Author Topic: Future Engineers  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 700
  • Likes Given: 728
Future Engineers
« on: 02/18/2016 02:52 PM »
Future Engineers Calls on Young Trekkies to Design 3D Printable Eating Tools for Outer Space
http://tinyurl.com/jnthhrh

" Future Engineers is reaching out to the youngest and brightest minds to help prepare the tools of the future that will help us eat in outer space, asking students from Kindergarten to 12th grade to create a digital 3D model of a non-edible, food-related object to be 3D printed in space in the year 2050.

NASA will provide the top ten chosen designs from both the Junior and Teen groups with a 3D Printing in Space Prize Pack. The four finalist in each of the two age groups will win a 3D printer for their school, and will also receive a PancakeBot pancake printer for themselves. The Grand Prize for The Star Trek Replicator Challenge is a free trip to New York City, where the winner will visit the Space Shuttle Enterprise with an actual astronaut, as well as take home a mystery Prize Pack from Star Trek!"

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Prober

• Nevada
Re: Future Engineers
« Reply #1 on: 02/18/2016 02:53 PM »
this video is decent for teaching "thinking in 3D" and basic CAD concepts.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #2 on: 07/26/2016 06:48 PM »
Experimental Aircraft Association Members Can Now Access SOLIDWORKS Software for Free

https://3dprint.com/143719/solidworks-eaa-partnership/

"The EAA’s many members just gained a new resource – and it’s a big one. All members now have free access to Dassault Systèmes SOLIDWORKS Student Design Kit – EAA Maker Edition software, as well as MySolidWorks online video tutorials and the MySolidWorks manufacturing network, plus additional training and design resources. It’s all powered by the SOLIDWORKS 3DExperience Platform, which has been showing up in the work of major commercial aircraft manufacturers lately as well."

Offline Hobbes-22

• Acme Engineering
    • Acme Engineering shop
  • Liked: 98
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #3 on: 08/06/2016 06:46 PM »
interesting, until you read this:

Export functionality in the SDK is limited to SolidWorks native file formats only

Which would exclude .stl and other formats suitable for 3D printing.

Tags: