Author Topic: SpaceX to lease building at Port Canaveral, build another one  (Read 22411 times)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 1082
  • Likes Given: 862
Florida Today: SpaceX to lease building at Port Canaveral, build another one

This has been mentioned in another thread as a possible place for SpaceX to refurbish their cores, seems to be confirmed now.

The space launch company plans to lease the now-vacant former Spacehab building on the north side of the port, as well as construct a second building adjacent to that site, Murray told port commissioners.

The company will process and refurbish rockets, as well as potentially other functions, at the port, Murray said.
« Last Edit: 08/24/2016 05:34 PM by gongora »

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 243
  • Likes Given: 235
« Last Edit: 08/24/2016 05:49 PM by Chris Bergin »
NASA TV in HD:  history, FAQ and latest status

Online Rebel44

• Liked: 126
  • Likes Given: 627

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1202
  • Likes Given: 2943
Google Maps link: http://tinyurl.com/j92fkbv
Thanks for the link!  Interesting that Google Map's satellite photo seems pretty old.  No cargo cranes next to the ASDS "berth", no parking lot.: https://imgur.com/GXO20Ot
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 528
  • Likes Given: 233

Offline jabe

• Regular
  • Liked: 62
  • Likes Given: 4
will the ASDS eventually go there now rather than other port?

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1202
  • Likes Given: 2943
will the ASDS eventually go there now rather than other port?
OCISLY already docks at Port Canaveral.  Here is a useful Google map of SpaceX locations made by NSF user Raul.  Under "Florida Sites" click on "Port Canaveral Terminal, ASDS" for it's berth (slip?).  The new lease is on Magellan Rd., less than 1/2 a mile away.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
  • Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 1006
http://totalcommercial.com/attachment/20815/620%20Magellan%20Rd.%20Lease%20Flyer%20Brian%201-8-15.pdf

Looks like the building will need some modifications before it's usable for a full S1 stage ingress and egress...  :-\
Maybe that is not the plan... the 2nd (new) building houses S1's and this holds the rest...
Still... good location... less then 1/2 mile from where OCISLY ties up in port...  8)
« Last Edit: 08/24/2016 07:17 PM by John Alan »

Offline Brovane

• United States
  • Liked: 465
  • Likes Given: 958
"Look at that! If anybody ever said, "you'll be sitting in a spacecraft naked with a 134-pound backpack on your knees charging it", I'd have said "Aw, get serious". - John Young - Apollo-16

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 243
  • Likes Given: 235
Building overview: http://totalcommercial.com/listings/22254

Nice price 15/month.   8)

That link doesn't work for me (blank page in Firefox) but the PDF linked above quotes $15 per square foot.

At 53,360 SF total, that would be $800k for the whole building.
« Last Edit: 08/24/2016 11:56 PM by ChrisC »
NASA TV in HD:  history, FAQ and latest status

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 202
I'd imagine the Total Commercial link is in error and that it is listed at $15 per square foot per year.

Apparently, on the West Coast, prices are quoted by the month rather than the year, hence Shotwell saying that she pays "50 a square" for non-high-bay manufacturing -- i.e., 50 cents per month per square foot, or $6 a year.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 4913
  • Likes Given: 3333
if they keep their current berth at the docks it's hard to imagine much better location. But that's a lot of existing cleanroom space that is nice, but not quite big enough for S1. What else would they use it for? S2 eventually? payloads?
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline obi-wan

• Liked: 571
  • Likes Given: 3
Building overview: http://totalcommercial.com/listings/22254

Nice price 15/month.   8)

That link doesn't work for me (blank page in Firefox) but the PDF linked above quotes $15 per square foot.

At 53,360 SF total, that would be $800k for the whole building.

Typical cost of building a metal building like that would be $150/sq.ft., give or take - if they charged $15/sq.ft./month, the owner could pay off the entire build cost in a year (so I certainly hope it's $15/sq.ft./year)
« Last Edit: 08/25/2016 02:34 PM by obi-wan »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9395
  • Likes Given: 297
The building is in disrepair.  It hasn't been a clean room in years

Offline northenarc

• United States
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 269
 Seems like a good fit, can't ask for a better location and as a bonus they make nice with the port officials on the docking fees. I guess that reused cores (engines) will be considered proof fired and won't be returned to McGregor prior to reuse and will simply be static fired. And I note engines because there is no evidence that SpaceX will reuse all of the engines in a given core on reflight.

Offline Grandpa to Two

Another little gem that I'd never seen, that's why I love this site so much. To Raul, the work on this map is excellent I thank you very much!
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=1wvgFIPuOmI8da9EIB88tHo9vamo
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them" Galileo Galilei

Offline weepingdragon

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Old 2007/2008 listing, just to flesh out information of site.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/14939206/620-Magellan-Road-Cape-Canaveral-FL/

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
Maybe the person who authored the SPPF Experimenters' Handbook can answer some questions.

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1262
  • Likes Given: 1460
It must have been a very short and succinct handbook.
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
Info:

There is no crane in the main integration hall (only in the air lock and the integration hall extension)
The two airlock doors do not line up.
« Last Edit: 08/26/2016 12:37 PM by Jim »

Tags: