Author Topic: FAILURE: Gaofen-10 (GF-10) - CZ-4C - TSLC - August 31, 2016 (18:55 UTC)  (Read 47353 times)

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
Hey look we've made the tech news sites.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/06/china_silent_on_loss_of_gaofen_civilian_spy_sat/
Is it true that the images of drop zone debris have been removed by Chinese authorities?  I still see them on some of the web pages cited in this thread.

- Ed Kyle
some of them appear to have been replaced with other images potentially not from this flight. USSTRATCOM has yet to find anything in orbit so far and others believe that it did not make a return to sender orbit either.

Offline luhai167

• Liked: 87
  • Likes Given: 6
Hey look we've made the tech news sites.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/06/china_silent_on_loss_of_gaofen_civilian_spy_sat/
Is it true that the images of drop zone debris have been removed by Chinese authorities?  I still see them on some of the web pages cited in this thread.

- Ed Kyle
some of them appear to have been replaced with other images potentially not from this flight. USSTRATCOM has yet to find anything in orbit so far and others believe that it did not make a return to sender orbit either.
I have not seen any removal of news about 1st stage recovery, as for sites using random images from other launch es. that practice is very common in news media, since all rocket debris look the same to the average journalist and  general public.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Online Galactic Penguin SST

Still nothing from the Chinese media? If anything they probably won't at all now as "announcing" it days later would look even worse.

I'm a day late, but there's still nothing at all.  :-X
Rumors are pointing to yet another 3rd stage problem.

Rumors today points to the 3rd stage failing to re-ignite. Given that the usual MET for a LM-4C launch is as short as <30 minutes, I think it's safe to say the transfer orbit dips below the atmosphere.....  ::)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Sam Ho

• Liked: 580
  • Likes Given: 71
Still nothing from the Chinese media? If anything they probably won't at all now as "announcing" it days later would look even worse.

Rumors today points to the 3rd stage failing to re-ignite. Given that the usual MET for a LM-4C launch is as short as <30 minutes, I think it's safe to say the transfer orbit dips below the atmosphere.....  ::)

Peter B de Selding, quoting China Great Wall, seems to confirm it was a third stage problem:
China Great Wall Industry: Long March 4C failure Sept 1 was isolated to stage only used on 4C, so other Long March variants unaffected.
https://twitter.com/pbdes/status/775717510972858369

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
No chance it's a stealth payload, right?

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
No chance it's a stealth payload, right?
no just the usual civil satellite that is used by the Ministry of Defense and other ministries. Afterall some of the GF satellites are used to track the movements of the 200 and increasing number of US Naval vessels being moved to operate round the clock in the South China Sea as an escalation of allied forces.
« Last Edit: 09/14/2016 04:29 am by russianhalo117 »

Offline limen4

• Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 63
I am not sure if the image shows indeed GF-10.
« Last Edit: 10/30/2016 04:42 pm by limen4 »

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
I am not sure if the image shows indeed GF-10.
What does the cover say, what it is?

Looks indeed new to me and appears not not to be a reuse of another satellite image previously shown on a cover.
« Last Edit: 10/30/2016 05:41 pm by Skyrocket »

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
The orange text says: "Gaofen-10 satellite launch commemoration"

Offline limen4

• Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 63
... and the black rectangular postmark is saying that the launch was not succesfull due to a rocket failure.

Online jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775

I know that LM-4C can restart its 3rd stage, but I thought that was mainly for depletion - do we know the detailed
launch profile of the 4C with the usual times of the burns?
I was under the impression that it mainly followed the old 4B profile with coast to stage 2 apogee and a single
insertion burn.

Oh, and any new news on this failure since October?
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Online Galactic Penguin SST

I know that LM-4C can restart its 3rd stage, but I thought that was mainly for depletion - do we know the detailed
launch profile of the 4C with the usual times of the burns?
I was under the impression that it mainly followed the old 4B profile with coast to stage 2 apogee and a single
insertion burn.

Oh, and any new news on this failure since October?

Hmm I don't think so - you can find a timeline for the FY-3C launch in the post below and the time stamps were given as follows:

The projected times of the different launch phases are visible in this picture (posted on the 9ifly Chinese space forum).

2nd stage separation: T+04:54
3rd stage shutdown #1: T+09:59
3rd stage re-ignition: T+19:09
Spacecraft separation: T+20:36

Also you can see below that the performance graph to SSO for the CZ-4 series - the 4B curve falls out much faster than the 4C one as altitude increases. I doubt that using the re-ignition just for de-orbiting the third stage would result in such a difference. ;)

Unfortunately I don't see anything announced yet since October - maybe we will see some news when it returns to service  ::)

« Last Edit: 12/31/2016 05:56 am by Galactic Penguin SST »
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Online jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
 Thanks. I had those FY3C timings in my archive but had forgotten about them. Convincing.

-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline SmallKing

• Zhejiang, China, the Earth
  • Liked: 189
  • Likes Given: 220
Today some PDF images(with unknown source so far, sorry I can't find the full PDF) about GF-10 circulates on Chinese Weibo, which indicates the GF-10 satellite was a 0.5m resolution SAR satellite(maybe YG-29 series?)

GF-10 SAR卫星的精度验证
条带模式无控平面精度优于3米
聚束模式无控平面精度优于1.5米
可生成干涉图像
立体精度满足1:10000测图精度
Some are bound for happiness, some are bound to glory, some are bound to live with less, who can tell your story?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography