Author Topic: General Falcon and Dragon discussion (Thread 13)  (Read 396544 times)

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 2231
  • Likes Given: 1584
Re: General Falcon and Dragon discussion (Thread 13)
« Reply #940 on: 08/19/2016 05:25 pm »
new parachute test

https://blogs.nasa.gov/commercialcrew/2016/08/19/spacex-conducts-successful-crew-dragon-parachute-system-test/

Dragon is hard to make out in the pictures.  Is the trunk still attached???

It looks like an oddly shaped Dragon mass simulator - Presumably to make it fit inside the cargo plane?

Zoom in and it's definitely a mass simulator.

Edit: The NASA blog calls it a "Crew Dragon test article."
« Last Edit: 08/19/2016 05:33 pm by RonM »

Offline biosehnsucht

• Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 319
« Reply #941 on: 08/19/2016 06:34 pm »
That seems like an unfortunate location for the mass simulator to end up in, heading straight for a large hill / small 'mountain'!

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #942 on: 08/19/2016 07:19 pm »
That seems like an unfortunate location for the mass simulator to end up in, heading straight for a large hill / small 'mountain'!

Clear desert air + telephoto lens.
Hills are probably miles away.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #943 on: 08/20/2016 05:20 am »

Someone captured it from the NASA TV stream.  It will probably get posted with sound and explanation and maybe fuller views later.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline garidan

• Italy
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #944 on: 08/20/2016 08:24 pm »
Why with trunk attached? What situation are they simulating? Even ground abort had trunk detached

Inviato dal mio XT1032 utilizzando Tapatalk

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #945 on: 08/20/2016 08:28 pm »
It's a mass simulator which mimics the upper end and parachute bay of a Dragon 2. I'd assume the flat side is a deployment sled.
DM

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
  • Liked: 1130
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #946 on: 08/21/2016 01:55 am »
SpaceX - Port - 39A and More 08-20-2016
USLaunchReport

I reject your reality and substitute my own--Doctor Who

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
« Reply #947 on: 08/26/2016 10:04 pm »
I was wondering:

Will there be a future Dragon mission that will intentionally splash down using only two main chutes? I ask that because, like Blue Origin's New Shepard capsule, Dragon can safely land with a minimum of two chutes. The third one is for redundancy.

If that type of chute test will be conducted in the near future, I'm guessing that SpX-10 would do such a thing.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #948 on: 08/26/2016 10:15 pm »
I was wondering:

Will there be a future Dragon mission that will intentionally splash down using only two main chutes? I ask that because, like Blue Origin's New Shepard capsule, Dragon can safely land with a minimum of two chutes. The third one is for redundancy.

If that type of chute test will be conducted in the near future, I'm guessing that SpX-10 would do such a thing.

That is not something you would do on an operational mission.  It would subject the payload to unnecessarily high forces on landing.

Offline IntoTheVoid

• USA
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #949 on: 08/26/2016 10:15 pm »
I was wondering:

Crew dragon will nominally use four chutes, so one chute out would probably be pretty similar to the current Dragon with three. The four chute test was just recently discussed here.

new parachute test

https://blogs.nasa.gov/commercialcrew/2016/08/19/spacex-conducts-successful-crew-dragon-parachute-system-test/

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #950 on: 08/26/2016 10:19 pm »
I was wondering:

Crew dragon will nominally use four chutes, so one chute out would probably be pretty similar to the current Dragon with three. The four chute test was just recently discussed here.

new parachute test

Bet you could do it with just one chute, though probably with broken teeth and bruises. People are pretty tough.

Wouldn't recommend it.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
« Reply #951 on: 08/27/2016 02:08 am »
I was wondering:

new parachute test

Sorry, but I was referring to the unmanned cargo Dragon when I asked about the two-chute only splashdown.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline IntoTheVoid

• USA
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #952 on: 08/27/2016 02:24 am »
I was wondering:

Sorry, but I was referring to the unmanned cargo Dragon when I asked about the two-chute only splashdown.

If they felt a two chute test was important for cargo Dragon, then I'm sure they would have (or did) accomplish it before flying nine operational missions and that no such test is forthcoming.

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography