Author Topic: ARCA Space Corporation  (Read 33817 times)

Offline meberbs

• Liked: 1051
  • Likes Given: 273
Re: ARCA Space Corporation
« Reply #140 on: 07/17/2017 02:57 PM »
On a more serious note, those really are hobby electronics that have a questionable robustness when sitting nicely on a table for more than a few hours ... when shaken and stirred during a launch, would you trust them even with the most inexpesive nanosat?
IANARS, but as an automations engineer I know that you wouldn't use such equipment on a factory floor on Earth, let alone in space ...
I happen to know for a fact that an arduino can operate successfully through a suborbital rocket launch. Granted, that was a payload where failure was acceptable, and I would have had serious doubts about the rocket if its electronics were similar.

(I still agree this is one of the multiple red flags this company is showing)

Online LooksFlyable

• USA
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #141 on: 07/23/2017 10:39 PM »
Hey guys I have been following around ARCA for some time as well. Was checking to see if there was another video posted this week as they were supposed to complete the engine structure and looks like they still haven't uploaded anything. Though maybe they had a setback but then I ran across this on the Facebook page:

They are also offering to send your stuff for free as part of the test flight and having a competition. They do warn it could get destroyed.

EDIT: Nevermind. Looks like it's up:
« Last Edit: 07/24/2017 07:41 PM by LooksFlyable »

Offline josespeck

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #142 on: 07/25/2017 04:24 PM »
It works only with H2O2 ?.
And the kerosene ?.
« Last Edit: 07/25/2017 04:25 PM by josespeck »

Offline Ictogan

• Germany
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #143 on: 07/25/2017 04:37 PM »
It works only with H2O2 ?.
And the kerosene ?.
Demonstrator 3 will be a monoprop rocket. No kerosene involved.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 265
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #144 on: 07/25/2017 11:46 PM »
They are searching for investors on Facebook and hinting, that their stock can only gain value and not lose, regardless of the flight of their Demonstrator-3.

https://www.facebook.com/arcaspace/posts/10156397089038332

« Last Edit: 07/25/2017 11:47 PM by Skyrocket »

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 385
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #145 on: 07/26/2017 03:15 AM »
Any failures encountered during launch will not result in a loss of stock value, as we are a well established company.

That's a mighty strange thing to say.  Unless they have a profitable sideline making and selling widgets somewhere, or some filthy-rich investor willing to under-write all expenses with no impact to any other investor, the money to pay for failures (and current on-going 'experiments' like Demonstrator-3) has to come from somewhere.  ???
« Last Edit: 07/26/2017 03:19 AM by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Online LooksFlyable

• USA
« Reply #146 on: 07/26/2017 04:50 PM »
Any failures encountered during launch will not result in a loss of stock value, as we are a well established company.

That's a mighty strange thing to say.  Unless they have a profitable sideline making and selling widgets somewhere, or some filthy-rich investor willing to under-write all expenses with no impact to any other investor, the money to pay for failures (and current on-going 'experiments' like Demonstrator-3) has to come from somewhere.  ???

I think they are saying the success or failure of the Demonstrator 3 test itself, which is a test flight of a very cheap expendable test rocket, isn't going to really affect the company's value long term. If they make their timeline, they will have built and launched an entire suborbital rocket in the time it takes most companies to build a test engine, so I have to give them credit there. I would honestly hope it doesn't affect them. Tests are usually a sign of positive progress whether they go boom or not. If it was an actual commercial rocket taking a commercial payload it might be a different story. But a test of an expendable rocket is rarely a complete failure no matter what happens to the rocket. I guess your computers could crash during the test and you don't get to learn anything, which would be bad.

Since they plan on making them expendable their "tests" really began the day they started producing it. How long it takes, how to build it, all of that is part of the test of building expendable rockets that's meant to be produced in large volumes, really fast. I gotta say, if they can really pull off the August launch date that has to be some kind of record of going from paper rocket to launch. Maybe it's just me, but that seems really freaking fast. I know it's a very simple rocket, but still, definitely not what I am used to when following companies who build rockets. "Here's a new rocket design we drew up, we're going to launch it in 3 months!" I honestly thought it was a mistake and meant 2018, because it seemed like such a crazy timeline.

« Last Edit: 07/26/2017 04:51 PM by LooksFlyable »

Offline RDMM2081

• Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #147 on: 07/26/2017 05:00 PM »
I'm no expert, but promising a stock "can't go down" seems dubious at best, illegal at worst.

And of course #ItsATest, but there are really two options to how they fail that test.  If there is some material flaw in the engine they are testing, they have a bad day, Oh well, try again.  If they try, and the data they get from the test is drastically different from their model of what performance they think their aerospike engine design should have, that could shake them very badly.  This is a much less likely option, but this is why tests are done, and it is an option...

Edit to add: I wish them luck, they are an exciting company to watch, and I even did consider buying a handful of shares for a giggle...
« Last Edit: 07/26/2017 05:04 PM by RDMM2081 »

Online LooksFlyable

• USA
« Reply #148 on: 07/26/2017 05:16 PM »
I'm no expert, but promising a stock "can't go down" seems dubious at best, illegal at worst.

And of course #ItsATest, but there are really two options to how they fail that test.  If there is some material flaw in the engine they are testing, they have a bad day, Oh well, try again.  If they try, and the data they get from the test is drastically different from their model of what performance they think their aerospike engine design should have, that could shake them very badly.  This is a much less likely option, but this is why tests are done, and it is an option...

Edit to add: I wish them luck, they are an exciting company to watch, and I even did consider buying a handful of shares for a giggle...

I am thinking about it too. I have been following them a long time, haven't really pulled off anything yet, but I just see it more from the perspective of persistence. They should have been dead a long time ago. At least 100 times over. Yet they just won't go away. Immigrated a rocket company to the USA and started over. That's gotta be a first and even harder than it sounds. Stooped as low as Arcaboard and skateboards with the cringiest videos I have ever had to endure just to make a buck to keep going. I mean, somehow, he gets around. I just get the feeling he really wants a rocket bad to fly to space and he's willing to go to any length to make that happen, which could be a good thing, or a very bad, dangerous, thing. Still debating it. Rocketlab did go from 0 to a billion in 5 years, and I'd be helping a rocket company, so I guess it wouldn't be the worst way I ever threw away some money.
« Last Edit: 07/26/2017 05:17 PM by LooksFlyable »

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #149 on: 07/26/2017 07:02 PM »
Think of it as kickstarter donation. If you get luck it might buy you a suborbital seat.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 385
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #150 on: 07/28/2017 01:02 AM »
I am thinking about it too. I have been following them a long time, haven't really pulled off anything yet, but I just see it more from the perspective of persistence. They should have been dead a long time ago. At least 100 times over. Yet they just won't go away. Immigrated a rocket company to the USA and started over. That's gotta be a first and even harder than it sounds. Stooped as low as Arcaboard and skateboards with the cringiest videos I have ever had to endure just to make a buck to keep going. I mean, somehow, he gets around. I just get the feeling he really wants a rocket bad to fly to space and he's willing to go to any length to make that happen, which could be a good thing, or a very bad, dangerous, thing. ...

If you'd really like to know the back-story, have a read of How to Make a Spaceship by Julian Guthrie:
https://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Spaceship-Renegades-Spaceflight/dp/1594206724
He devotes more than a few pages to Mr Popescu and his determination to succeed..
« Last Edit: 07/28/2017 01:03 AM by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline ringsider

• Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #151 on: 07/28/2017 06:31 AM »

Nobody can guarantee a stock won't go to zero, not even the wizards of Wall Street, as all those super-smart employee shareholders in Bear Sterns and Lehman Brothers found out in 2008. Bear Sterns had $18B in cash reserves on Monday 10 March and just $3.5B by Thursday. By Friday they didn't have enough cash to continue trading and the firm itself was worthless. Literally all the trading/analysts/management employees with stock went from multi-multi-millionaires to hard luck stories in 4 days, and most of them didn't see it coming fast enough to bail out.

The SEC actually puts out a warning note for social media-based investment schemes:

The promise of “guaranteed” returns.

Every investment entails some level of risk, which is reflected in the rate of return you can expect to receive. If your investment is 100% safe, you’ll most likely get a low return. Most fraudsters spend a lot of time trying to convince investors that extremely high returns are “guaranteed” or that the investment is a “can’t miss opportunity.” Don’t believe it.

https://www.sec.gov/oiea/investor-alerts-bulletins/ia_socialmediafraud.html

I even did consider buying a handful of shares for a giggle...

Hey I have some magic seeds for sale, only $201.35 each. If you buy 100 I give you 100 special super magic seeds (certified *GENUINE* 114% magic content by the American Magic Seed Assay Corp. of New Orleans) for free. Let me send you my Western Union number....
« Last Edit: 07/28/2017 06:39 AM by ringsider »

Offline josespeck

« Reply #152 on: 08/03/2017 05:56 PM »

Offline Phil Stooke

• Canada
  • Liked: 189
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #153 on: 08/03/2017 09:33 PM »
"I'm no expert, but promising a stock "can't go down" seems dubious at best, illegal at worst."

Unless your stock is already worth zero, I suppose.  What does the ticker say at the moment?

Offline ringsider

• Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #154 on: 08/06/2017 11:44 AM »
"Accusations are flying that ESA’s ExoMars Schiaparelli lander crashed into the Red Planet due to poor ground testing conducted by a Romanian company named ARCA Space."

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2016/11/28/arca-space-blame-failure-esas-exomars-lander/
« Last Edit: 08/06/2017 11:44 AM by ringsider »

Offline Craftyatom

• Software!
  • Arizona, USA
  • Liked: 229
  • Likes Given: 1297
« Reply #155 on: 08/06/2017 05:17 PM »
"Accusations are flying that ESA’s ExoMars Schiaparelli lander crashed into the Red Planet due to poor ground testing conducted by a Romanian company named ARCA Space."

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2016/11/28/arca-space-blame-failure-esas-exomars-lander/

Quote from: Dumitru Popescu, ARCA Space Corporation manager
We are at ease that we did all we could do: to run a specific test we should have flown very closely to the Russian base in Sevastopol. Russia has just annexed Crimea and we risked generating a conflict between the Russian Federation and NATO.

I'll admit, it's not an excuse I've heard before.  "We couldn't perform the test properly because if we had it might've started a war."

Which then begs the question (among others): if they couldn't perform the test properly, why was ESA content with their results?  Did ARCA fail to make clear that they weren't performing a high-fidelity test, or did ESA know about it and accept the risk?  Very interesting.
All aboard the HSF hype train!  Choo Choo!

Online LooksFlyable

• USA
« Reply #156 on: 08/09/2017 01:53 AM »
This week's episode is up.

Flight of the Aerospike: Episode 8 Feed System Components

Offline josespeck

« Reply #157 on: 08/15/2017 11:03 AM »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 2431
  • Likes Given: 797
« Reply #158 on: 08/26/2017 12:15 AM »
The test tank and the feed system are assembled and ready for aerospike engine integration.

https://twitter.com/arcaspace/status/901225667760672768

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
  • Liked: 181
  • Likes Given: 232
« Reply #159 on: 08/26/2017 06:09 PM »
Just an observation - I have done a fair amount of aviation/space payload prototype and integration work - it is required in the US to use A/N (Army/Navy) series certified fasteners on anything that flies, it is also possible to use black oxide coated fasteners if they are documented - I have never, ever seen chromed fasteners on any flight hardware.

Tags: