has features reflecting the failure of a downlock collet, which resulted in LOV after a fully successful landing.

I doubt we'll see any changes to how easy the collets can be unlocked any time in the near future...
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Blackjax

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 33

The point is that you don't work on a vehicle who's prop system has been previously wetted in a nonhazardous facility, unless it was flushed and purged (and disassembled and cleaned).

Is there any practical way for them to turn this into a facility that can handle hazardous materials?

Offline bstrong

• Liked: 479
  • Likes Given: 296
I really doubt there are plans to take core stages into the existing building.  I'd lay my money on the new building being oriented for easy drive in from the wharf with drive out the other side to head on back to the launch pads.  The existing building, with some refurb, I could see either being used for payload processing or perhaps component reprocessing after engines and/or legs are removed in the new building.

Yes, I thought it was pretty clear from the quote in the Orlando Sentinel article that stages would be processed in the new building:

"We have concluded a temporary-use permit with SpaceX in anticipation of a longer-term lease agreementÖ.," Murray said,"to take over the SpaceHab building on the north side of the port. Thatís a 52,000 square foot building, and they are contemplating a hangar space of 40,000 square feet, where they are going to bring the rockets in and do the refurbishing."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/brinkmann-on-business/os-spacex-port-canveral-20160825-story.html

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 4373
  • Likes Given: 468
Port Canaveral building still has "For Lease" signs up front, but forklift and dumpster have appeared to begin cleanout.

Tags: